Chicago What to Pack

by axmor

Most Recent What to Pack in Chicago

• Maggies's Profile Photo

by Maggies Written Sep 12, 2002

See how pool makes my happy...

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Chicago can get extremely hot and humid in summer and really freezing and snowy during winter. So, in summer I advise you packing lots of light clothes and always carry a bottle of water with you. Don't forget to bring some blouse too cuz they have really high standard air-conditioning in all the stores and movie theaters there... ;-)

• Texapina's Profile Photo

by Texapina Written Sep 8, 2002

Luggage and bags: I packed a 22-inch rolling suitbag stuffed with cold-weather items, since it was still cold (it even snowed while I was there this year). I am hooked on travelbags that allow you to fold & pack suits, sweaters, etc into convenient size bags the size of a briefcase or smaller.

I also had a computer backpack as my carryon.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sweaters for layering, a scarf (I usually travel with a black cashmere scarf that doubles as a shawl), a versatile coat (I had a black leather wrap jacket that is functional & still looks great for a night out on the town).

Comfy shoes are a must if you're doing a lot of walking.

I had a 5k to run one morning: definitely, have something to keep your head/ears warm (a fleece headband packs well & keeps your ears from freezing at 6 am when it's 30 degress F), running gloves, long running pants or sweatpants, a running jacket or sweatshirt.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: whatever you forget, you can get at a local drugstore

• TravelerM's Profile Photo

by TravelerM Written Sep 8, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take a hat or cap which keeps your head warm. It's always windy downtown. The lakeshore is the windiest! Once I was trapped at the pier because of the extemely strong winds and at least 20 minus Fahrenheits, I almost cried at the thought of having to walk to our car parked outside the pier...*_*

• Moondrop72's Profile Photo

by Moondrop72 Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Rollaboards are the easiest. chicago's sidewalks are cracked, broken and bumpy. A traditional suitcase will prove difficult on the subway and rolling it on the sidewalk to your hotel or house.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Weather here is in the extremes. You can expect the upper 90's in summer and sub freezing in winter. The wind is serious here. If you're coming in Dec-Feb a parka is mandatory if you're going to spend long hours outdoors. A hat or some covering for your head will be indispensible. Also, wear thick soled shoes. The cold will seep from the ground to your feet if you are not wearing good socks and good shoes.

by Wild_Thyme Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Although I took a rucksack, I found that I felt safest when I carried my money in the pockets of my shorts.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I took some really nice wear for the evenings such as long dresses, trouser suits only to find I wore shorts nearly all the time!

Good, well-made sandals are essential. I wore a pair of very comfortable trainers for a few days and still got blisters... I bought some very expensive sandals but they saved my feet.. after all, I had more sight seeing to do!

Photo Equipment: I took an SLR and a 'point and shoot'. Both were needed and I made sure that I carted them around everywhere with me.

Developing was pretty much the same price as here in England but my penfriend used his digital. Once we got back to his place, we e-mailed them straight away to my family. If I could afford one, I would chose one over my two.

Miscellaneous: Suntan lotion, a very good pair of sunglasses and a hat if you're fair skinned like me

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

by Ramonq Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Wind cheaters, or leather jackets. This city is not called the Windy City for nothing. I was there on springtime, and it was chilly because of the wind factor. The breeze come in from the icy Great Lakes in which Chicago is located next to.

• kimberbakos's Profile Photo

by kimberbakos Updated Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Always dress in layers and bring a jacket. It is often much cooler and windier by the lake than you expect, or feels colder than you think based on the temperature alone. Think WIND CHILL FACTOR, even when it is warmer.

• chantalb79's Profile Photo

by chantalb79 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Pack lightly if you will be taking public trasportation- there is a lot of walking to be done!!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Chicago really is the 'Windy City'. Remember to bring a good jacket. I was there in May and wish that I had listened to my own advise!!

Wear comfy shoes also- I feel like all I did was walk!!

Miscellaneous: Of course you muct try some authentic Chicago Pizza- it is well worth the grease.

• jozwitch's Profile Photo

by jozwitch Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Always bring layers! The weather can change at a moment's notice. I always carry a sweater and a small umbrella with me in the summer and I wear lots of layers in winter. Spring and autumn are the worst seasons for sudden changes in weather, but it does happen in July and January, too.

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Summers can be pretty warm here, and humid, so dress accordingly. I'd bring along a pair of nice clothes, though, in case you think you'll find yourself at a nice restaurant or the theatre.

Winters are cold, almost always (except for the last couple times I've been there). It's very windy and sometimes there's snow. Yeah, bundle up... make sure you have gloves and hats and such.

• mocca's Profile Photo

by mocca Updated Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Well it is not known as the Windy City for nothing ( even though I only had sunshine during my stay, well sometimes you just have to be lucky)

Photo Equipment: Leave your big lenses at home, take up to a 135mm, or you if you are interested in shooting boats on the lakes, take longer lenses. The buildings are tall and packed together, so short lenses will do the trick.

by selbyone Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: In April in Chicago it's very easy. Take one set of luggage with Autumn/Winter clothing. Another set with Summer. We packed for cold we got 80o F heat.
    I packed thermal vests. I got sunburn. Checked the internet weather before we went - fat lot of good that was!

by Jenna_00 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Just pack normal things. Chicago is the windy city so sometimes it can get cold. Just pack according to your length of stay.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring comfortable shoes for all your walking. Bring sunglasses cuz it's sunny. And bring comfortable coats because if the wind picks up you'll want one.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Just bring what's necessary to you. There are local convience stores if you forget anything.

Photo Equipment: Bring a camera. There a lot of good things to take pics of. Make sure it has a falsh cuz the tall buildings could make things dark.

by pdm Written Aug 26, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The Windy City's climate is schizoid---in winter, it's like the Antartic, but in the summer it's like Miami without palm trees or Armani-wearing vice cops. Best time to visit is in early fall or spring, where the temps are normaly from 60 to 70 degrees f.

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

by tetonski1 Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Roller Bags are good, unless being dropped off directly at the hotel.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Walking shoes. Anything black, leather shoes, pants, dresses. A heavy coat in the winter with gloves and gator. A light jacket or raincoat in spring and fall. A swimsuit, and shorts, short sleeved shirts in summer.

Miscellaneous: This is a picture of Water Tower Place. If you forget any supplies, or if they lose your luggage you can shop here. It is 8 levels, and one of the biggest shopping areas in the city. It is right on Michigan Ave. and a close walk to Oak Street Beach, or a trolley ride away from Navy Pier.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Chicago What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Chicago what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chicago sightseeing.