MK Restaurant, Chicago

by shrimp56
    The lounge area.
    by Etoile2B
  • Herkbert's Profile Photo

MK: Awesome menu, great wine list

by Herkbert Updated Apr 4, 2011

Restaurant entrance

We had considered a couple of other high end restaurants, but were told we should try MK instead. So we did and we were so glad that we did. Chef Michael Kornick's menu had many great choices - each sounding better than the last. It was very difficult to make a choice.

The restaurant itself is very comfortable. The decor is tasteful and not overdone. This is a restaurant that is all about the food, not impressing you with fancy decorations and lighting.

The wine list had choices in all price ranges to compliment your meal choice. Wine lovers will find some nice wines like Peter Michael, Merry Edwards and Ramey.

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Dish: We both had great meals at MK, so we had two favorites.

My wife had the roast rabbit, which she thought was done perfectly. Very tasty and moist. I had the roast duck, which I also thought was delicious. We then shared an order of pommes frites with a truffle dipping sauce.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

MK: A place to celebrate!

Happy Anniversary!!!

We chose MK for our anniversary celebration and it was superb! Here we are with our dessert. I included this picture so you could see our balcony table!
    The dessert was the candy bar -- a milk chocolate and caramel mousse bombe with a salted cashew caramel center, coffee cream :))))

MK: Bistro comfort in River North

yuuuuuuummmmm

We finally put our finger on it -- MK is very much like a French bistro -- excellent raw ingredients, classically prepared with a contemporary twist. The service is professional, but far from snooty. All in all an excellent experience

Favorite Dish: On the top is my salmon -- described on the menu as "grilled over hardwood charcoal with chinese mustard glaze, bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and a ginger soy vinaigrette"
    My soup was lobster bisque -- the broth was poured around the small pile of lobster in the center. Complex and delicious: "scented with cognac, leeks, carrots, parsley and tarragon"

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

MK: This Used to Be My Favorite

by Etoile2B Updated Oct 4, 2002

The lounge area.

MK used to be my favorite restaurant in Chicago, hands down. Unfortunately the last time we ate here we were disappointed. I would still recommend MK to people, because we have had great dining experiences here. I am trying not to let one bad one ruin it. We are planning to give it another try next week - so hopefully it will regain the top spot in my mind. But it's difficult, when you're spending so much money on one meal, to look past a bad experience. When it's good, it's extremely good. The service is great. It has a wonderful wine list and the food is delicious. But the last time we dined there (in April of 2002) the waiter was incredibly rude and unattentive. Before we were seated we waited for a half hour before the cocktail waitress even noticed us. And the loungs wasn't busy. The fish was old and one of the appetizers didn't arrive until after the entrees had been served. This is unacceptable at a restaurant of this caliber. I hope that they have their act together again. I'll update this after our meal.

Favorite Dish: When it's good, it's very, very good! Try the tuna. And you MUST try the pomme frites! It's a definite must when you visit MK.

• MK - not my favorite, but I...

by kristink Written Aug 24, 2002

MK - not my favorite, but I feel compelled to write a review. Our first and last visit - July 22, 2000.
    This place is listed as new and 'hip' in many locations. Frankly, I was not impressed. Michael Kornick, a chef and restauranteur big in the Chicago restaurant scene, is the owner (or part owner?) and our waiter dropped his name too many times during the course of our evening. It became annoying. I expected this place to be young and hip and really it was a little too conservative on the decor. The food (we tried the Tuna, Whitefish and Lobster and Bass entres and fois gras appetiser) was unimpressive. Skip this place.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

MK: One of Chicago's best!

by shrimp56 Written Jun 18, 2004

MK is named after the chef, Michael Kornick. We chose it for an anniversary celebration because we could get extra dining points on opentable.com. We were not sorry!!!

Favorite Dish: See next tip.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near MK Restaurant
3.5 out of 5 stars