Giordano's, Chicago

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Giordano's: For The Best Chicago Style Pizza

by TRimer Updated Jan 2, 2007

Deep Dish Pizza

While the tourists flock to Pizza Uno and Due, Chicagoans go to Giordano's when craving great Chicago style (deep dish or stuffed) pizza. Their pizza was voted "Reader's Choice" by the Chicago Tribune, "Best Pizza in America" by the Today Show and has won the Food Industry News "Silver Platter Award" for the past 10 years.

Favorite Dish: Ok. I admit it. I prefer New York style pizza to Chicago style. With that said, having lived in this town for almost a decade, I can say that I have sampled a few pizzas. Chicago pizza tends to fall into 2 categories- "thin crust" which is a flat, almost cracker like base with tomato sauce, some cheese and lots of toppings (everything from sausage to pineapple) and "deep dish" or "stuffed" which is a wonderful cheesy, tomato combination with either spinach (my preference) or some sort of meat. Strangely, the thin crusty is cut in squares while the deep dish/stuffed is served as slices.

Giordano's pizza has a sweet, bread-like crust and they serve their slices with just the right proportion of cheese to other stuffing. Just remember- the deep dish/stuffed pizza takes about 30-45 minutes to bake.

• xuxaBR's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Surprised !

by xuxaBR Updated Nov 20, 2006

In our travel to Chicago, my husband and I, had to try the famous Chicago's pizza ! So we picked Giordano's . Nice place with the typical Italian ambience ! There was a little waiting which is expected of a famous place when you don't make reservations. After we were seated and placed our order, we waited for a very long time for the salad that we wanted to have before our pizza, it never happened ! When the waitress finally brought our pizza, it was cold ! We asked her to please take it back to warm it up. After a long wait...again, she brought it back burned !! The salad never came....we were so frustrated with that horrible experience that we never went to another pizza place in Chicago ! There are excellent places to eat in Chicago and even at that same restaurant some people may have had a totally different experience.....Maybe it was just our luck that night, but it was certainly very frustrating ! The pizza, if not burned, was good

• Architecture

• jaolucas's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Pizzamaniaaaa!

by jaolucas Written Nov 2, 2006

Chicago's most famous dish - pizza! Be it for snack, lunch or dinner you could never go wrong with Giordano's pizza.

Favorite Dish: There's nothing like Giordano's deep dish pizza. My favorites are pepperoni and sausage pizzas. A slice or two would be enough even for a guy as big as myself. So bring along some friends and family unless you want a doggy bag to take home. And be sure you're ready to wait. Giordano's is almost always packed that you have to wait to be seated for around 30 mins or so..and the pizza takes 40-45 mins to cook. But hey! It's worth the wait.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Giordano's Pizza: We make the pizza -- You make us famous!

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 20, 2006

Get your Chicago stuffed pizza here!

Giordano's is one of the classic Chicago stuffed pizza emporiums. This one is named after the founders' mother, who would make a stuffed pizza for Easter. The argument between Pizzeria Uno and Giordano's is one that will never be settled!

Favorite Dish: If you like stuffed pizza the classic one with just cheese is a good place to start, although I am partial to mushrooms & spinach!

• Giordano's: World Famous Stuffed Pizza

by CoAir13 Written Apr 19, 2006

There are several locations throughout Chicagoland to satisfy your need for cheese! In addition to the pizza, there are pasta dishes and sandwiches, wonderful appetizers, and delicious desserts! I reccommend starving yourself for at least 12 hours before eating at Giordano's. Not for the lactose intolerant!!

• Architecture

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Good Pizza And Atmosphere

by mikehanneman Updated Jan 13, 2006

Making Pizzas!

Great atmosphere in downtown Chicago (near the Sears Tower) and good pizza.

The deep dish pizza was too much for my son and myself to eat in one setting.

I like thin pizza (which they offered too) - next time I am in Chicago I will try their thin version.

