Cheesecake Factory, Chicago

by HotSpotJ
  • antistar's Profile Photo

Cheesecake Factory: Cheesecake Factory

by antistar Written Apr 23, 2007

I don't think I have laughed so much in a restaurant ever, and it wasn't an intentional part of the service. We'd already eaten that evening at Gino's East, but after wandering around late in the night and seeing that the Cheesecake factory was still open, we dropped in for a slice. The conversation was on the subject of obsequious waiters, and we all commented positively on how genuinely friendly the ones in Chicago had been.

Then Dork One came to our table. It was like something from a parody TV show. I think he may have been on uppers of some kind.

"What would you like to order, sir? Can I recommend the... oh you've already decided, sir. That is wonderful. I'm sure you made a great choice! Oh you want cheesecake! That IS a great choice, sir. We do a great cheesecake. Would you like something to drink with that? Water? Fantastic! What a great choice, sir. So many people don't go with water, you know? So refreshing to see a change!"

He left. Incredulous looks around the table. Someone else brings the order. But five seconds after I put a forkful of deliciously artery bursting cheesecake in my mouth, he's back.

"Are you enjoying that, sir? Oh you are! Fantastic! And you sir? Great! Amazing! Can I help you with anything? Would you like anything else?"

My friend Joe was physically recoiling from him at this point, leaning far over into me while I tried to eat and ignore him. Joe didn't even realise he was doing it. He was so disgusted by the waiter he just wanted to get out of there. He begged us to pay the bill, with his credit card. Anything so that he wouldn't have to deal with him. But we were enjoying his discomfort. There was no escape.

Favorite Dish: "What great accents you guys have! Where are you from?"

"Ireland?" he asks me. "No, England"

"England! Fantastic! I'm half-Polish!"

"Really?" I say, sensing some fun, "Joe's half..."

"I'm American." Joe says flatly.

He picks up Joe's credit card. He garbles Joe's name several times.

"Oh! What an interesting name, sir! Do you pronounce that with a hard or a soft J? That's a difficult name! So few vowels! A bit like my name... Szymczak"

Joe tells him how to pronounce it.

"It's Polish" I tell him. Joe casts me a fearsome glance.

"Oh! How amazing! What are the chances of that? Two people with Polish names..." in the city with the second highest population of Poles after Warsaw! Joe is now nailed with a conversation all of his very own with Dork One. Once the bill is paid, we race out of the place like children escaping an embarrassing aunt.

Man what a jerk. I hope he was on drugs, because it would be bad for him if he was naturally like that.

Don't bother with anything but the cheesecake, which is great, but expensive. It is incredibly creamy and sweet. It must have been a few thousand calories per slice. I felt like I was going to explode after eating half a slice. I think eating several of these might be a good way of inducing bulimia.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Cheesecake Factory: Great food, great atmosphere!

by rmdw Written Aug 31, 2003

The Cheesecake Factory is a restaurant chain in the U.S. offering so-called "California Cuisine". If you've never had this kind of food it generally means: Fresh, healthy, and delicious!

While you'll pay a bit more for atmosphere here than other restaurants, it's a great place to go when you want to have a good time and enjoy a great meal.

The Cheesecake Factory - Downtown Chicago

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

The Cheesecake Factory: A good family place on the "Mag Mile"

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 15, 2004

This national chain is more than just cheesecake. I've had good salads and other surprisingly fresh and delicious dishes here.
    It is located on the lower level of the John Hancock Center -- perfectly located for feeding the cranky kids.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

The Cheesecake Factory: Something for everyone

by Herkbert Written Sep 23, 2009

The Cheesecake Factory is a chain restaurant that serves good food at a decent price. The menu provides a huge selection with something that is sure to whet your appetite. You can get appetizers and drinks or a full dinner. Of course, for dessert you should try a piece of their specialty cheesecakes.

There is indoor and outdoor seating. The tables are spaced so you're not right on top of your neighbors. And the noise level is generally moderate.

While the food may not excite gourmets, it is all of good quality and tasty. Great choice when you don't want to go somewhere fancy, but still want a good meal.

Favorite Dish: I love their jambalaya pasta. Just the right spiciness, plus lots of chicken and shrimp.

Cheesecake Factory in Chicago

• Martman's Profile Photo

Cheesecake Factory: Loved the atmosephere and meal at base of Hancock!

by Martman Updated Aug 25, 2006

I originally expected this establishment to be overpriced and not great portions either, just because it is at the bottom of the John Hancock building i.e. a tourist trap.

MY THEORY WAS PROVEN TO BE COMPLETELY WRONG!

I have visited this restaurant twice. Both times, the meals were EXCELLENT. The meals were large and EXTREMELY TASTY, served with abundance of fresh bread. I do believe my excellent tasty meals were overpriced either. If I ever visit Chicago again, I will gladly return to this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: My first time here, I had a pizza, one of the tastiest pizzas I have ever had; EXCELLENT.
    My second visit, I chose "Orange Chicken' which was also extremely good.

OUR TABLE :-> 3 great meals for 3 happy diners! View of restaurant from the street My Meal: Delicious Orange Chicken View of table; friend's salad and bread for table My Wonderful Hosts! Yes, we were happy!

