Morton's Steakhouse, Chicago

rasberries
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Morton's Steakhouse: NMA/Loop-Expensive steakhouse

by Dabs Updated Aug 12, 2012

last visit August 2012 to the Northbrook location. Check their website or sign up for email, they have special deals that they do not have on their menu

I've lived in and around Chicago almost my whole life and I had never been to Morton's steakhouse, one of the steakhouses always mentioned when people ask where to go for a steak in Chicago. The first Morton's was opened in 1978 in Chicago on State and Rush in the Gold Coast neighborhood by Arnie Morton, he went on to open 8 more locations before selling in the late 1980s after which many more locations were opened in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, Hong Kong and Singapore, a total of 79 restaurants.

So we decided to try it before going to the theater last Tuesday night and went to Chicago's 2nd location at 65 E. Wacker which is closer to the theater district.

Morton's is what I'd call an "expense account" meal or "impress my date" meal , the prices are enough to make you gasp, steaks range from the mid $20 for a petite cut up to $80+ for a Porterhouse for two, most steaks in the $35-$45 range. And that's just the steak! Salads and sides are extra.

We advised our waitress that we had theater tickets so our service was very prompt, our entrees arrived right after our appetizer was finished and dessert just a few mintues after our entrees. They bring out a tray with all the cuts of meat plus a huge live lobster, service here is top notch.

Most of the diners are in business attire but there's no dress code, I saw at least one person in jeans. Reservations are highly recommended, you can get them online at Open Table.

Favorite Dish: We started off with a crabcake appetizer ($12), a little on the small side for the price but very good and mostly lump crab. I got a double filet mignon since it was only a few dollars more than the single ($39) and it was a very good cut of meat and a large portion. David got a New York Strip ($42) and wasn't overly impressed so I gave him part of my filet. Several of the desserts should be ordered in advance, I got the Chocolate lava cake ($10) which was very good and David got an upside down apple pie ($8.50) that was unremarkable. With a couple of cocktails, our whole tab was $170 including tip. I was pleased with my meal and I'm glad we finally tried it but it's a little on the pricey side.

Our 2nd visit we went to the same location and tried the $99 dinner for 2 special that they run periodically on their website. We spent about the same amount of money once you added in a cocktail ($13 each!), tax and tip but we got a lot more food, caesar salad for both of us, crabcakes for me, scallops wrapped in bacon for David, macaroni and cheese, sauteed mushrooms, a single cut filet for both of us and choice of key lime pie or chocolate lava cake. The food was all excellent and the service once again was very good.

On our 3rd visit to the Northbrook location for my birthday in August 2012, I happened to remember a $45 special for a petite filet 6 oz, a salad, a side and a dessert, a good deal since the steak alone was $39. Be sure to mention if its a special occasion, they brought out a birthday dessert for me and took a photo of our table.

Filet Mignon at Morton's NY Strip at Mortons Dessert at Mortons

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Morton's The Steakhouse: The Steakhouse Founded in Chicago

by machomikemd Updated Nov 4, 2010

it is one of two locations in the downtown chicago area of Morton's the Steakhouse which was founded in Chicago by Arnie Morton and he sold it in the 1980's. I have to try this at their founding place since i'm one of the fans of Morton's the Steakhouse and dined in some of them. the founding location is at 1050 N. State St. Chicago, IL 60610 but is hard to find so I went to the second location at Wacker Place. I love Morton's since it has a classic menu that features the freshest cuts of Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, New York Strip and other steaks. Those with lighter appetites may enjoy Morton's fine selection of smaller cuts of Filet Mignon and Ribeye or fresh seafood such as: sesame-encrusted Yellowfin Tuna, broiled salmon filet, and lobster from Australia and Maine.