I really enjoyed the place. Watching the people and the decor was appealing.

Go to my home page to check out my trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon!

Mike

Favorite Dish: Pizza - deep dish or thin.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Giordano's Why go to Chicago+not try deep dish?

by lashr1999 Written Nov 13, 2005

The first Giordano's was opened on February 1974. They served a variation of their mother's deep-dish, double-crusted pizza, which she made on Easter and stuffed with ricotta cheese. Today, they serve both deep dish and thin crust pizza. You have your choice of toppings. The small plain serves 1-2 people and costs $8 for the thin and $12 for the deep dish. We got the small spinach deep dish which costs $15.

The one thing you must remember when eating here is that since the pizza is freshly prepared, it takes about 30 for your thin crust to be ready or 45 minute for your deep dish to be ready. You should order a light appetizer for your wait time. Salads are about $5 and the mozzarella sticks and stuffed mushrooms are $6. I was disappointed they didn't include some free bread sticks to chew on because of the long wait time. It is one of the suggestions I emailed to them.

If pizza is not your cup of tea there are salads, pastas and sandwiches to choose from. But why would you come to Chicago and not try a deep dish pizza. That is kind of like going to Philly and not trying a cheese steak.

When the pizza finally did come out, it looked huge. The small deep dish really does serve 1-2 people. It has a lot of cheese which I love but it had too much sauce that is sweet. I scraped that off and ate the rest. I finished my half of the pie, but my mother was struggling to finish the first slice of hers.

The service was good, our pizza arrived correctly. However, the table behind us ordered a spinach deep dish as well, but the waitress screwed up their order and gave them a plain. They knocked off a couple of dollars for them for the mistake. I don't think I would be too happy even with a discount after a 45 minute wait.

Overall the pizza was OK and the service was good. However, the original Pizzeria Uno which I had twice the last time I was in Chicago is my hands down favorite for deep dish pizza. I didn't eat there because I wanted to see what other deep dishes were out there.

• Study Abroad

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Best Chicago Style Pizza!

by Marisola Updated Nov 3, 2005

Hyde Park Location

Pizza is very important in Chicago! While I enjoy all of them, to me, Giordano's is the best! It's where I always bring my friends when they come to visit!

Favorite Dish: To me, a pizza isn't great unless it has tons of ingredients! I like deep dish pizza with sausage, onions, olives, tomatoes, green peppers and extra sauce.

• Study Abroad

• arv1's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Home of the stuffed Pizza

by arv1 Written Aug 20, 2005

This restaurant is located in many places in Chicago...as the menu says, but the one I ate in was near the Sears Tower...so you can imagine the view...big sky scraper buildings everywhere!! But all in all it was nice to be there! Most recently when I went it poured down with rain, and with a window view it was great, very therapeutic...but I'm sure I would be saying something different if I was outside!!

The food is great, I've eaten here twice and ordered different things each time, and both times I was extremely satsifed!! This time, we ordered too much food, actually I think it was a normal amount...but the portions were HUGE!!! It was unbelievable!! SO a warning...ask about portion sizes!!

Service has always been with a smile BUT it is very very slow! However, whenever the service is slow, I always think 'at least they are making it fresh'...so think the same!!

Favorite Dish: You have to get a 'stuffed pizza' !! It is the most amazing thing I have ever eaten!! Whenever someones asks me what the best thing I have eaten is, I mention this pizza!! You must get it!! Being a vegetarian, I ordered a Super-veggie and was amazed that it tasted so gooood!!

It was basically a standard pizza but with generous amounts of vegetables, special tomato sauce and cheese, followed by another layer of dough and special sauce, baked to perfection in 35 mins. Yuuuuummmm!!

The combination platter was a great starter but you need at least 5 people to share it if you want to savour the taste of the pizza. The platter consists of Mozzarella sticks, and deep-fried zucchinis (courgette) and mushrooms.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Giordano's: The great pizza challenge

by goingsolo Written May 31, 2005

Chicago has raised eating to an art form and it is one of the great cultural events of visiting the city. One of Chicago's best fast food treats is pizza and there is a raging debate about which is the best.

