Geja's Cafe, Chicago

YUMMY
    by CoAir13
  • Geja's Cafe: Great Ambiance

by teamram Written Nov 30, 2010

There is a reason that Geja's wins the "Most Romantic Restaurant in Chicago" award time and time again. All you have to do is take one step inside the restaurant to figure that out. From the Flamenco guitarist to the dimly lit booths and tables, Geja's will definitely knock the socks off of your date!! They have a small bar in back with about 6-8 stools which is also a romantic setting and intimate setting.

Favorite Dish: The beef and lobster combo is a must but I have tried most dishes and all are pretty darn good.

• spgood301's Profile Photo

Geja's Cafe: Fondue? Can do!

by spgood301 Written Jun 8, 2006

We were brought to Geja's Cafe for a work get together. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. Walking into Geja's Cafe, the first thing I noticed is how dark it, but I quickly came to realize that it's part of the ambience. And what great ambience it is, all a prelude to some incredible food.

Geja's Cafe is renown for it's fondue and fine wines - hey, it says so on their business card! The first course is the cheese fondue. Dip your apple wedges, grapes and bread in some melted cheese. Swirl it around for a while, and enjoy.

The main course is your choice of lobster tail, shrimp, sea scallops, beef tenderloin and chicken. All cut into little pieces (though the shrimp is huge, which sounds kind of weird), and all served raw. You cook it in yourself in heated oil, right at your table.

When the meat is done cooking, it's sooooo tender. Dip it in one of eight sauces & add some veggies for one fantastic meal. And, yes, you cook it all yourself. Hey, if I can do it, you can do it. It all goes great with a glass or two of fine wine. Finish by dipping some bread, fruit & marshmallows in hot, melted chocolate to cap a meal to remember.

Bring some friends or that special someone - it's quite a romatic place. Gejas Cafe is guaranteed to satisfy.

Favorite Dish: I had the beef and shrimp combo. The beef, cooked in hot oil, almost melts in your mouth, and the shrimp is tasty too.

• yaya15923's Profile Photo

Geja's Cafe (Fondue): Geja's Cafe (Fondue)

by yaya15923 Updated Jan 26, 2005

OK, this place is $$$$$$($30-$40)per person and this is without drinks and tip, but for special occasions I feel it's worth every penny. This restaurant is perfect for a couple looking for a romantic evening out or for a group celebrating a special occasion. My favorite is the live flamenco and classical guitar music that helps to set the mood just right. Oh and the decor!!! I definitely would love to hire their decorator. The only real negative about this place is that you leave reeking of oil. Plan to take your clothing to a dry cleaner afterwards.

Favorite Dish: The food is excellent and trust me there is plenty of it. You start with a salad, a cheese fondue appetizer with breads and fruit follows, then your main dish, either chicken, seafood or beef served with a mountain of raw veggies, then just when you think you can't take another bite the chocolate fondue arrives with strawberries, marshmallows and poundcake. Basically you are rolled out of the place.
    Please Note: wear stretchy clothing!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Geja's Cafe: Lincoln Park-Fondue

by Dabs Updated Nov 8, 2004

I had heard for years that Geja's Cafe was one of the most romantic restaurants in Chicago. We had tickets for a show at the Park West which is on the same block so we thought we'd finally give it a try.

The setting is rather romantic, the lights are down low, the noise level not too bad, many of the booths are fairly intimate. You will, however, go home smelling like boiling oil.

This is not an inexpensive restaurant, most of the meal combinations were $30 and higher unless you got cheese and chocolate or chicken.

I didn't budget enough time for the meal, I thought 1 1/2 hours would be enough time, we were there for at least 2 hours.

Favorite Dish: We initially ordered the cheese and chocolate fondue special, I love cheese fondue and didn't want to overeat. But when the cheese fondue appetizer arrived for Lisa, we tasted it and it wasn't very good, we changed our order to beef tenderloin.

The meals start with a small salad, cheese fondue appetizer, main course of whichever meat you choose plus an assortment of vegetables, capped with a chocolate fondue and coffee.

The cheese fondue was a little heavy on the cheddar cheese, didn't taste like other gruyere/wine based fondues that I've had. It also seemed to be a bit gritty and had a strong nutmeg flavor. I didn't really care for it.

The beef tenderloin was very good quality meat and the 8 dipping sauces were all very tasty.

I was quite full by the time the chocolate dessert fondue came, they give you marshmellows to roast as the liquor burns off and a selection of fruits and pound cake to dip.

I haven't been to the Fondue Stube on Peterson in quite a few years so it's a bit hard to compare but I used to really enjoy going there. The atmosphere at Fondue Stube wasn't quite as nice but I thought their cheese fondue was awesome and the white chocolate fondue divine.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Geja's Cafe: What's Old is New Again: Fondue Dining

by deecat Updated Dec 8, 2003

For my birthday this summer, my husband took me, our daughter, and her boyfriend to a wonderful Fondue Dining Restaurant called "Geja's Cafe" on West Armitage.
    You walk down the stairs from the sidewalk level and enter this delightful place with its romantic dim lights and individual booths and immediately see and hear its Flamenco and Classical Guitar performances.
    The waiter comes to the table and explains how this style of eating is done. First, he brings out individual plates of delicious salads. Next, he brings out a pot full of oil that is heated by a flame under the pan. This first batch of food is all kinds of vegetables that you place on the skewer and into the hot oil.
    The second course includes lobster, fillet, chicken, and onions. This also goes into the hot oil. Each person orders the meat that he/she wishes to eat and has an individual plate to use. The skewers have color-coded tips on the handles so they are never mixed up.
    The final course is of cake, apples, bananas, strawberries, that is dipped into hot chocolate fudge. "To die for!"
    Of course, we had wine to accompany our meal.
    During this two-hour meal, there were classical guitar players roaming around and playing beautiful music for each table.

Favorite Dish: My favorite was two items: the lobster placed into the hot oil and the strawberries placed in the hot chocolate fudge.

Allan and I remember having a Fondue dinner
    thirty five years ago. I hope that we do not wait that long for the next experience.
    This is rather expensive, but quite worth it.
    I might add that the Chicago Cub's pitcher, Kerry Wood, comes to Geja's Cafe regularly.

Fondue dining at Geja's Cafe

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Geja's Cafe: It Takes Two to Fondue

by SFHulaGIrl Written Nov 4, 2003

Geja's Cafe is a romantic little restaurant serving up all kinds of delicious fondues. The flamenco/classical guitarist adds just the right touch. The cheese & chocolate fondue special ($16 per person) was more than enough to fill up my friend and me! Their cheese fondues are $12 per person, the meat & seafood fondues are $24-$39 per person, and the chocolate fondue is $9 per person.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate fondue has orange liqueur and is served with pound cake, apples, melon, pineapple, marshmallows, strawberries, and bananas for your dipping pleasure!

• Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Geja's Cafe: Fondue?

by CoAir13 Written Feb 18, 2004

Dimly lit....romantic, if you will. Smallish, cozy, low ceilings. It's fondue....what can you say?? Reservations are a must!!!!

Favorite Dish: Hmmmm.....cheese, oil, or chocolate.....it's all good!!

YUMMY

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Geja's Cafe
4.0 out of 5 stars