So "here's the beef" ready for you to choose; incredibly tender 14-ounce filet, flavorful 24 or 48-ounce Porterhouse (my favorite), 20-ounce New York sirloin strip, or 16-ounce rib eye. The 3-inch steaks are slapped under a 1500 degree grill for searing on each side. To prevent over charring of the 48-ounce porterhouse after both sides are seared it's removed from the grill and finished in a 500 degree oven where it is carefully roasted to the correct internal temperature. The superthick filet can be butterfly cut before grilling to achieve higher internal temperatures without too much charring. There are no gimmicks such as sizzling platters, added fat, butter, or sauces - just tender, juicy, flavorful steak properly prepared, briefly set in its own juices, and then swiftly delivered to your table.

Favorite Dish: Morton's carries a filet, strip, porterhouse, and double porterhouse (can be carved for two if you wish). They also have brochets, lamb, and chicken. Two fish dishes, 3 lb Main Lobsters also available. Sides are a la carte, and they have a decent range of them. Morton's offers a number of souflees and a molton chocolate cake, both of which need to be ordered up front.

Although seafood appetizers and veggie sides are available, the reason to come is the steak. Huge portions of USDA Prime aged beefsteaks, usually priced at $30 for a platter, are what you find on the menu. If you are looking for Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, New York or any other cut to sink your teeth into, you'll find it here. appetizers such as shrimp cocktail, oysters, fresh lump crabmeat cocktail, saut‚ed mushrooms, home made soups, and chilled crisp salads. Entrees average $30, side dishes $6, and appetizers range from $ 10to 15. My all time favorite is the 48 ounce porterhouse steak medium rare at $ 109 and the onion rings at $ 12 and for dessert rasperries and cream at $ 10 with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon at $ 20.

Hours of Operation

Dining Room
    Monday - Friday 11:30am - 11pm
    Saturday 5pm - 11pm
    Sunday 5pm - 10pm

Public Transit: Nearest El stop: Brown/Purple/Green/Orange/Pink Lines - State/Lake or Randolf/Wabash Red Line - State/Lake Blue Line - Clark/Lake
    Parking: Valet
    Parking Details: Valet Parking available after 4:30pm for $12. Parking garages available both next door ("Park 1") and 1 block south at 60 E. Lake Street. Hotel parking & private lots also available in the area.

the medium rare 48 ounce USDA Prime Porterhouse USDA Prime 48 ounce porterhouse steak onion rings souvenir rasberries
    • Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• deecat's Profile Photo

Morton's The Steakhouse: Not just a Steakhouse

by deecat Written Sep 1, 2008

On Friday, August 29, 2008, Allan and we walking down East Wacker Place, and we spotted Morton's The Steakhouse so we went up to the window to peruse the menu. We were looking for a place for our dinner a few hours from then. We noted the dessert menu, and both of us were quite impressed. We went inside and asked the hostess if she could describe some of these desserts and give us her opinion. Without hesitation, she said that her favorite was called Hot Chocolate Cake. She wrote down the other desserts which included Souffles, Hot Apple Pie, Key Lime Pie, Cheesecake, Cream Bruet, Chocolate Mousse, and Carrot Cake. Her second favorite was the Key Lime Pie.

She told us that it takes half an hour to fix the Hot Chocolate Cake because they bake it fresh with liquid dark chocolate inside. They put ice cream on the side. We decided to order that and continue walking around, returning in half an hour.

Favorite Dish: We were back to Morton's The Steakhouse exactly half an hour later, and they were ready for us. They were aware that it was our 45th wedding anniversary; thus, we received special care. We were seated in a curved black leather booth, a candle was lit [right in the middle of the afternoon], and the dessert was presented with flair. We also ordered coffee. It was a small cake [and after we tasted it, we knew why] that was extremely rich and just perfect for the two of us to share. Fresh raspberries were scattered on it. YUM! A dip of ice cream was along side of it. We were so excited about tasting it that I forgot to take a picture. We simultaneously cut into the cake, tasted it, and were in "heaven".

Then I remembered to take a picture, which does not look so great. But, as the deep, dark chocolate oozed out, it was like eating the best hot fudge sundae ever. The hot coffee and delicious cake was just perfect, and we talked about it for the next two days.

Morton's The Steakhouse Hot Chocolate Cake at Morton's

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Morton's Steakhouse
5.0 out of 5 stars