Boise Restaurants

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo

Brick Oven Beanery: An Oldie But a Goodie

by JetlagCity Written Jan 18, 2005

inside the Brick Oven Bistro

This is actually called the Brick Oven Bistro now, but I like its old name, The Beanery, better (less pretentious). The Beanery’s been around for 20 years now. They make good “home-cooked” American meals – stuff like mashed potatoes, chili, clam chowder, gumbo, salads, and milkshakes. Plus an amazing bread pudding, according to my friend Helene (I missed out on that when I was here). Also beer and wine.

It’s a casual, cafeteria-style place where you take a tray, tell the servers what you want, and then pay at the end of the counter. They’re located on “The Grove” in downtown Boise, at 8th & Main, and have outdoor patio seating in the summer.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Goldy's Breakfast: Great Gravy!

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

Goldy's Breakfast Bistro

What else do you do when you have an hour to pass before a business meeting, and you have not researched the town you are in? Why not go into a coffee shop in the middle of downtown!

Goldy's had an interesting mix of college students, Air Force Officers, and construction workers. It was very unique to me, although from what I have seen, this could just be the way Boise is!

I noticed alot of people eating the biscuits and gravy, although I only had room for a cup of coffee!

• Study Abroad

• Bardenay: Restaurant & Distillery

by i_love_ystone Updated Jun 9, 2004

I worked here as a waitress last summer. Bardenay is a favorite with the locals because the food is good and the atmosphere is lively. The restaurant is spacious with the longest bar in Boise and a the famous "Still" on display, where Scott distills Bardenay Gin, Vodka, and Rum.

Favorite Dish: Balck Bean & Sweet Potato Chimichanga...Yummy!

Drinks are a must. My favorite is the Bloody Mary, Mojito (go light on the syrup), and Blackberry Infusion Martini.

• Business Travel

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Dawson's Downtown: Great Gelato and Friendly Servers

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 25, 2005

Dawson's Downtown Mural

One thing that every weary traveler looking for coffee appreciates is a smile and great service. Paula, the college aged waitress working on a Monday night in downtown Boise fit this mold perfectly.

I had the pistachio gelato and a mexican mocha, both of which are wonderful.

I would highly recommend checking out this downtown coffeeshop!

• crazyk's Profile Photo

Gino's Ristorante.: Rated the best Italian restaurant in Boise.

by crazyk Written Mar 13, 2005

This restaurant has the most authentic Italian food in the city and the best service also. Gino's has plenty of wines to choose from and is competitively priced, but this is Boise, so there isn't much competition.

Favorite Dish: I like the pasta von golle with a bunch of wine.

• crazyk's Profile Photo

Goodwood Barbecue.: Ribs and great service.

by crazyk Updated Mar 13, 2005

Probably has the best service in Boise, if your glass of water is an inch low, they are there to fill it immediately.
    Really good food, there are two locations, one by the Edwards Cinemas on Entertainment Way and one at the Meridian Crossroads, the one in Meridian is much quieter than the Boise location, but the food is excellent at both.

Favorite Dish: The smoked prime rib.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Le Cafe' De Paris: French Provincial in Provincial Boise

by atufft Written Jul 21, 2008

Le Cafe' De Paris

I failed to find an outdoor table along any of the 8th Street cafes that serve full breakfast, not just coffee and pastry, so I opted to cycle around to this pleasant restaurant right in view of the capitol dome. The outdoor seating is on decking a step above the sidewalk, and a partition railing provided a place to lean my bike. Inside, a beavy of pretty 20 something waitresses greeted me from behind a glass display of lovely French pastries. A charming display of basketry and loaves of bread captured my attention to the left just inside the door. I was invited to seat myself anywhere outside, and soon my waitress brought me ice water and a double latte. I considered the large brunch menu and was inspired to choose a fritatta made with duck eggs, gruyere cheeze, asparagus, and bellpepper. Baby potatoes and a tomato salsa came with the egg dish. Presentation of the food was exellent--a individualized caseroule on a plank. Unfortunately, the fritatta was slightly overdone and dry, the portions surprisingly meager given the price. The coffee at Starbucks next door would be a better deal. Neverthess, the sidewalk cafe atmosphere and enthusiastic service was enough for me to consider this place again, should the more established and popular places along 8th Street be overly crowded. This restaurant is concerned about finding sustaining and organic farm fresh produce, and provides special occasion dinners from time to time.

