Safety Tips in Hawaii (State of)

• Warnings and Dangers
    by cjg1
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by cjg1
    Sign posting of dangerous shorebreak
    by Gypsystravels

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Hawaii (State of)

• parrott guy of waikiki

by ski44 Written Jan 27, 2011

I came across the picture of the guy with the parrott and the warning not to take take your picture with him- my wife and I went to Hawaii 2 years ago and ran into him- he hangs around the Waikiki shopping center and waits for people to walk by- he'll put the parrott on your shoulder, use your camera to take your picture, and demand money- he caught us off gaurd, and I gave him $5- he then asked for $20- told him no- he started screaming at us following us down the sidewalk-

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Hawaiian Airlines Check-In Times

by DEBBBEDB Written Aug 11, 2010

All the other times we have checked in for a flight, we can do it on the internet 24 hours in advance. Not Hawaiian Airlines. They have a four hour limit. We left the ship the last possible time. When the cab dropped us off at the airport we tried to get a boarding passes and get my bag checked, but was given a severe talking too by the counter person for Hawaiian because they don't issue boarding passes more than 4 hours in advance and she berated me for being 4 hours too early. So we sat until 1 am and waited. I tried various ploys to get something to eat, but all the eating places were on the other side of security.

The same thing happened on the flight from Kona back to HON

Moreover they never told us what the policy was until we went to the desk. Neither the website, nor the phone help nor the machines at the airport said that we were too early to check in. They just said that we needed help.

The website actually says:

Passengers may Check-In 24 hours in advance and no less than 90 minutes prior to departure.*

Web Check-In is available to all Hawaiian Airlines E-Ticket customers traveling on Inter Island and Trans Pacific (mainland) flights. However, there are a few situations which may prevent passengers from using web check-in (due to special services, special requirements, or special handling). These passengers will be required to see an agent to check-in.

IMPORTANT: Web Check-in is not available for International destinations.

Airport check in - HON Looking at the airport map to try to find food
    • Cruise
    • National/State Park

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Don't turn around your car on the side of the road

by joiwatani Written Jul 19, 2009

When driving to Kaneana point and going to Makaha cave, never turn around your car on the side of the road. Your car might be stocked on the sand and to ask help would be difficult. Just loop around on the paved road as their are very few cars passing by. It is better safe than sorry.

The other danger is going down the rocks at the Blow Hole in Honolulu. There are so many tourists already who died in this area. Sometimes, Honolulu police come and watch the area but not often. Some tourists climb the rocks and fall to the waters below and being swept to the water by huge waves. To waves curl around and no matter how strong swimmer you are, the current is very strong!

The beach side of the road is very soft My youngest daughter posing at the marker Fronting the Makaha cave are broken glasses The mouth of the cave close to the road The view a Kaneana Point

Driving to Wainae and Kaneana Point

by joiwatani Updated Jul 19, 2009

I will definitely put the danger of driving to Wainae in the island of Oahu. Before heading to the Makaha Cave at the Kaneana Point, there are now miles and miles of trash thrown at the shoulder of the roads including tires, broken glasses, old furnitures and appliances. There are so many tents put up by homeless people on the beachside. The residents there know each other that they know whose car is new to the area. I was told that some residents break the windows of the car or scratch the paint of whoever is visiting the area.

The best thing to do is to watch your car while you go visit the Makaha cave and be very careful in parking in front of the cave. There are many broken glasses in the area especially at the huge marker that says Kaneana.

The tourism industry in Hawaii never mention this area in any of their magazines, however, curious tourists still come and check the end of the road at the Kaneana point.

This is the landmark surrounded by broken glasses I had to step on a cement The area is beautiful however Hurray mom, we made it!

• Maui current-VERY strong

by ginanoelle Written Jul 4, 2009

I was raised in California and grew up going to beaches, but was unprepared for the ocean in Maui.

I felt like Blue Crush movie at Big Beach by Kihei. I am strong swimmer but-NEVER turn your back on the ocean. Have fun but be aware!!!

• Water Sports
    • Photography

• SurfingLuvr's Profile Photo

Honolulu: LOCK YOUR BIKE!

by SurfingLuvr Written Feb 6, 2009

I've been living in Honolulu now for about 6 months and I have come to see that almost everywhere you look, there are bikes without seats or tires or just the locks left and no bike in sight. I got my bike stolen right outside my apartment and they cut the cable right off. If you rent or buy a bike here, make sure you lock it up good or else that may as well be more money down the drain.

• Study Abroad
    • Cycling

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Be careful at the Halona Blow Hole!

by joiwatani Updated Jan 3, 2009

Many times, some tourists act stupid! They go close to the Blow Hole ignoring huge danger signs posted every corner at the view deck of the Blow Hole.

I still see some stupid tourists going to the huge rocks to check the blow hole. They act like they are immortals.

Anyway, just a reminder. If you happen to go to the Blow Hole, don't be stupid! Many tourists died here already because they ignored the danger and warning signs. That's why it is called Blow Hole. The big waves come thundering to the rocks and create a huge splash to the hole and the water goes up about twenty feet or more as the waves hit the rocks.

