Gibson's - Hugo's Frog Bar, Chicago

Almost like Paris
    by Callavetta
  • Gibson's - Hugo's Frog Bar
    by Mairo21
  • Gibson,s: not the greatest but not bad

by genebeans Written Oct 5, 2011

We wanted to have a quite glass of wine at the bar before the dinner. This place holds more people then you will see at a Super Bowl. It is mobbed and noisy. The food was fine once we got seated. Just very noisy

Favorite Dish: Steak and mushrooms

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Gibson's/Hugo's Frog Bar: Steak and Seafood

by Mairo21 Updated Dec 25, 2007

Craving big flavored steaks? Head to Gibson's Steakhouse where fresh fish is served daily, and enormous lobster tails are served for your delight. An evening out at Gibsons will include a fun and happening atmosphere with light entertainment, large portions of great food, and uncompromising service. Upon the walls of the restaurant hang an array of famous celebs who have wined and dined here aswell. Fast and friendly service. One of the BEST restaurants I have had the pleasure to eat at...to date!

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Gibson's/Hugo's Frog Bar: A perfect bruch surrounded by locals

by Callavetta Written Sep 23, 2007

We noticed this little neighborhood of restaurants near Lincoln Park while we were driving around the weekend before. So on our last day in Chicago when we were looking for a good place for brunch we headed back to see what we could find. The neighborhood is full of cute little places, all crowded with locals enjoying the last day of summer. And a perfect day it was. We drove around at least 3 times trying to decide on the perfect place, and maybe even find a parking place (HA!) and on the 3rd time decided on Gibsons. Valet parking at $11 was a definite plus.

The outside tables were full so we chose to sit inside and ended up in kind of a middleground, a nice table by the window in a room set off from the main dining room that was kind of like a conservatory. Very outdoor feeling.

The service was friendly and attentive. I noticed that many of the patrons seem to be regulars and were chatting about their week's activities with the staff. Between our server and the busboy, we had plenty of conversation ourselves.

Gibsons is known for their steaks but this was brunch. They still have steak on the menu, and several menu items that include grade A beef. Bread and butter are brought the table with three different kinds of bread included.

Favorite Dish: I had the crab cake benedict and was very pleased. The crab cake was simple, not loaded up with lots of other ingredients and big chunks of fresh crab. We had a goat cheese and tomato appetizer that was excellent. My mimosa had freshed squeezed orange juice, complete with seed.

Almost like Paris

• mwenn2100's Profile Photo

Gibson's: Gibson's Steaks

by mwenn2100 Updated May 10, 2007

I was taken here for lunch and promised "the best steak I had ever had". Not being a huge steak person, I must admit that it was one of the better steaks I had ever had! At lunch, Gibson's offers a more relaxed atmosphere than dinner, but the food and atmosphere were still exceptional. Reservations are always recommended here, but the bar area offers a casual seat yourself atmosphere.

Gibson's boasts a great winelist, exceptional steaks, sandwiches, salads, soup and great sides. We of course each had a steak, which was done to perfection and came with a great sauce on the side. This restaurant is pricey, but is worth the splurge if you love steak. The bar area was pretty crowded with the lunch time rush, but wasn't overly loud or obnoxious.

My only warning about this restaurant was that I think our waitress tried to pad the bill. Just make sure that you are looking closely at the bill and that everything on it was something you actually ordered. After the person I was with signed the slip, I looked at the reciept and there were 4 extra dishes added to it!!! The waitress immediately took the items off and reran the card, but it just seemed a bit fishy to me.

Favorite Dish: Went exclusively for the steak!

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Gibson's: If you must eat steak...

by travelmad478 Written Feb 1, 2004

At some point during the time you spend in Chicago--the former commercial hub of the American cattle ranching industry--you're going to want a big, honkin' piece of beef. The city has plenty of steakhouses to satisfy you, and one of the leading lights is Gibson's. I was dragged to this place by some colleagues visiting from Europe, who were hypnotized by the waiter displaying the huge raw slabs of meat that made up the menu. They all ordered with stars in their eyes and then proceeded to be utterly defeated by the sheer immensity of the food that landed before them. Beware! The steak is great, but the food is massive, and so are the prices.

Gibson's is very crowded, but a great scene. If you've got the cash for a splurge meal, by all means take a seat and watch the huge people go by. When I was there, I saw football players, Chicago politicians, and Fabio!

• Leniwy's Profile Photo

Gibson's Steakhouse ; Hugo's Frog Bar: Gibson's and the Frog Bar

by Leniwy Updated Feb 4, 2003

Located along the famous Rush Street restaurant row, these two sister establishments are famous for their unique ambiance as well as the fine dining.

Favorite Dish: Gibson's was 'too' famous to even get into (on this warm August night), but the decor of the Frog Bar: Ceiling fans driven by leather belts (like an old New England factory!), and, of course, the swordfish on the wall. Interesting music, too: a guy banging out a an amazing rendition of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" on a beaten-up old upright piano that looked like it'd been gutted out of a demolished grade school.

A warm summer's night along Rush Street

• PATandSUE's Profile Photo

Gibson's Steakhouse on...

by PATandSUE Written Aug 26, 2002

Gibson's Steakhouse on Rush;
    Bob Chinn's (just opened downtown - saves me a trip to Wheeling)
    Gibson's is great for celeb spotting, I've lost count of all the celebs I have seen here.

Favorite Dish: Ginson's - Steak!!
    Chinns - steak and the best damn seafood in the world

Instant Answers: Chicago