Giordano's, Chicago

by staindesign
  • deecat's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Just Around the Corner From Our Hotel

by deecat Updated Oct 22, 2008

The first day that Rosie and I spent in Chicago, we went non-stop. It was nine at night, and we still had not eaten dinner. We were too tired to get dressed up and go for a long distance away; thus, we chose a place within a short walk of our hotel. One item that I wanted Rosie to try was a Chicago favorite, Deep Dish Pizza. Although Giordano's Pizza would not be my first choice in Chicago, it was convenient and good.

We walked to the restaurant, which was crowded for this late on a Wednesday night. It was typical Giordano's with the checkered table clothes. We were seated and attended to immediately.

Besides a pizza, we decided to have house salads as well. The salads were good, but not special. At least they were fresh, crisp, and cold.

Then we had to decide what kind of Deep Dish Pizza we wanted to share. We knew that we did not want left overs since we were staying in a hotel. Thus, we ordered the SMALL size. We both like olives so we chose a cheese and olive pizza. It was a very good choice, and we ate all of it but one piece, which we left behind [I must admit that this was the first time I've ever left pizza].

Rosie was impressed; she was amazed at the amount of cheese that the deep dish pizza has on it...that's the part that makes it so good. All-in-all, it was a successful meal, but not the excellent one that I had in mind to introduce Rosie to a Chicago favorite, Deep Dish Pizza

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Best Chicago Style Pizza!

by Marisola Updated Nov 3, 2005

Hyde Park Location

Pizza is very important in Chicago! While I enjoy all of them, to me, Giordano's is the best! It's where I always bring my friends when they come to visit!

Favorite Dish: To me, a pizza isn't great unless it has tons of ingredients! I like deep dish pizza with sausage, onions, olives, tomatoes, green peppers and extra sauce.

• Study Abroad

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Famous spot for pizza

by Jefie Written Oct 12, 2008

My delicious thin crust pizza at Giordano's

I was so hungry when I got off the plane in Chicago, my first thought was "let's get some pizza"! Just down the street from my hotel I spotted Giordano's and decided to give it a try. I saw that what they were most famous for was their stuffed pizza but since I was on my own I figured there was no way I could get through that 2-inch thick pizza (although it did look delicious) so I went for a thin crust pizza instead. Actually, I ordered a peperoni and cheese pizza, which I guess you're not supposed to do - my super nice waiter sort of made a face and kindly informed me that cheese was part of the pizza. From that moment on, I think he thought I was eating my very first pizza - when he brought it over, he even informed me that I would find the peperoni underneath the cheese! He also came over quite a few times to make sure I was enjoying my pizza and seemed very happy to see me eat a good chunk of it.

I was really hungry so I could have eaten anything, but I think Giordano's makes really good pizza. Another thing I learned during my trip is that Chicagoans really do know their pizza: tell them where you've eaten, they'll tell you what the crust and the sauce taste like. According to various opinions, it seems like I Giordano's was a good pick, but they all told me I had to go back to try the stuffed pizza. Perhaps next time I'm in town??

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Good Pizza in Chicago!

by rmdw Written Oct 29, 2003

Giordano's Pizza

Giordano's has too many locations to mention. There's a simple reason why: They make GREAT pizza!

They offer both thin crust and stuffed pizza.

Favorite Dish: My favourite variety has spinach and shrimp, though I love everything from Giordano's.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Giordano's: My favorite pizzas-stuffed part II

by Dabs Updated Mar 4, 2014

Stuffed pizza (March 2009)

Last visit to Lake Street location with Ed (kaspian) June, 2011. New South Loop location opened January 2014 at 1340 S. Michigan

Giordano's comes up a lot as one of people's favorite pizzas, I hadn't been to one in many years, not because I don't like their pizza, just because I always seem to be taking people to Lou Malnati's for deep dish or because Edwardo's is more convenient for us for stuffed. But when Peter (loisl) came to town, his hotel was just a couple of blocks away and it was raining cats and dogs so it seemed like a good time to try it again.

