Laschet's Inn, Chicago

5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

2119 W Irving Park Road 773-478-7915

Lashcet
    by Dabs
    Does Ken only have eyes for Dave? (2006)
    Laschet
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Laschet's: North Center-Small Austrian restaurant

by Dabs Updated Nov 17, 2011

Does Ken only have eyes for Dave? (2006)

Last visit November 2011

Laschet's is a small German restaurant on the northside, on our most recent visit in November 2011 on a Thursday evening was our 4th time here, the restaurant was pretty busy for a Thursday night. It doesn't have the year round Oktoberfest atmosphere of the Chicago Brauhaus, this is more like a neighborhood family run establishment, decorated like a German beerhall that's not designed for tourists. Dlandt, who first recommended this place to me, tells me that the food is all homemade. The ownership has changed from the 1st time we visited and the dining room has expanded but the food is still terrific.

Our servers on all of our visits have been quite pleasant and service prompt. At the end of the meal they gave us a complimentary shot of schnapps

Favorite Dish: Laschet's is the best German restaurant we've tried in Chicago, better than the better known Chicago Brauhaus over in Lincoln Square, better than Mirabell's, much better than Resi's on the next block. And I haven't been to Berghoff's since their big "we're closing" hooplah and subsequent reopening, I'll let the tourists keep that one afloat.

David usually gets the sauerbraten and says it is excellent, the meat very tender and a good flavor. It comes with a side of cabbage and spatzel. This time he got the special smoked pork butt, served with creamed cabbage, roasted potatoes and sauerkraut. Delicious!

I've had the wiener schnitzel, chicken schnitzel and roast pork loin, I enjoyed both of the schnitzel dishes but I probably wouldn't get the pork loin again. This time I had the chicken schnitzel with spatzel substituting for the red cabbage. The portion sizes are hearty, certainly you'll never go away hungry. The meal starts off with rye bread and a choice of soup or salad, I didn't have any room for dessert.

• Martman's Profile Photo

Laschet's Inn: Enjoyable German Experience

by Martman Updated Oct 14, 2006

My friendly host; Dave; VT username Dlandt

Dave (VT username dlandt) introduced me to this interesting experience. Granted we only had starters. We each had steak tartar. I am not an expert, but believe this is a form of chopped raw steak. Whatever it is exactly, It was an experience for me that I enjoyed. Also, it was my first time in a German restaurant, which was also fun for me. I have no doubt that there must be German restaurants in Torono where I live, I am simply unaware of them. That is what made this so interesting for me! If and when I visit Chicago again, I would be more than happy to try this place too! Dave also did me the favour of letting me enjoy Chicago away from the downtown area, though we did not go too far!

Favorite Dish: I only had one dish, so that must be my favorite!

• shekaago's Profile Photo

Laschet's: Great German/Austrian Food

by shekaago Written Jan 7, 2004

Dave, Miyuki, Ann, Me and Mike

This is a great out-of-the-way neighborhood place. You walk through the front door and enter a rustic bar with a few tables in the back. The food out of the kitchen is fresh and tasty. Wonderful schnitzel... and yes my friend Dave.... the hakepeter is out of this world. Still no sign of Mad Cow Disease : -)
    The beer selection isn't bad either!

Favorite Dish: My husband loved the chicken... yes chicken schnitzel. I loved the hakepeter!

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Laschet's: Laschet's for Austro-German

by dlandt Updated Dec 30, 2003

This cozy little treasure serves up homemade, handmade dishes characteristic of Austria, like sauerbraten, ghoulash, and rouladen. The food is hearty and tasty, but very affordable, most dishes are between ten and twelve dollars. The beer steisn hanging from the ceiling and overall decor are reminiscent of the Alps, but this is not a large or fancy restaurant, its something of a neighborhood place, with a full bar and about a dozen tables. The beer selection is excellent, and served by the liter.

Favorite Dish: Hackepeter for those who have the heart for it, the schnitzels look great, sauerbraten is superb, and the serve the best warm bread you could hope for. The beer selection alone is worth the trip, with most Austrian beers and many others readily available. To me, the best feature here is that the food is homemade, from scratch.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Laschet's Inn
4.0 out of 5 stars