The debate gets quite interesting as there is controversy over not only who has the best pizza but which type of pizza is best. You can choose from thin crust, deep dish or stuffed.

Since my time in Chicago was so limited, I was only able to try one place. Many call Giordano's the best pizza in Chicago. Many debate that and everyone has an opinion on the subject, but we'll move on from that point.

Much like fine dining, eating a stuffed crust pizza is an event. First, there's the wait of 30 minutes or so while it cooks. Then it is presented to your table and placed on a wooden platform. After that, a seemingly mile high slab of cheese, fillings and dough is placed in front of you by a friendly waiter.

I thought the sausage and cheese pizza was delicious, although the sauce on top wasn't the greatest. I liked the crust - crispy but not greasy- and overall would have to say that this was great pizza. It took a knife and fork to eat it, and it was pretty filling, but definitely a treat.

• Dundooni's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Stuffed Pizza ... It's the Stuff of Chicago!

by Dundooni Written Apr 26, 2005
    Mmmmm. Pizza.

Giordano's is synonymous with Chicago - lively environment, bustling crowds, great authentic Chicago style pizza. Once you get there with your party, you are most likely in for a 45 minute wait. Take advantage of the "Order Your Pizza Ahead" option. That way, your pizza will be baking while you wait. It will minimize the seated at table to eating pizza time significantly.

Favorite Dish: I love the classic favorite - deep dish stuffed with cheese and spinach. I also recommend a house salad and a cup of their soup of the day. No matter what is has been, it has always been delicious and fresh!

• Giordano's: Deep Dish Pizza

by cameik1 Updated Nov 12, 2004

I mentioned my favorite thin pizza in another restaurant tip.

Now for deep dish. Chicago is known for this. I haven't tried, or even attempted to try deep dish outside of Chicago.

I am going to be careful with this one b/c I am not a true native Chicagoan. I also have not tried all of the pizzerias that supposedly specialize in this delicacy. From what I have tried-and I have tried many-I rank Giordano's as my favorite.

Giordano's is actually a chain, so there are many locations in Chicago and the 'burbs. I also saw one in Orlando, FL.

Favorite Dish: The secret to deep dish is that more toppings you order, the less cheese you get. There is a lot of cheese in a plain deep dish. So, if your cholesterol is as high as mine, load up on the veggies.

• Giordano's: makes the best Chicago's famous deep dish pizza

by TRAVELCHICK29 Written Jun 11, 2004
    inside Giordano's

Whenever I try to impress visitors to Chicago, I take them to Giordano's and order them a deep dish pizza. "Best pizza that i have ever had"is always the first thing that comes out of their mouth.

Favorite Dish: Fresh ingredients, and delicious pizza crust

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Good Pizza in Chicago!

by rmdw Written Oct 29, 2003

Giordano's Pizza

Giordano's has too many locations to mention. There's a simple reason why: They make GREAT pizza!

They offer both thin crust and stuffed pizza.

Favorite Dish: My favourite variety has spinach and shrimp, though I love everything from Giordano's.

• klarson's Profile Photo

Giordanos Pizza: Chicago Pizza!

by klarson Updated Jun 14, 2003
    Giordanos Stuffed Pizza

Giordanos is probably one of the best places to get Chicago style deep dish and stuffed pizza. There's simply nothing like it anywhere else! I've gotten "Chicago Style" pizza in other places, but it never tastes as good as right here in Chicago.

The Giordanos in Evanston (and perhaps other ones in the area) have half-price pizza on Monday nights. A Greate Deal!

Favorite Dish: I like either pepporoni and mushroom or spinach stuffed pizza. Whatever's on it, it's gotta be *stuffed* (or at least deep dish). It is *so* much better than thin crust pizza!

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Giordano's
3.5 out of 5 stars