Giordano's has many locations in the city and suburbs and also a few locations in Florida, we ate at the one on Rush Street which is the closest to the hotels on the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue). The interior is very nice and it's a large restaurant. We were seated immediately but as we were finishing up, I noticed that they were packed. In July 2009 we tried to eat at the Rush Street location but there was an 1 1/4 hour wait as it was Friday night a bit after 6pm. So we headed off to the Lake Street location which had a more reasonable 15-20 minute wait, put in your pizza order and you don't have to wait as long once you're seated.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a large stuffed pepperoni/green pepper pizza for the three of us, the boys made good work of the pizza and one lonely piece ended up as leftovers. Stuffed pizza is different than deep dish, the pizza served at Uno's, Due's, Gino's East and Lou Malnati's. The main difference is where the ingredients hang out, on a deep dish they are on top, on a stuffed they are under a thin crust with a thin layer of tomato sauce. Stuffed pizza is heavier than deep dish, many people will find that 1 slice is enough. Expect to wait about 35-40 minutes if you order a stuffed pizza, sometimes they will take orders over the phone for dine in if you want to try calling ahead.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Giordano's: The great pizza challenge

by goingsolo Written May 31, 2005

Chicago has raised eating to an art form and it is one of the great cultural events of visiting the city. One of Chicago's best fast food treats is pizza and there is a raging debate about which is the best.

The debate gets quite interesting as there is controversy over not only who has the best pizza but which type of pizza is best. You can choose from thin crust, deep dish or stuffed.

Since my time in Chicago was so limited, I was only able to try one place. Many call Giordano's the best pizza in Chicago. Many debate that and everyone has an opinion on the subject, but we'll move on from that point.

Much like fine dining, eating a stuffed crust pizza is an event. First, there's the wait of 30 minutes or so while it cooks. Then it is presented to your table and placed on a wooden platform. After that, a seemingly mile high slab of cheese, fillings and dough is placed in front of you by a friendly waiter.

I thought the sausage and cheese pizza was delicious, although the sauce on top wasn't the greatest. I liked the crust - crispy but not greasy- and overall would have to say that this was great pizza. It took a knife and fork to eat it, and it was pretty filling, but definitely a treat.

• Giordano's: World Famous Stuffed Pizza

by CoAir13 Written Apr 19, 2006

There are several locations throughout Chicagoland to satisfy your need for cheese! In addition to the pizza, there are pasta dishes and sandwiches, wonderful appetizers, and delicious desserts! I reccommend starving yourself for at least 12 hours before eating at Giordano's. Not for the lactose intolerant!!

• Architecture

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Good Pizza And Atmosphere

by mikehanneman Updated Jan 13, 2006

Making Pizzas!

Great atmosphere in downtown Chicago (near the Sears Tower) and good pizza.

The deep dish pizza was too much for my son and myself to eat in one setting.

I like thin pizza (which they offered too) - next time I am in Chicago I will try their thin version.

I really enjoyed the place. Watching the people and the decor was appealing.

Go to my home page to check out my trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon!

Mike

Favorite Dish: Pizza - deep dish or thin.

• xuxaBR's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Surprised !

by xuxaBR Updated Nov 20, 2006

In our travel to Chicago, my husband and I, had to try the famous Chicago's pizza ! So we picked Giordano's . Nice place with the typical Italian ambience ! There was a little waiting which is expected of a famous place when you don't make reservations. After we were seated and placed our order, we waited for a very long time for the salad that we wanted to have before our pizza, it never happened ! When the waitress finally brought our pizza, it was cold ! We asked her to please take it back to warm it up. After a long wait...again, she brought it back burned !! The salad never came....we were so frustrated with that horrible experience that we never went to another pizza place in Chicago ! There are excellent places to eat in Chicago and even at that same restaurant some people may have had a totally different experience.....Maybe it was just our luck that night, but it was certainly very frustrating ! The pizza, if not burned, was good

• Architecture

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Giordano's: For The Best Chicago Style Pizza

by TRimer Updated Jan 2, 2007

Deep Dish Pizza

While the tourists flock to Pizza Uno and Due, Chicagoans go to Giordano's when craving great Chicago style (deep dish or stuffed) pizza. Their pizza was voted "Reader's Choice" by the Chicago Tribune, "Best Pizza in America" by the Today Show and has won the Food Industry News "Silver Platter Award" for the past 10 years.

