Champaign Warnings and Dangers

Alley behind Eureka

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Champaign

• Right of way

by carlredrick Written May 3, 2009

That is total BS...pedestrians always get the right of way around here...especially so downtown or on campus. Maybe you are one of those people that are to busy listening to your ipod or texting, then realize that the light is going to turn, so you dart out to try to make it, eventhough you know the light will change when you are in the middle of the intersection...maybe that's why you are hiding your face in your pic

• beardsley street in champaign

by carlredrick Written May 3, 2009

I must agree that any area around the bradley/beardsley/state streets is a very dangerous place. it is a cruising route for "donks", which leads to loud music 24/7, I always hear people yelling/fighting, police are always called around the area, drug deals, violence, noise, hookers, slum houses..it's all there. This area needs major help.

• Neighborhoods to avoid

by rsieg10 Written Jan 2, 2007

Overall, Champaign is relatively safe. However, there are a few areas to avoid. Bradley Avenue is one of those areas. An extremely low-income area, this entire avenue is full of prostitution, drugs, and crime. I've traveled through here numerous times at night and would not recommend it. If you are a female, you will likely be approached by some very sketchy characters. I've been asked to purchase drugs nearly every time I've come through here. Prostitution is rampant and visable, too. There isn't a reason to be walking through this area, but if you're driving, make sure to lock your doors and don't stop (even at a stop sign) if you see people lingering around the intersection. Most other areas of Champaign are relatively safe. I live in the core of downtown and see homeless people daily, but they're usually harmless and just ask for money. I've never had a serious problem. Downtown is the center of nightlife, so there are always a lot of people around to make the area feel safe. If you get approached by someone, don't stop walking!

Also, be careful about the parking situation. There are VERY few streets you can park on that are not reserved or metered. Most streets have reserved spots, but aren't clearly marked as such. Don't park here or you WILL be towed (especially aroudn downtown and on campus)!

• Business Travel

• Mercena & Bradley corridor

by GHosafat Written Aug 17, 2011

So some guy on here crawled around taking pictures of stick piles in people's yards to post here as a warning to all. I bet he was scared as *** while doing it too. That's a freaking riot, and I hope one day someone catches HIM on film doing it.

Yeah, the Bradley corridor is sort of blighted, but there's not really as much danger as you'd think. Most of the fear comes from small-town imaginations of big-city problems. And for crying out loud, don't change your driving route just to avoid it. If I lived there I'd stand on the corner too just to have a laugh at how freaked out some people get at the intersections.

• Bradley Area

by jamieconrad Updated Sep 6, 2009

I live in a duplex off of Randolph between University and Bradley Ave. I'm here for school at U of I. From the perspective of someone who actually lives in this neighborhood, it's not a "very dangerous" place to live as another post stated. It's definitely not as nice and well-kept as the other neighborhoods in the Champaign area. As a female, I don't feel like my life has been threatened. I've seen some open-alcohol consumption, but it's not an area rampant with violent crime or prostitution. My neighbors in this area seem to be blue-collar workers and other grad students at U of I. This neighborhood isn't for the faint of heart, but it isn't dangerous.

I think the physical appearance of the neighborhood is slowly changing. There's a beautiful public park and library nearby (just a block away). I'm also near downtown Champaign. I haven't visited downtown, but I hear there are nice cafes, bars, and restaurants.

• Champaign Illinois Neighborhood

by mercena Updated Apr 20, 2006

From Neil Street to Prospect in Champaign Illinois is a good area to avoid. This is a very dangerous neighborhood . The pizza places will not even deliver here as they have recently been beaten and robbed. ! This neighborhood is located in Champaign Illinois, home of the University of Illinois. Patrolled by Neighborhood Services but they are very inefficent at their job. This is the slum area of the town, located in the middle of the city of Champaign. The house that is pictured and located on Bradley is the street through town that many students have to travel when they go to Parkland College. Please avoid this area for your own safety. There is open prostitution, drinking on the streets and gunfire along with 2 known "dope houses." Pictured are some of the area's that are in this section of town.

207 Bradley 404 West Beardsley 415 West Beardsley Alley  behind Eureka Elm and Eureka
    • Theater Travel
    • Eco-Tourism
    • School Holidays

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Pedestrians Beware

by HasTowelWillTravel Updated May 25, 2008

The pedestrians are not given the right of way in the C-U area. Far from it. This is a marked difference from other parts of the country. So, even if a car is a block away, be careful when you step off the curb. They usually make little to no effort to arrest their speed as they get near, and only at the last minute will they brake. Be careful!

Instant Answers: Champaign

• Oct 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I'm white, and I live in the oldest neighborhood in Champaign, which some people are characterizing as being dangerous and slum-like. I've never had any trouble getting food delivered here, and I order delivery far more often than I probably ought to.

I despise the lowlife who has been posting photos of homes belonging to people they'll never meet, knowing absolutely nothing about them. Yes, I have a couple of piles of sticks in my yard - you don't store firewood indoors, you know. When I bought my house, people kept telling that I should have bought a house somewhere else, because it's a Baaaad neighborhood. I lived in this area several times before I bought my house - so I knew exactly what it's like beforehand. You'll find many more crooks living in the overpriced neighborhoods at the other end of town than here. This is where the working class lives. We aren't all Better Homes & Gardens material, so what? My shed (formerly a very, very old garage/speed shop) is never locked, and I've never seen any evidence of anyone coming into my yard who shouldn't be there. In the '70s, as a skinny white kid, I would walk through the north end on Bradley, at night, and alone. Guess what happened? Nothing, other than me getting to my destination unmolested. The most dangerous neighborhood in Champaign-Urbana is actually between University Ave, Green St, Lincoln Ave, and First St. - Where students live, and ignore the safety advisories that the U of I police send out via email and text anytime someone gets mugged or assaulted. Students have been getting mugged on a more or less regular basis, their apartments broken into (especially during breaks), or run over by MTD buses and cars on campus.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Oct 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I'd just like to note that the review which has the photos dates from 2006. The most recent review for this area dates from 2011. If you consider the review inappropriate then click the username of the writer. You can then use the 'report abuse' link to report the review to staff.

Champaign Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Champaign warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Champaign sightseeing.