Lao Sze Chuan, Chicago

by riorich55
    Marie at Lao's
    by Marisola
  • Marisola's Profile Photo

Lao Sze Chuan: Best Chinese in Chinatown!!!

by Marisola Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dining at Lao Sze Chuan

Lao Sze Chuan is my favorite Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, and one of Tony Hu's famous Chinese restaurants. Tony Hu is a graduate of the Sze Chuan Culinary Institute in China, so no wonder his restaurant has the Best Sze Chuan cuisine! It has won many awards, and I can see why! The food is delicious!

Favorite Dish: The menu is very long, and there are many delicious items to choose from! My favorite is the beef hot pot. Sze Chuan cuisine is known to be flavorful and spicy, and I LOVE it!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Lao Sze Chuan: Chinatown-Szechaun cuisine

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

Last visit July, 2010 with VTers Dswede and riorich55

Inspired by Chinese New Year, we headed down to Chinatown to try the another of Tony Hu's restaurants, Lao Sze Chuan, which is the 1st one that he owned in Chinatown and often receives rave reviews from folks looking for authentic Chinese food.

The other thing this restaurant seems to be known for is it's rude and inattentive wait staff but I find that service in almost all Chinatown establishments is curt and it's not something I really get overly concerned with. They delivered the food to my table, it was the right food and it was the right temperature. Life is good. At lunchtime on a Saturday, the downstairs was almost totally full so we went upstairs where there were lots of empty tables.

Favorite Dish: The menu is huge and starts off with house specials which is the section we ordered from. We ordered crispy shrimp in mayonnaise sauce which was tender and delicious. We also ordered Mongolian beef which was mixed with mushrooms, green onions and onions which was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Our bill was $32, a little high for Chinatown. And an annoying additional charge for rice which we did not order.

There's also a "Very Chinese Special" menu which may appeal to people looking for more authentic Chinese cuisine, pig ears, pork stomach, fish heads. Tony's three chili chicken is one of the things people rave over but we haven't tried it yet.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Lao Sze Chuan: Crunchy Fried Shrimp in Mayo Sauce!!!

by riorich55 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Inside View of Restaurant

Although the service left a little to be desired, we enjoyed the food. The meal started off with the hot tea and a complimentary small plate of spicy cabbage (shown in one of the pictures). It was spicy and we both drank a full glass of ice water the calm the heat from the sauce, but it was good and we didn't have heartburn afterwards so that was good. This is a Szechuan restaurant but there are over 200 different entries on the menu.

Our two main dishes were the Mongolian Beef Tenderloin which was cooked just right and the other was the Crispy Fried Shrimp in Mayonaise Sauce (see below).

We went on a Saturday night around 6:00 p.m. and waited for about 15 minutes. The restaurant has 2 sections an upstairs and a downstairs. To get to the upstairs portion you walk back outside and up the stairs and give the person seating people your number that you received from downstairs. On this cold February night we were really glad to go to a warmer upstairs which was roomier then the downstairs section. Picture is from the downstairs section. Also since I didn't want to be too obtrusive with my camera these are pictures from the restaurants website.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Crispy Fried Shrimp in Mayonaise Sauce. Now before you say YUCK, it was very tasty and really you just were able to taste the creamy part of the mayonaise and not so much the egg part. It also had a tinge of orange taste to it and was served with a slice of orange.

• Business Travel