• The Cheesecake Factory: The coolest location

by citygirl05 Written Jul 14, 2009

This place is so cool because it is located right below the John Hancock building. It's literally right underneath it. The restaurant itself is kind of dark. There is indoor and outdoor seating. I reccommend outdoor to get the full experience. The atmosphere is great. Everyone is especially friendly. The food is of course, great. And who goes to the Cheesecake Factory without getting cheesecake? No one. They have superb cheesecake. If you don't like cheesecake, don't worry. They have plenty of other desserts. Overall, definitely one of the best restaurants in the city in one of the coolest locations.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is between the fried macaroni and cheese balls and the lemon raspberry creme cheesecake. The macaroni balls are so good because they give you four per serving and they have this amazing macaroni on the inside but have this crumbly bread that is fried on the outside. One of the best dishes in my opinion. Then there is the cheesecake. It is tangy and a little sour but so so good. My favorite dessert to get.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Cheesecake Factory: The Breakfast of Champions!

by HotRodEtte Written Jul 8, 2005

Although you can go for breakfast, they are naturally more famous for their desserts (cheesecake of course)!
    I say if you're on vacation, spoil yourself and have cheesecake for breakfast...I did!!

Favorite Dish: It's been a while since I've eaten here, so other than the cheesecake I'm not sure what to recommend, but the restuarant itself is definitely a must-try!

• Cheesecake Factory: Cheesecake Factory

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

A nice, casual, almost fun atmosphere (and yes, i know this is a chain). But it's still a nice, and moderately expensive, restaurant! They offer MORE than just cheesecakes here.. they have numerous choices on their menu for dinner and just about anything is going to be good. Ah, but the cheesecake is excellent! Again, numerous choices on types of cheesecake! So, my advice is to leave room for it... get a smaller dinner or just doggy-bag some of your meal. Decor is neat too, especially on the outside.

Favorite Dish: Parmesean crusted chicken dish thing

• Dr._Aldakov's Profile Photo

Cheesecake Factory: Cheesecake Factory

by Dr._Aldakov Updated Aug 25, 2002

Very interesting original design. Despite cental location, prices aren't very high, I'd even say they are tolerable. A very diverse menu, wide range of very different tasty dishes. Good staff.

Favorite Dish: Try Zinfandel wine. Though Californian, it's good.
    Sunshine salad is nice too.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

The Cheesecake Factory: Cheesecake Paradise

by londonlover Updated Mar 18, 2005

This fun restaurant, one of the national chain, looks like a giant mushroom! :) The decor quirky and unique, and the place is very cozy despite the huge capacity. Be prepared for a long wait if you're there during peak hours without a reservation!

Favorite Dish: The cheesecake, of course! I go for the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake , but there are at least 20 to choose from on the menu. They also have an excellent veggie burger and great fries. Oh, and the best lemonade I've ever had (caution, I like it strong!). However, don't plan on eathing both a full meal and a whole piece of cheesecake. Unless your stomach is made of elastic, you'll never make it!

Best cheesecake in the States

• The Cheesecake Factory: The Cheesecake Factory

by Pete_Thera Written Aug 24, 2002

This restaurant seems to be always full. It's so crowded. People always have to que up. As we just want to have the cheescake we just order to go. The que is much shorter since we dont' have to wait for vacant seats. Well, other items in the menu, like pastas, look interesting too, but we will try it next time.

Favorite Dish: All kinds of cheesecakes. The best we ever had.

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

by CliffClaven Written Aug 24, 2002

Handily located at the base of the Hancock Centre is the Cheesecake Factory, a great place to eat amid whimsical decor and chattering midwest middle-class munchers. Old Cliffie thought he'd walked into a remake of 'La grande bouffe', that classic movie in which a group of blasé done-it-all Frenchmen decide to eat themselves to death. If you can cope with the gargantuan portions, try to keep some space for the 20-odd varieties of cheesecake-to-die-for. Mouthwateringly delicious.

• Cheesecake Factory: their food...

by czurcher Written Aug 24, 2002

Cheesecake Factory: their food is great, the portions are so big you can almost never eat the whole thing...especially not if you want to save room for one of the 31 different flavors of cheesecake!
    31 flavors of cheesecake, need I say more?

Favorite Dish: Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake - and the mashed potato omlette.

• Cheesecake Factory: Dying to Eat at Cheesecake Factory on Michigan Ave

by msnuggie Written Feb 18, 2009

The Cheesecake Factory in Chicago is a chain restaurant but we really love it! The service is good and the prices aren't bad. The only problem with this on Michigan Avenue is that it's PACKED. It's always at least an hour to an hour and a half wait.

My tip is this.

It's a little known FACT that you can walk right into the bar area, get a table without waiting and order from the full menu. We do this every single time we go in Chicago. People perceive it as more of a waiting area so tables open up fast. The last 2 times in Chicago, we've walked right in, gotten a table in the bar area (which incidentally is no different than the restaurant area) and eaten and been out within an hour and a half. Depending on how fast we wanted to go.

Favorite Dish: I'll eat anything, most things I've tried are great.

• Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

• The Cheesecake Factory: Great place for a midnight sweet tooth

by cranecafe Written Mar 23, 2008

Went to see a show at the Watertower Theater with our high school band and wandered over here for an after dinner treat. The staff was very accomodating of our large group and kept our tab on one bill even though our tables were scattered throughout the joint. Our waiters were great. Treated our kids as adults and had fun conversing with them.

Favorite Dish: Cheesecake - any kind you can imagine.

Instant Answers: Chicago