VT Member Meetings, Chicago

Know about this? Rate It!

Erika and Eric in Chicago
    by Stephen-KarenConn
  • Stephen, Karen, Erika and Eric in Chicago
    Stephen, Karen, Erika and Eric in...
    by Stephen-KarenConn
  • Dee/Erik & Martin/Erik at Millennium Park
    Dee/Erik & Martin/Erik at Millennium...
    by deecat
  • Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

A Serindipitous VT Meeting

by Stephen-KarenConn Written Dec 13, 2007

Erika and Eric in Chicago

Favorite thing: Karen and I weren't planning on having a VT meeting the last time we were in Chicago. In fact, we were only changing trains, but had a three hour layover. We took advantage of the opportunity to take a stroll and also have a lunch at the famous stuffed pizza at Giordano's. Then, as we were about to re-enter Union Station, we heard someone call our name: "Stephen and Karen, is that you?"

It was erikatheskysailor from Cleveland, Ohio, along with her friend Eric, both VT members. Although we had never met in person, Erika recognized us from our pages on Virtual Tourist. We had a very enjoyable but short visit standing in front of Union Station and beside the Chicago River. I also took a few pictures, which I have posted here.

It was great to meet you, Erika and Eric. I hope our paths will cross again.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Hanging Out With VT Pals in Chicago

by deecat Updated Sep 10, 2004

Dee/Erik & Martin/Erik at Millennium Park

Favorite thing: Martin (MJB123) planned a VT dinner/meeting at the new Park Grill in Millennium Park at the end of August. It was also the day of the Air/Water Show. Erik (ERIK707) saw the show and then line-skated all the way to the park!
    There were only three of us who attended, but we had a "blast"! (aging myself, huh?)

The Park Grill Restaurant is located next to the Ice Rink (Outdoor Cafe in the summer). It has floor-to-ceiling glass doors that look directly on the park's new skating rink in the winter months and the umbrella tables in the summer. The Park Grill's menu is American. Some of the entree options are rotisserie roasted double-cut pork chop with crispy onions, all kinds of sandwiches, salads, and soups, and thin Pizza. We had Pizza...three different kinds (chicken, mushroom, and Cheese). Erik and I had a Tomato Salad, and the three of us shared crispy onions(haystacks). The food was good, and our waiter was fun, efficient, and cooperative.

After eating, we roamed the park. Erik had not seen much of it, so Martin and I showed him around. There was a concert that night so we were able to hear portions of it. We took photographs of the Crown Fountain spitting water, the Cloud Gate and its distored images, and the three of us to remember the great time we had. We crossed the "snake" (BP) Bridge to Grant Park and then circled back around to Michigan Avenue.

Fondest memory: After walking a good deal, we decided that it was time for coffee. We stopped at a Starbucks on Michigan Avenue and talked some more. Then Erik and I realized that we had to catch a cab to the railroad station. It was a hectic ride because of the traffic jam. The cab driver was good; he got us to Union Station with a few minutes to spare. In all the confusion and hurry, I forgot to say good-bye to Martin!!!
    From my point of view, it was an excellent VT dinner/meeting...one I cherish and will remember.

• Music