Brasserie Jo, Chicago

Brasserie Jo-CLOSED: River North-French brasserie

by Dabs Updated Sep 10, 2012

Profiteroles and creme brulee

Closed August 28, 2010, reopened as the Paris Club

This was our 4th or 5th time eating at Brasserie Jo (named for chef Jean Joho), one of the many Lettuce Entertain You restaurants in Chicago. I have to knock it down in my ratings, the last two visits have left me wanting more. We had reservations for 7 pm on a Friday and it wasn't crowded, when we left it wasn't crowded either, not a good sign for a tourist area restaurant. Our server felt it necessary to correct our pronunciation of every thing that we ordered but in a weird Spanish sounding accent, perhaps we weren't saying it with a French accent but neither was he!

For casual French bistro fare, I give Mon Ami Gabi and Marche an edge over Brasserie Jo, Marche has the wonderful prix fixe nights on Monday and Wednesday and Mon Ami Gabi has one of my favorite desserts in the city, the bananas foster crepe, but I think the steak frites are just as good at Brasserie Jo. Brasserie Jo's edge is that it's location is closer to the tourist area.

Favorite Dish: We ordered the French onion soup, on previous visits I thought the portion size was small for the price ($6.95), on the last two visits the soup has failed to show up, the previous time we sent the food back to the kitchen, this time we just skipped it. I ordered the hangar steak with bearnaise sauce ($19.95) and it was good, although the meat was prepared a little too rare for medium rare, had a lot of flavor, very tender and an ample portion. The frites were good but closer to French fries. David ordered the Choucroute Alsacienne, Cabbage Alsace-Style and Smoked Meats ($24.95), he enjoyed it and the portion size was ample.

We ordered a couple of their specialty cocktails, the burnt caramel manhattan didn't taste of burnt caramel and could have stripped paint off a car!

We ordered their profiteroles that were one of the house specialities, world reknown is what the menu says, and although they were tasty they weren't anything unique, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and a pastry puff.

Instant Answers: Chicago