Giordano's, Chicago

by staindesign
  • Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Best Pizza Anywhere

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Dec 13, 2007

A few years ago when I was in Chicago I stumbled upon Giordano's. One bite of their famous stuffed pizza and I was hooked for good. I've returned to Chicago two or three times since then and on each visit I've made it a point to eat at Giordano's. As far as my taste is concerned, their deep dish pizza is not only the best pizza but one of the best foods in the world. Period. I've had lots of other good pizzas, many mediocre ones, and some that were just downright sorry. Giordano's is my all time favorite.

Giordano's has other things on the menu besides pizza, but with pizza this good why try anything else. Also, I've always found the service to be good and the prices fair.

Established in 1974, Giordano's has several locations in and around Chicago, plus a few other locations, primarily in Illinois and Florida.

Favorite Dish: My favorite pizza at Giordanos is the "Special:" sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, onions, slathered in yummy tomato sauce with gobs of gooey cheeze. The deep dish pizza takes about thirty minutes to cook and is well worth the wait.

Giordano's Deep Dish Pizza Giordano's near the Sears Tower Inside Giordano's Welcome to Giordano's

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Giordano's Pizza: We make the pizza -- You make us famous!

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 20, 2006

Giordano's is one of the classic Chicago stuffed pizza emporiums. This one is named after the founders' mother, who would make a stuffed pizza for Easter. The argument between Pizzeria Uno and Giordano's is one that will never be settled!

Favorite Dish: If you like stuffed pizza the classic one with just cheese is a good place to start, although I am partial to mushrooms & spinach!

Get your Chicago stuffed pizza here!

• silly659's Profile Photo

Giordanos: Great stuffed pizza

by silly659 Updated May 25, 2011

It's a similar setting to Pizzeria Uno in the US, very busy (so either order ahead or eat a little before going). Remember the pizza takes about 35-40 minutes to make.

Favorite Dish: We had their deep dish stuffed pizza - spinach with mozarella and parmesean and it was just delicious. Super filling though, so if you want to truly taste it, don't recommend appetizers before hand.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Giordano's Pizza: Famous stuffed pizza

by BLewJay Updated May 29, 2012

On our way to New York, we had a 4 hour layover in Chicago. So instead of sitting around the airport, we asked the flight attendants for some recommendations and they said head to Giordano's. Oh my, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza...gotta have it!!! We hailed a taxi and 5 minutes later we were at the nearest Giordano's.

Favorite Dish: Been a very long time since I've been to Giordano's but the food hasn't changed...so damn delicious. We ordered a 10 inch Small Deep Dish Pizza (1/2 Veggie and 1/2 Shrimp) as well as a pitcher of Blue Moon Beer.

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Blue Moon Beer Customers in the restaurant
    • Beer Tasting

• heath1978's Profile Photo

Giordano's: How Pizza is supposed to be!!

by heath1978 Written Jan 25, 2007

True Chicago-style pizza. Loaded with ingredients, more cheese than you can imagine, a delictable crust, and the tomato sauce is mouth-watering. The ingredients are on the inside and the sauce is on top.

Favorite Dish: Go with the stuffed (DEEP) dish, for sure! It takes a little while to cook but the wait is certainly worth it. Two pieces will more than fill you up.

Stuffed Pizza You won't regret it.

• jaolucas's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Pizzamaniaaaa!

by jaolucas Written Nov 2, 2006

Chicago's most famous dish - pizza! Be it for snack, lunch or dinner you could never go wrong with Giordano's pizza.

Favorite Dish: There's nothing like Giordano's deep dish pizza. My favorites are pepperoni and sausage pizzas. A slice or two would be enough even for a guy as big as myself. So bring along some friends and family unless you want a doggy bag to take home. And be sure you're ready to wait. Giordano's is almost always packed that you have to wait to be seated for around 30 mins or so..and the pizza takes 40-45 mins to cook. But hey! It's worth the wait.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Giordano's Why go to Chicago+not try deep dish?

by lashr1999 Written Nov 13, 2005

The first Giordano's was opened on February 1974. They served a variation of their mother's deep-dish, double-crusted pizza, which she made on Easter and stuffed with ricotta cheese. Today, they serve both deep dish and thin crust pizza. You have your choice of toppings. The small plain serves 1-2 people and costs $8 for the thin and $12 for the deep dish. We got the small spinach deep dish which costs $15.

The one thing you must remember when eating here is that since the pizza is freshly prepared, it takes about 30 for your thin crust to be ready or 45 minute for your deep dish to be ready. You should order a light appetizer for your wait time. Salads are about $5 and the mozzarella sticks and stuffed mushrooms are $6. I was disappointed they didn't include some free bread sticks to chew on because of the long wait time. It is one of the suggestions I emailed to them.

If pizza is not your cup of tea there are salads, pastas and sandwiches to choose from. But why would you come to Chicago and not try a deep dish pizza. That is kind of like going to Philly and not trying a cheese steak.

When the pizza finally did come out, it looked huge. The small deep dish really does serve 1-2 people. It has a lot of cheese which I love but it had too much sauce that is sweet. I scraped that off and ate the rest. I finished my half of the pie, but my mother was struggling to finish the first slice of hers.

