Places to eat in Hawaii (State of)

Eggs and Toast
    Fried Rice
    Syrup Time
    by cjg1

Most Viewed Restaurants in Hawaii (State of)

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo

Ono Hawaiian Food: THE # 1 in Hawaiian food

by TropicGirl77 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is by far the best Hawaiian food I have tasted yet! The restaurant is small, and crowded, but after you taste their menu, you will not wonder why people flock to get this ONO HAWAIIAN FOOD! You will find lots of posters/pictures of famous people who have dined here ... service with real ALOHA!

Favorite Dish: The Hawaiian combination plate is the bomb! Included on this order was kalua pig (roast pork), laulau (pork and butterfish baked in taro leaves) pipikaula (beef jerky, hawaiian style) lomi lomi salmon (diced tomotoes, salted salmon and onions), rice, poi and haupia (coconut pudding).

• Slapshot1's Profile Photo

PONDS, HILO...DINING ON THE EDGE: Enjoy you Steak and Seafood in a beautiful setting

by Slapshot1 Updated Nov 29, 2009

The Ponds Dining on the Edge was suggested to my wife and I by a local resident of Hilo and we were very happy to be introduced to this wonderful restaurant to dine in. Ponds was a very tranquil dining experience. The restaurant is on stilts above a very large koi pond that is at least an acre in size. It was absolutely gorgeous. While enjoying drinks and dinner you can slide open your window at yout table and enjoy the peaceful scenery of the pond and beautiful koi. It was an elegant but yet very relaxing place to dine at. All in all it was a great experience both in food, service and atmoshpere.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my 10oz. Rib Eye Steak that was cooked to perfection just as I ordered it. It was served with fresh vegatables, smooth and creamy garlic mashed potatoes, pumpkin soup, salad and fresh hot rolls. This just seemed to make the atmosphere that much better. My wife enjoyed a prime rib dinner that looked sensational. She did not have much left on her plate so I know it was good, plus I had to sample her leftovers just to know for sure and it was very tasty. Desserts were offered to us but we had to pass as we were very satisfied and did not have room for anymore eats. The cakes looked very fabulous and I must indulge the next time we dine at Ponds. Ponds gets high marks from me!!! Thanks Deb and Rick, you have a great restaurant.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Mama's Fish House: Five-Star Diamond Hospitality Award - Seven Years

by deecat Updated Jun 4, 2005

For an unbelievable eating experience, be sure to have dinner at Mama's Fish House.

This restaurant is a converted beach house located in a coconut grove on a secluded white sand beach. I remember that the atmospere inside was almost as wonderful as outside. All the rooms had spectacular flower arrangements and printed table clothes. The windows were unique; they were hinged and left open to let the tradewinds in. Tropical hardwood walls were decorated with Polynesian artifacts and occasional original oil paintings. There are excellent views of the ocean and beach.

Outside there is a canoe-type boat in the sand with large torches on each side of it.
    Many people have pictures taken in that location.

Mama's Fish House has been voted the most poular restaurant on Maui for many years. In addition, it has won the five-star Diamond Hospitality Award for seven years running. Also the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence has been awarded the restaurant for seven years.

They have a lunch menu as well as the dinner menu and boast about Mama's "Our Gift Shop".

Favorite Dish: The menu includes many APPETIZERS such as Shrimp Won Tons with Macadamia nut dipping sauce, Macadamia Nut Crab Cakes with fire and ice relish, and Ahi Poke (Sashimi-quality Ahi, Maui onion, soy sauce and roasted Kukui nut).

They offer SOUPS such as Polynesian Lobster Soup with coconut, fresh spinach and breadfruit crisp or Seafood Chowder with crab, clams, and fish.

The menu also offers various SALADS.
    Most of the ENTREES have to do with seafood, but they do offer Crispy Kalua Duck with mango-mui glaze and Big Island "Kamuela Pride" New York Steak with ***ake Mushroom bordelaise.

Allan and I ordered and really enjoyed a fresh Mahimahi caught that day along the north shore of Maui and stuffed with lobster, crab, and Maui onion and baked in a Macadamia nut crust. It was so delicious

Mama's Fish House is a bit pricey, but we thought that it was worth every cent we spent.

