Harry Caray's, Chicago

by Ewingjr98
  • Harry Caray's
    by Ewingjr98
  • spgood301's Profile Photo

Harry Caray's: Holy Cow!!!

by spgood301 Written Feb 15, 2006

Holy Cow:  It's Harry's!!!

Harry Caray's is a combination sports bar/restaurant, one of Chicago's most famous. It's got several TV's in the bar area, which is a little smaller than I expected. Get there early for a big game, or you may not find a seat. The restaurant is rather large, with a variety of fare: sandwiches, chops, etc.

This bar/restaurant is named after the late Harry Caray. He was a legendary broadcaster for both the Chicago White Sox and Cubs, much beloved by Chicago sports fans. Harry's signature phrase is "Holy Cow". It's considered a Harry original in Chicago...though we Noo Yawkahs associate it with our own Phil Rizzuto.

Harry's is a "must-visit" while in Chicago...especially for sports fans.

Favorite Dish: I've not eaten there yet, will let you know when I do.

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

Harry Caray's: Holy Cow!

by HotSpotJ Written Oct 29, 2006

Harry Carays

I grew up a huge Cubs fan, and for years would watch Harray Caray broadcast Cubs games with his wry sense of humor and unique way of calling plays. He was taken from us all to early in 1998, but left his great restaurant as part of his Chicago legacy. So, with that said, walking in this place for the first time, I felt like a little kid going to the fair.

I sat at the bar and had what was argueably the best filet in my life- it was cooked perfectly and served with a bowl of pasta that I could not touch (the steak was that good!) I then proceed to watch Monday night football with the friendliest corwd I've ever met, sipping on Crown, checking out all the decorations around the restaurant... its a must do for any person that wants to experience a little bit of what Chicago's about.

Favorite Dish: The filet- priced at $34, was worth every penny.

• Business Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Harry Caray's Seventh Inning Stretch - Holy Cow!

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 25, 2010

Harry Caray's Seventh Inning Stretch opened in 2001 and is billed as "the only full service restaurant and bar at Chicago's Midway Airport."

We wandered in while awaiting our flight between Pittsburgh and Tampa. We only had an hour, or so we thought... it ended up being more like three hours! We had the turkey club sandwich with cow chips or Holy Cow! Chips ($10), I'm not sure which, and the turkey burger with pasta salad ($11).

The service was mediocre, but the food was good. They also had sports on all the TVs, at least until they decided to show soccer on the one over the bar.

Harry Caray's has a handful of other restaurants in the Chicago area including three Italian restaurants, a seafood place called Holy Mackerel, and a tavern near the ball park.

• Harry Caray's: Harry Caray's

by grkboiler Written Jun 13, 2004

Harry Caray's is one of the most popular restaurants in Chicago and is named for legendary Chicago baseball announcer Harry Caray. The interior is filled with hundreds of photos of celebrities, Harry Caray memorabilia, and historical baseball memorabilia.

The food served here is steak and Italian. The price range is from the $10's to the $30's per meal. Service is great. Each server is personable and enthusiastic.

There is also a bar on one side of the restaurant with plenty of TVs. Dress is casual. Reservations aren't necessary but recommended. Valet parking is available and there is also street and garage parking nearby.

Hours are as follows:
    Lunch
    Mon-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm
    Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm (Bar only)

Dinner
    Mon-Thurs 5:00pm-10:30pm
    Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm
    Sun - 4:00pm-10:00pm

Bar
    Mon-Sat 11:30am-1:00am
    Sun 12:00pm-12:00am

Favorite Dish: For starters, the Caesar Salad is good. The Asparagus is great.

For dinner, once they bring the tray of steaks around, I don't think you can pass them up. They are excellent. Try the ribeye or the bone-in filet. All dishes come with the daily pasta.

If you don't want beef, the chicken dishes are good, and there is a selection of pastas.

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo

Harry Caray's: Iconic Italian Steakhouse

by Ujamaflip Written Aug 25, 2008

Harry Caray's is an iconic Italian Steakhouse in downtown Chicago, named after the baseball commentator Harry Caray.

The building hosts a sports bar and a quite large restaurant. The restaurant has a nice ambience with a sports theme.

The waiters are all friendly and helpful. We ordered their signature aged prime rib steaks, but didn't realize vegetables had to be ordered seperately. I don't know why our waiter failed to mention this...

Nevertheless, the steaks were superb, perhaps the best steak I've ever eaten. The broccoli and mashed potatoes we ordered later were also good.

The dishes are relatively expensive, but not small and worth the price.

Favorite Dish: Aged Prime Rib Steak, this was cooked to perfection (I had it medium-rare), tasted like paradise and melted in the mouth.

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Harry Caray's: Harry Caray's

by Skibbe Updated Jan 26, 2004

Good food, good service, and large portions. They have a great collection of baseball memorabilia and the sign outside grabs your attention, although I don't remember the famous broadcaster drinking a lot of Pepsi:).

Favorite Dish: The steak sandwich was the best I'd ever had.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Harry Carey's: Great place !!!

by jlanza29 Written Feb 9, 2010
    A must do photo with Harry

Harry Carey's is a must do for anyone visiting Chicago.... with several locations around town and in the suburbs, the food and service here are excellent. We tend to go to the Harry Carey's in Rosemount, near the airport .... The prices are standard for steakhouse, but they have great Italian food, so look over the menu...you won't go wrong with this place... Highly recommended !!!! Oh and if visiting the orginal resturant you must take a photo with Harry.... just like all the famous people have done in the past !!!!

• Two visits to Harry Caray's...

by selbyone Written Aug 26, 2002

Two visits to Harry Caray's restaurant. Late lunch time on a Saturday and early evening on a Sunday. I expect you'd have to reserve a table during the busy periods.
    In Chicago so we resolved to have at least one steak. In the end we had two. Staff very attentive. Constant supplies of iced water [well it's a novelty to me]. Restaurant has a baseball cum sports commentator theme which didn't mean a great deal to us but I'm sure Americans appreciate it. As for the price it costs what it costs. I paid about US$ 33 for my Porterhouse [well I was on holiday!].

Favorite Dish: Filet mignon [choice of three sizes]. Second visit Porterhouse steak. Recommend the garlic mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli or spinach with garlic.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Harry Carey's: Harry Carey's

by Jmill42 Updated Nov 1, 2002

Harry's!

Relatively cheap, great atmosphere, and the namesake restaurant for one of Chicago's most well-known, but deceased people.

Favorite Dish: Fetticcinni Alfredo. The servings are MONSTROUS!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Harry Caray's: 7th Inning Stretch Steak

by ATXtraveler Written Jul 30, 2007

This is just a placeholder while I upload all my photos and then organize my tips. Please do not rate this one at this time.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Harry Caray's
4.0 out of 5 stars