Leona's, Chicago

Leona's: 55 Years in Chicago

by deecat Updated Mar 9, 2007

Leona's in Roger's Park, Chicago

Photographs:

1. Outside view of Leona's.
    2. Our mushroom, onion, pepperoni thin-crust pizza.
    3. Inside Leona's.
    4. Another room inside Leona's.
    5. Beautiful stained glass lights in Leona's.

On a cold March afternoon in 2007, my husband Allan and I were perusing the Roger's Park East area of Chicago checking our areas for our daughter Jill's family.
    We were starving after walking for a few hours, so we decided to have a salad and pizza at Leona's Restaurant in East Roger's Park.

It was a good choice for us. We like pizza, usually deep dish; however, we also enjoy thin pizza. Since we had never tried the thin pizza at Leona's, we ordered it this day. In addition, we each ordered a small salad [which was not so small].

Our waitress was quite friendly. She was also quite efficient.

Leona's has been in the Chicago area for over 55 years. It advertises itself as an "Old School Italian! Abundant American. [Closet Vegetarian]."

It has such an unique menu with plenty of appetizers, losts of different pastas, a multitude of sandwiches, Dinner Feasts, lots of salads, and "world class pizza"! Leona's also delivers [a big portion of their business].

They have 14 different locations in the Chicago area:
    Lakeview, Rogers Park, Wicker Park, River North, Old Irving, Des Plaines, Taylor Street, Oak Park, Hyde Park, Beverly, Oak Lawn, Pill Hill, Calumet City, and Homewood..

Favorite Dish: One of my reasons for ordering the thin versus the deep dish was so that I could have room for Leona's dessert choices. On this day, I decided to share a one-dip sundae..boy, was it huge. I choice the "nutty chocolate". They are famous for their 3-dip sundaes which are really gigantic. We observed a young couple sharing this monstosity...I don't know how they were able to finish it since they had just finished a huge lunch!

Both Allan and I enjoyed our salads, our shared pizza with mushrooms, onions, and pepperoni. But, we really loved sharing our one-dip nutty chocolate sundae.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Leona's: Multiple locations for Italian

by Dabs Written Oct 25, 2004

Although certainly not the best Italian in the city, Leona's serves up good solid Italian that appeals to adults and children. In fact it's the favorite restaurant of both my niece who is 11 and her father.

There are multiple locations, I have eaten at the one at 3215 N. Sheffield (convenient location for Blue Man Group), the one in Calumet City (suburbs) and the one in Beverly at 111th and Western and the quality is pretty uniform at all locations.

Favorite Dish: You will certainly not go home hungry after eating here, I usually order the lasagna which comes with soup or salad (the creamy garlic dressing is terrific) or the chicken parm which comes with soup or salad and also two sides, choices include onion rings, calamari, lasagna and many other tempting offerings.

I don't think the pizza here is very good so take a pass on that.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Leona's: A Potpourri of Italian Food!

by rmdw Written Oct 23, 2004

Dining out at Leona's

Leona's is a very successful chain of 15+ Italian restaurants spread throughout the Chicagoland area.

It's a family run operation that has been in business since 1950.

They offer a wide selection of Italian food, including pizza, pasta, and many other items. Price-wise it's a bit more expensive than your average "pizza joint", but it offers excellent ambience, especially for families.

You can eat in or have food delivered.

• Wine Tasting

• Leona's: Leona's is so awesome! The best italian food ever!

by disneyteach Written Oct 28, 2007

Leona's is one awesome restuarant. I beg my wife every time we go to Chicago to stop by Leona's. I save up my carbs just to eat at Leona's. Not only do they have great italian food, but there prices are reasonable. try the restuarant on Sheffield. It is outstanding. I am a big guy, so trust me I know good food. Enjoy! By the way, they have a cool menu to read about the people who run the place.

Favorite Dish: Fettuccini Alfredo, Romano crusted chicken with mushroom and the kick ass garlic bread. (I swear that is what is is called)

• SilverVelvet's Profile Photo

Leona's: Leona's

by SilverVelvet Written Aug 25, 2002

Chicago is the home of deep dish pizza and one great place to eat a signature pie is at Leona's. They'll not only bake a thick, gooey pie, but serve it with a healthy dose of local hospitality too. Prices are moderate and the atmosphere feels like a family gathering spot. Start the meal with a cheese stick or too, but be warned that even one cheese stick is about the size of Ireland.

Favorite Dish: Deep dish pizza and cheese sticks

• Leona's: Leona's

by BROOKS Written Aug 24, 2002

This restaurant plays great music and is very modern. The crowd is very diverse and the ambience is impeccable to my taste. It generally serves Italian food but has a few other items.

Favorite Dish: Dual lasagna-1/2 dish 5 cheese and 1/2 meat $11.95
    It comes with an unbelievable salad called 'Psychadelic Salad' that has just about every vegetable and leafed plant that's edible!

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Leona's
3.5 out of 5 stars