• Beaches
    • Seniors

Kona Brewing Company: Beer and Pizza that is out of this World

by Slapshot1 Updated Dec 2, 2009

It was by sheer luck that I found out about the Kona Brewing Company. Upon my wife and I arriving in Kona, we went shopping at Walmart to stock up on necessary supplies for our ten day stay in Hawaii. It was there I found Kona Beer from the local brewery. I purchaced a six pack of Pipeline Porter made with 100% Kona Coffee. This was a limited release and it was an exceptional tasting brew. I went back and purchaced a six pack of thier Fire Rock Pale Ale two days later to tantalize my taste buds. Wow, I really enjoyed this one too. A couple days later my wife and I were at the local laundermat doing a load of laundry when I noticed that The Kona Brewing Company was right behind us. It was as if God pointed me in the right direction. I found out that they did tours and had a restaurant and made it a point to have a visit. Although we were not able to take a tour of the facilities due to time constraints, we were able to enjoy fantastic beer and food. The pizza selection is amazing and mine was to die for. All of the food that I witnessed being served looked very appetizing and lured my senses. Awww, this is paradise in paradise!!! The restaurant had a great vibe about it. There was seating indoors as well as outdoors and it was packed with people laughing and enjoying themselves . I only wish I would have found The Kona Brewing Company earlier in our stay and had more time to enjoy the Brews n Foods!!!

Favorite Dish: The pizza I chose was the Paniolo. It was thier Homeade Fire Rock Pale Ale Salsa, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, ground beef, crushed tortilla chips, green bell peppers and tomaotes. Topped with fresh romaine lettuce. Jalapenos and sour cream were available upon request and I made sure to make good on it. I washed it down with a Black Sand Porter. It was smooth dark and had a chocolate malted flavor. This was the way to finish my stay in Hawaii. I recommend Kona Brewing Company with Two Glasses Way Up!!! Plan a trip to Kona just to visit the brewery, you won't be let down.

• Beer Tasting

Smorgy's Restaurant: Disappointing Breakfast at Smorgy's Restaurant

by joiwatani Updated Jul 14, 2007

The restaurant is pretty close to Waikiki Beach and a few blocks away from our hotel. The restaurant is located in a very nice location - corner street. The acacia tree is shading the restaurant and there were some tables outside the main building adjacent to a pond. The tree makes the restaurant cool. My first impression was very nice until we started eating. The birds came and started helping themselves with our food! It was disgusting! No matter how I shooed them away, they still kept coming back!!!

The food was actually bad. Everything they served tasted awful. I pretty much forced myself to swallow the food! Even the scrambled eggs were badly cooked!

My husband complained to the manager. I didn't even realize that while I was waiting for him on our table, he was looking for a clean plate! He had to go through six plates before he got a clean one! He said, he even found a spaghetti noodle on one of the plates!

The fruits they were serving were old. The presentation of the food was also unappetizing! They even served canned fruit! Look, this is Hawaii!!! It is very famous for its Dole pineapples and ripe papayas! The restaurant should have availed of their many island fruits. They could have raised their price a little bit but make their food special! And, hello??? Clean up the place!

Favorite Dish: I didn't like anything in this restaurant. I don't recommend it to tourists. I highly recommend that people will report them to the DPH in Hawaii!!!

• Adventure Travel

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

The Pineapple Room at the Macy's, Ala Moana: Try the Meat Loaf, it will surprise you!

by joiwatani Updated Jul 13, 2007

This is absolutely a nice restaurant - not pricy even! The place is considered fine dining although the cost is not that expensive! The servers and great and the food are excellent. The restaurant is clean and spacious. The tables are neatly covered with white linen and the chairs are very comfortable to sit on. What is special about this restaurant is that it is located in Ala Moana where you can shop - where you can find bargains or you can choose to shop at the signature shops! It is a place to be!

Favorite Dish: I like the Caesar's salad and the Meat Loaf. The Caesar's Salad is a meal in itself. It has a Hawaiian taste on it! It is mixed with broiled chicken and has a tinge of spice on it. The loco moco comes with macaroni salad (Hawaiian-style of course - mixed with peas), a corn on the cub and mashed potatoes. The meat loaf is really good! It fills you up!