Favorite Dish: Ok. I admit it. I prefer New York style pizza to Chicago style. With that said, having lived in this town for almost a decade, I can say that I have sampled a few pizzas. Chicago pizza tends to fall into 2 categories- "thin crust" which is a flat, almost cracker like base with tomato sauce, some cheese and lots of toppings (everything from sausage to pineapple) and "deep dish" or "stuffed" which is a wonderful cheesy, tomato combination with either spinach (my preference) or some sort of meat. Strangely, the thin crusty is cut in squares while the deep dish/stuffed is served as slices.

Giordano's pizza has a sweet, bread-like crust and they serve their slices with just the right proportion of cheese to other stuffing. Just remember- the deep dish/stuffed pizza takes about 30-45 minutes to bake.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

by staindesign Updated Nov 28, 2009

I know everyone has heard of this restaurant if you have been to Chicago. But i can't help to still recommend it. The best pizza ever! It is at least 30-40 min. wait for it to bake. But it is worth it! So Darn good!

Favorite Dish: Deep Dish Pizza!

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Chicago-Style Pizza

by lisha74 Written Jan 14, 2010

When you come to Chicago, you have several options for the "world famous Chicago-style pizza." Giordano's happens to be my favorite of the bunch. Word of warning - only one piece is an entire meal!

Favorite Dish: Love the sausage pizza. And even though it's not what they're known for, their calamari appetizer is out of this world.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo

Giordanos: Chicago Style Pizza

by evilprebil Written Jun 20, 2010

Essentially, a Chicago style pizza is a deep dish pizza usually with a thick crust layered with a larger than normal amount of cheese topped with sauce. I've been to the chain restaurant Pizzaria Uno before and thought it was okay, so I figured I would love it at lesser known establishments native to Chicago. I had planned on going to Lou Malnatti's but a friend who lived in Chicago that I grew up with in Philly suggested Giordano's. Bad move. I was seriously disappointed. We went to the one at 135 E. Lake. The server was rude, if he had ignored us it would have been better service. When the pizza came it smelled wonderful, but tasted like it had been frozen and reheated.

Note that anywhere you go for deep dish pizza you have to wait 30-45mins in order for the pizza to cook so don't think that's bad service...it takes a long time to cook all that dough!

Favorite Dish: The only thing I liked was the local Goose Island beer on tap!

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Deep Dish Pizza

by Mairo21 Written Dec 24, 2007

Chicago is known for it's world famous deep dish pizzas. I went to Giordano's to try my first one. They were busy, so there was a waiting list...but, it was well worth the wait. Ambience was cozy. Fast and friendly service.

• arv1's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Home of the stuffed Pizza

by arv1 Written Aug 20, 2005

This restaurant is located in many places in Chicago...as the menu says, but the one I ate in was near the Sears Tower...so you can imagine the view...big sky scraper buildings everywhere!! But all in all it was nice to be there! Most recently when I went it poured down with rain, and with a window view it was great, very therapeutic...but I'm sure I would be saying something different if I was outside!!

The food is great, I've eaten here twice and ordered different things each time, and both times I was extremely satsifed!! This time, we ordered too much food, actually I think it was a normal amount...but the portions were HUGE!!! It was unbelievable!! SO a warning...ask about portion sizes!!

Service has always been with a smile BUT it is very very slow! However, whenever the service is slow, I always think 'at least they are making it fresh'...so think the same!!

Favorite Dish: You have to get a 'stuffed pizza' !! It is the most amazing thing I have ever eaten!! Whenever someones asks me what the best thing I have eaten is, I mention this pizza!! You must get it!! Being a vegetarian, I ordered a Super-veggie and was amazed that it tasted so gooood!!

It was basically a standard pizza but with generous amounts of vegetables, special tomato sauce and cheese, followed by another layer of dough and special sauce, baked to perfection in 35 mins. Yuuuuummmm!!

The combination platter was a great starter but you need at least 5 people to share it if you want to savour the taste of the pizza. The platter consists of Mozzarella sticks, and deep-fried zucchinis (courgette) and mushrooms.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Giordano's
3.5 out of 5 stars