• Seniors
    • Cycling

• Granny's: Absolutely great place for breakfast

by StealthReviewer Written Sep 29, 2007

If you're looking for a GREAT breakfast and don't mind waiting for a table, stop by Granny's. It's on Glenwood, just north of the fairgrounds, tucked away in the shopping mall between D&B and Big Lots. Everything on the menu tastes better than homemade. Unique breakfast combos you won't find anywhere else. I hope Granny's doesn't move to a bigger location. Part of its appeal is the fact that its packed all the time. There's a huslte/bustle feeling in the air, but it doesn't interfere with having a relaxing, great tasting breakfast. Also, they serve breakfast up until 2:00 PM, which is when they close. Great for those lazy Saturday mornings when you REALLY sleep in. Oh, and did I mention that the prices were VERY reasonable?

Favorite Dish: I like the "Granny's Special" omelet. Most omelets served with gravy have a white gravy. This one is brown with mushrooms, and tastes fantastic. Two sizes of homemade scones are available. They advertise the larger one as "a meal in itself." I usually order the smaller scone instead of toast with the omelet.

• Seniors

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

La Vie en Rose Bakery & Bistro: Great Breakfast & Lunch

by WulfstanTraveller Written Oct 30, 2010

This is a great breakfast-lunch cafe & bakery, with a slight European-oriented/influenced menu and approach. It has excellent pancakes, fritattas, other egg-dishes, pastries, bread puddings, cakes, and more.

It is right downtown in the striking, historic old Idanha Hotel building.

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Old Chicago: Pizza and Beer

by WulfstanTraveller Written Oct 30, 2010

This is a good place in downtown Boise to get good pizza and a good, very large, selection of beer. The pizza is not real Chicago-style pizza, but it is good, especially considering that this is a chain. It also has a very large selection of beers, most in the bottle, but with still a vry good range on tap. These include both some better imports and a very good choice of craft beers, with slight emphasis on local western/Pacific NW beers.

• Beer Tasting

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Goldy's Breakfast Bistro: Don't Skip Breakfast!

by cpiers47 Updated Jul 3, 2009

This is a cozy restaurant but we were able to get a table mid morning (granted it was a weekday). We chose to sit "upstairs" in the tiny loft. There's an espresso bar as well. The atmosphere is very laid back and friendly. Our waiter seemed to enjoy nothing more than checking in with great sincerity.

Favorite Dish: My friend had the frittata special - it was amazing. I tried the smoked salmon hash. Maybe it sounds like a strange combination, but I loved it. Also, it was one of the smaller items on the menu and I wasn't starving.

I'd heard great things about Goldy's and I wasn't disapointed in the least!

• Gernika Basque Pub & Eatery: Delicious, and inexpensive

by leannaaker Written Jul 6, 2009

So we took a look at the menu and decided to try it out. This place is very small, with just as many outdoor tables as inside. You can view the small kitchen from the inside. I ordered the lamb stew, and my husband the lamb kabobs, but there were half a dozen other things that also looked yummy. We ordered "croquetas" for the side dish...which are these yummy fried dumpling type things, said to be made out of flour, butter, chicken, milk, and...? They were divine also. The lamb stew I could have eaten a gallon of. They delivered our food with this "tiger sauce" which was great on the meat and the croquetas. We then had a very delicious flan for desert. The clencher? 2 dinners, 2 drinks, and dessert set us back $32. Seriously!

The service was attentive and casual. This place is a real gem.

• Louie's Pizza & Italian: Miss Louie's Pizza & Italian

by snafu918 Written Mar 28, 2008

The food was prepared quickly and with less than satisfactory ingredients. The lettuce in my salad was yellowing and cut up instead of torn. I ordered a version of chicken alfredo that also included shrimp. The chicken was pounded paper thin and was quickly heated. The alfredo sauce was a tasteless paste on the noodles and the shrimp was unwashed, because got a nice bite of sand when I ate one. I sent the food back because it was nearly unedible, when the manager came over she was distracted and seemed to think that I was the one at fault. She did offer to "get me something I liked" which I turned down.

Favorite Dish: Just don't bother

• redknot's Profile Photo

8th Street Wine Company: Good Food Great Wine

by redknot Updated Apr 4, 2011

Love this place. Decor and ambiance is casual and modern with large windows and outdoor seating facing the shopping areas on 8th street. Food was very good and as the name would suggest, excellent selection of wines. And they have a wine shop too.

Favorite Dish: Panko Crusted Crab Cakes with Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomato Aiolis

• Wine Tasting

• bejack2's Profile Photo

GERNIKA: Basque Food

by bejack2 Written Nov 27, 2002

GERNIKA BASQUE

GERNIKA,
    This Basque Pub and Eatery was established in 1991 and has become a focal gathering point for many in the community. Saved by the Basque Museum and Cultural Center from demolition by trading parking spaces for a lease, sub-leaser, Dan Ansotegui, did all of the work to make it into the quaint spot it is today. You can find great appetizers, soups, sandwiches and wine there and an atmosphere that welcome's all to the Basque Block.

Favorite Dish: Soup and sandwiches

Instant Answers: Boise

Comments

Boise Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Boise restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boise sightseeing.