TEX DRIVE IN: HOT "ONO" MALSASDAS

by Slapshot1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tex Drive In is a local favorite and famous on the Island for thier Hot Fresh Malasadas. Malasadas are a Portuguese Donut rolled in sugar and you may have it filled with fruit if you choose to do so. You can't just order one. Take my word for it and enjoy them with a hot cup of Kona coffee. Stop in the next time you are on The Big Island and treat your taste buds to Sheer Heaven!!! Tex is not just famous for thier baked items, but for a variety of foods such as American, Mexican, Asain, Portuguese and Hawaiian, which is in thier arsenal of delights.
    The restaurant itself caters to all costumer's needs. One can drive through or go inside to eat. We chose to sit out in the patio which is a very relaxed atmosphere. The prices are very resonable for the quality and quantity of food that you recieve. There also seems to be something to satisfy everyone on their menu. They serve breakfast lunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: I love the local favorites. For breakfast there is The Moco Loco which is a bowl of white rice with brown gravy over it, a sirloin pattie and two eggs on top with more gravy....Yummy!!! It really is great. They do have many different versions of the Loco. Some choose Spam or Turkey in place of the sirloin. I have eaten many things from the menu from shrimp burgers to chinese chicken salads, and they kept me coming back for more. My wife and I took a two hour detour just to get Malasadas at the end of our visit to Hawaii. Visit Tex Drive In and enjoy!!!

• hamamatsujoe's Profile Photo

Zippy's: Great Food at a Great Price!

by hamamatsujoe Updated Dec 7, 2003

Voted the Best Family Restaurant by Hawaiian residents, Zippy's restaurants offer Napoleon's bakeries, take-out windows, and "local-style" plates at very reasonable prices. Most are open 24 hours and some even serve alcohol. There currently are 23 restaurants on the island of Oahu and Zippy's is expanding to the Neighbor Islands.
    If you want to try some local (i.e., Hawaiian-style) food, Zippy's is the place to eat at.

Favorite Dish: Zippy's is famous for their chili--they sell 110 tons a month! Besides the "normal" beef and bean chili, they also offer veggie chili (i.e., no beef) and even beanless chili!
    Other popular dishes include the chili dog plate, the classic Zip Pac (bento), healthful Dr. Shintani meals, Zip Min (noodle soup, similar to ramen, served with won ton, vegetables, and other goodies) and Portuguese bean soup.
    Again, if you want to try some Hawaiian-style food, Zippy's is the place to eat at. You wont be disappointed!

• hamamatsujoe's Profile Photo

'Ono Hawaiian Foods: Delicious Hawaiian Food

by hamamatsujoe Updated Apr 4, 2011

Affectionately known simply as 'Onos to the local people, this place serves some very good Hawaiian food. The word "'ono" is Hawaiian, meaning "delicious", which best describes the food here.

There's *always* a line of customers (both locals and tourists) waiting to get in. It's a small restaurant, but the wait is well worth it.

If you want to try some authentic Hawaiian food, I recommend Ono's. Among the dishes they serve are homemade laulau (ti-leaf wrapped meats, vegetables and fish), kalua pig (steamed pork), lomi salmon (a mixture of salmon, tomato, onions, and green onions), beef stew and pipikaula (Hawaiian-style beef jerky). You can also eat haupia, which is a Hawaiian coconut dessert.

Favorite Dish: If you eat here, I suggest getting either the Combination Plate or the Kalua Pig Plate. The Combo Plate is *very* large and filling and can easily be shared by two people.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Oceanaria at Pacific Beach Hotel: Have brunch at the "Oceanaria" Restaurant!

by joiwatani Updated Apr 4, 2011

Oceanaria is the name of the restaurant - it is because of its huge aquarium! I am not sure how much gallons of water in there but I tell you, it is about three stories of water! The tables of the restaurant are adjacent to the aquarium so you can see the sting rays swimming and all those tropical fishes. It is absolutely entertaining to just see the blowfish come close to the window and look at you while you are eating!

The hotel workers, the waiters and waitresses are very warm and friendly. The food is excellent. Try their freshly-cut papayas!

Before you get in, let the servers know what kind of breakfast you are getting - they have the hot breakfast and the continental breakfast. If you choose the hot breakfast, it is more expensive by $10.00. The continental only includes the fruits and the cold food like cereals.

The hot breakfast includes everything - French toast (great!), sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, fried rice, freshly cut fruits ( pineapple, papayas, watermelon, canteloupes, etc). There is a choice of three different drinks - pineapple included.

Favorite Dish: I kind of like everything. But, I attacked their freshly-cut papayas. The fruits are super fresh! The french toast is so good in the morning. I also love their fried rice.