The service was good, our pizza arrived correctly. However, the table behind us ordered a spinach deep dish as well, but the waitress screwed up their order and gave them a plain. They knocked off a couple of dollars for them for the mistake. I don't think I would be too happy even with a discount after a 45 minute wait.

Overall the pizza was OK and the service was good. However, the original Pizzeria Uno which I had twice the last time I was in Chicago is my hands down favorite for deep dish pizza. I didn't eat there because I wanted to see what other deep dishes were out there.

• Study Abroad

• Giordano's: Deep Dish Pizza

by cameik1 Updated Nov 12, 2004

I mentioned my favorite thin pizza in another restaurant tip.

Now for deep dish. Chicago is known for this. I haven't tried, or even attempted to try deep dish outside of Chicago.

I am going to be careful with this one b/c I am not a true native Chicagoan. I also have not tried all of the pizzerias that supposedly specialize in this delicacy. From what I have tried-and I have tried many-I rank Giordano's as my favorite.

Giordano's is actually a chain, so there are many locations in Chicago and the 'burbs. I also saw one in Orlando, FL.

Favorite Dish: The secret to deep dish is that more toppings you order, the less cheese you get. There is a lot of cheese in a plain deep dish. So, if your cholesterol is as high as mine, load up on the veggies.

• Dundooni's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Stuffed Pizza ... It's the Stuff of Chicago!

by Dundooni Written Apr 26, 2005

Giordano's is synonymous with Chicago - lively environment, bustling crowds, great authentic Chicago style pizza. Once you get there with your party, you are most likely in for a 45 minute wait. Take advantage of the "Order Your Pizza Ahead" option. That way, your pizza will be baking while you wait. It will minimize the seated at table to eating pizza time significantly.

Favorite Dish: I love the classic favorite - deep dish stuffed with cheese and spinach. I also recommend a house salad and a cup of their soup of the day. No matter what is has been, it has always been delicious and fresh!

Mmmmm. Pizza.

• Giordano's: makes the best Chicago's famous deep dish pizza

by TRAVELCHICK29 Written Jun 11, 2004

Whenever I try to impress visitors to Chicago, I take them to Giordano's and order them a deep dish pizza. "Best pizza that i have ever had"is always the first thing that comes out of their mouth.

Favorite Dish: Fresh ingredients, and delicious pizza crust

inside Giordano's

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Giordano's: The place for Chicago deep dish pizza!

by meteorologist1 Written Jul 4, 2009

Giordano's is one of many places where you can try the famous Chicago deep dish pizza. Also called a stuffed pizza, the toppings (along with tons of cheese) are placed inside the pizza instead on top of the pizza. On the other hand, the tomato sauce is placed on top of the pizza. The pizza is best eaten with a fork and knife, and after a couple slices you will probably get very full. This is no ordinary pizza, and a trip to Chicago is not complete if you do not try the deep dish pizza.

Favorite Dish: There are personal sized deep dish pizzas as well as small, medium, and large sizes for more than one person. Note that these pizzas take 30-40 minutes to cook, so if you're in a hurry, please plan ahead.

Chicago deep dish pizza
    • Business Travel

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Not the Quickest Meal on the Planet

by BigBlueOne Written Aug 29, 2007

I went here for luch with some business colleagues and my wife as we were rushing to get through lunch and go to a meeting. The food was mediocre, the ambience was basic 'decent Italian motif', and the service was slow. However, it was reasonably priced!

Favorite Dish: I had the combination sandwich and it was okay.

• Business Travel

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Giordano's: Yummy pizza from Giordano's!! *mmmmm*

by sabogg01 Written Sep 19, 2007

We ordered the pizza for delivery, it was about $20 for 1 Medium Deep Dish Pizza. Not a bad price considering how big it actually was! It was enough for 3 people plus we had extra! I cannot compare it with the other pizza places in town because I did not try those places but I loved this pizza! Arrived Hot in under an hour! The delivery guy was very friendly. I would order from here again!

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Medium Deep Dish Pizza--Plain

• Singles

• Giordanos: The best!

by cranecafe Written Mar 23, 2008

Great food at a great value. The deep dish pizza is something else. However, if you order this give yourself plenty of time, as it takes at least 30 minutes for the pie to cook.

Favorite Dish: Deep dish pizza. Fresh ingredients, zesty sauce.

• Study Abroad

• klarson's Profile Photo

Giordanos Pizza: Chicago Pizza!

by klarson Updated Jun 14, 2003

Giordanos is probably one of the best places to get Chicago style deep dish and stuffed pizza. There's simply nothing like it anywhere else! I've gotten "Chicago Style" pizza in other places, but it never tastes as good as right here in Chicago.

The Giordanos in Evanston (and perhaps other ones in the area) have half-price pizza on Monday nights. A Greate Deal!

Favorite Dish: I like either pepporoni and mushroom or spinach stuffed pizza. Whatever's on it, it's gotta be *stuffed* (or at least deep dish). It is *so* much better than thin crust pizza!

Giordanos Stuffed Pizza

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Giordano's
3.5 out of 5 stars