• Sissyz's Profile Photo

rain, rain go away

by Sissyz Written Jul 17, 2008

Make sure to check out the weather RIGHT before buying luau tickets. It is Hawaii and there are a lot of surprize showers. That is if you are going to an open air luau. Thank goodness I had been to a couple before so I wasn't super sad! :(

We tried to hold out...but the performers didn't..
    • Music

• csordila's Profile Photo

Sun Sense

by csordila Updated Apr 19, 2008

Hawaii is a dream. The warm air, the flowers, the hot sun on the ocean but the sun in the tropics is stronger than anywhere else, even when it doesn’t feel that way and even when the sky is overcast. Using sunscreen is an absolute must, as is re-application throughout the day. Fair-skinned people should wear a hat and light-colored, long-sleeved clothing where possible. And remember to drink water throughout the day.
    Some tips
    • Use a sunblock with UVA/UVB protection.
    • Choose a sunblock an SPF of at least 15 for daily maintenance protection.
    • At the beach, use a 15 SPF that is also WATERPROOF or 30-50 SPF if you burn easily.
    • Apply sunblock 20 to 30 minutes before exposing your skin.
    • Apply a thick layer of sunblock when swimming, reapply after swimming or toweling
    • Be aware that you can burn on cloudy days or sitting under an umbrella.
    • Avoid being in the direct sun from 10 am - 2 pm when the sun is at its strongest.
    • If burned, apply aloe vera gel liberally and drink a lot of water or juice.
    • Use a moisturizing sunblock to protect you even when you're not at the beach.
    • Wear UV rate sunglasses to protect your sensitive eyes.

Sun Sense
    • Beaches

• csordila's Profile Photo

Ocean Safety

by csordila Updated Apr 19, 2008

With care and common sense, it’s easy to enjoy the Pacific waters, but remember that strong currents, big waves, undertow, sharp coral, and potentially dangerous sea creatures (JELLYFISH!!) are all natural parts of Hawai’i’s environment. Also, many beaches are not staffed by lifeguards. A red flag on the beach indicates strong currents, and posted signs will alert you to other dangers. In case of Medical Emergencies dial 911. The resort hotels mostly have doctors on call.

Beach signs

• smschley's Profile Photo

American's are second class citizens on Waikiki

by smschley Written Jan 7, 2008

The part that amazed me when visiting Oahu was the treatment that was given to us in many of the shows, restaurants and entertainment venues on Waikiki. Most of these have been bought up by Japanese investors and their treatment of non Japanese is amazing. The better seating is only available to those from Japan regardless of how long in advance you purchase your tickets. I was told at one of the shows that the front seats are always reserved exclusively for tours coming in from Japan. They also told me that they were under instruction to pay special attention to anyone from Japan and give them special priority. At one site it was especially irritating to be seated and then being ignored for service in deferment to a Japanese group that was seated at least 20 minutes after us. Complaints are useless as a number of us have found out. This treatment is not limited to haoles, or non locals, but anyone non Japanese.

• HaleWailele's Profile Photo

Big Island of Hawaii, Cockroaches in Rental Cars

by HaleWailele Written Aug 10, 2007

It is the tropics, so watch out for cockroaches in your rental cars. All rental car companies fumigate the cars periodically, but sometimes you get a rental car that is infested. TAKE IT BACK right away for an exchange. Don't take a chance of letting the nasty critters hitchhike in to your rental unit or even home with you.

If you see a cockroach in your rental unit, you will be doing the owners and future guests a favor by immediately reporting it, so they can be alerted to spray.

Luxury, upscale vacation rental condos such as those in Waikoloa Colony Villas and others in the Waikoloa Beach Resort spray the units with non-toxic repellants quarterly. It is very effecitve and I have rarely seen one there.

Hale Pele in Waikoloa Colony Villas, Waikoloa, HI
    • Spa and Resort

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Be careful with da guys! (locals)

by joiwatani Updated Jul 22, 2007

My daughters and I went at 2 pm to swim at Waikiki beach. Since it was too hot for me, I told my daughter that I will just stay in the shades and watch them. (I don't need a tan. I am already brown. Filipino-brown!)

I laid my beach towel and sat on it. I was in the bushes close to the waiting shed - adjacent to the beach shower area. This shower is open for swimmers to rinse off ocean water and sand before heading out. This is also close to the lifeguard's area.

I wore my sunglasses on and tried to relax...

After a few minutes, I saw and heard beautiful women in bikinis chatting while they are taking a shower. I noticed this guy (big Samoan guy) sitting on a bench with a cell phone. This guy is sitting on a beach towel with dark sunglasses facing the shower area. He raises his cell phone but not make a phone call! I noticed that he does this everytime there is a woman showering in bikini. Then, when this beautiful Japanese tourist in string bikini took a shower, this guy raised his phone again. Then, eureka! I figured it out! He is actually taking pictures of those bikini-clad women!

Be careful with this guy. I am not sure where he is going to use those pictures. I told this to my husband and he says that the guy taking pictures of those women is not violating a law. However, don't you feel violated when someone is taking a picture of you in your private moment and you don't even know it?

• Beaches

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Don't go down the rocks!

by joiwatani Written Jul 14, 2007

My husband, who lived in Hawaii most of his life, told me that sometimes the waves gets so high that it can wipe you out of your feet if you go down the rocks close to the blow hole! There are many warning signs in there and people died already. But some tourists tignore the signs and think it is fun to go down the rocks but it is extremely dangerous!

The Blow Hole Extremely Dangerous to walk on the rocks! I just stay here, it's safer, yeah? My daughter Shelby on the look out! My husband pressuring Sierra to pose!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Don't take a picture with this guy with a parrot!

by joiwatani Updated Jul 13, 2007

This guy will ask you "Do you want to take a picture with my parrot? And then he will perch the parrot on your shoulder and he takes a picture.

Voila! After the snap, he will charge you!

Stay away from this guy!

Want to take a picture with my parrot?
    • Adventure Travel

4 Reviews - 11 Photos
Kahuku Hotels
12 Reviews - 48 Photos
Pahala Hotels

Instant Answers: Hawaii (State of)

Comments

Hawaii (State of) Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Hawaii (State of) warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hawaii (State of) sightseeing.
Map of Hawaii (State of)