• Beaches

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

An array of restaurants and fastfoods!: Eat and drink at the Ala Moana's Makai Food Court!

by joiwatani Updated Jul 14, 2007

There are so many fine dining and fast food restaurants inside the Ala Moana Center. There is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mexican, Italian, Indian, American, Filipino restaurants at the food court. There are also take out centers for drinks, ice cream, bubble tea, Filipino Halo-halo. Available dessert and drinks stores are the Ifiore Italian Yogurt, the Cookie Corner, the Haagen-Dazs, The GodivaDairy Queen, Dippin' Dots, Dave's Ice Cream and the Pineapple and Coconut Hut.

I can't name all of the choices of restaurants but we tried Lahaina Chicken, The Pineapple Room at the Macy's (fine dining), and a Korean restaurant (sorry, I forgot it's name!). The food served are excellent. The best part of going to this food court is that I can have my family choose which one they like!

There is the Romano's Macaroni Grill at Ho'okipa Terrace, Quizno's at the Mall Level, Curry House/Coco Ichibanya at the Street Level, the California Wok, the Panini Grill Sandwiches, the Kiring Restaurant (Ocean Side Street Level), Tony Roma's, the Poi Bowl, the McDonalds', Zippy's, Cheeseburger Factory, etc.

Favorite Dish: I love the teriyaki chicken at the Korean Restaurant. It comes with barbecued kobe beef, seaweeds, pickled cucumber, kim chee and two scoops of rice! I just love it. It is comfort food for me!

I wasn't able to eat everything so I had to ask for a doggy bag! Had to snack later, yeah? It save me money. My daughter has french fries (of course, what else to feed a four year-old?) and Shelby has hamburger.

My husband chose the barbecued ribs!

• Adventure Travel

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Lahaina Chicken: Try the new fastfood in Hawaii!

by joiwatani Written Jul 14, 2007

It's one of the fastest growing fastfood chain in Hawaii. I am not sure when the food chain started but I know for sure that in 2002, they don't have this restaurant yet. But, now most shopping malls' food courts have it. There is one in the Ala Moana shopping mall and there is also at the airport.

The food is really not that expensive but they have great food and big servings ala-island style.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the beef steak and it was pretty good! It came with with a variety of steamed vegetables and macaroni salad. I could have two other choices since it's part of the deal! The gravy was delicious, too!

• ray_d's Profile Photo

Fook Yuen: Autentic Chinese maddness and great food

by ray_d Written Dec 11, 2005

A hundred or so people gathered for the rehersial Dinner in a not too flashy Chinese Restaurant in a less than attractive suburb in Honolulu.

The Chef refused the original decisions of the client and insisted that there had to be ballance between flavour and taste.
    The scrawny and not too "Chef like" chap dictated the salty and other dishes he "suggested" without restraint.

Result: total bedlem from the waiters and perfect temperature and wonderful tastes.
    I was mesmerised, the other Hawaiian and Chinese expected no less and were well satisfied.

The food: magnificent.

I watched these two as the girl sized up the pint-sized interest.

Favorite Dish: Everything

• starship's Profile Photo

Planet Hollywood: For Movie Theme-Lovers

by starship Updated Jul 29, 2003

For travelers with young children or for anyone who hasn't been to one before, you may enjoy "Planet Hollywood." I have been to other Planet Hollywoods in San Diego, London, New York City and Orlando, Fl. I know it's a chain restaurant but our family enjoys the movie theme decor and the food as well. In addition, the prices are usually very reasonable! For Planet Hollywood pin collectors, you'll find great choices. I personally like the ones that look like longboards.

Favorite Dish: I don't think I've had a bad meal there, but I enjoy the appetizers the most.

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo

Royal Hawaiian Hotel.: The food at a Lu'au is delightful and plentyful.

by Waalewiener Written Mar 7, 2003

As you will see at the pictures that the food at a Lu'au is everything you always wanted and than some.The Royal Hawaiian Hotel has a fantastic Buffet .There are so many different dishes , too many to name them all.

Hawaii (State of) Hotels

Kaanapali Hotels
14 Reviews - 44 Photos
Kalihi Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Hawaii (State of)

Comments

Hawaii (State of) Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Hawaii (State of) restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hawaii (State of) sightseeing.
Map of Hawaii (State of)