N9NE, Chicago

by TRimer
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

N9NE: Loop-Steakhouse

by Dabs Updated Apr 4, 2011

On my first visit here, I was a little disappointed in the portion size compared to the price but thought that the food was very good. On my second visit, I was pleasantly surprised to find the prices seemed a bit more reasonable and there were several sandwich options that were very affordable.

The interior of this restaurant screams trendy New York to me.

Favorite Dish: On my first visit I tried the Ahi tuna, the tuna was very tasty but I thought that the portion size was rather small for the price and even needed to order dessert because I wasn't full which usually doesn't happen at lunch.

I had a much more satisfying experience on my second visit as I ordered the hangar steak which was more than enough food, even enough for leftovers. It was very good and came with an order of garlic seasoned french fries.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

N9NE: Cross Between a Martini Bar and Steakhouse

by TRimer Written May 1, 2005
    Ghost Bar at N9ne

The restaurant itself is a dining event. It is modern, hip - still a cool place to hang out despite being open for over 5 years.

Located in the Daniel Burnham-designed building now known as Randolph Place, Nine combines the best elements of a classic steakhouse, featuring prime aged steaks, with a contemporary American flair in both menu and design. A 20' waterfall greets guests on arrival. The dynamic first floor encompasses a lounge bar with luxurious, custom-designed furniture, as well as the main dining area, whose banquettes and tables form an arena that faces inward toward the room's central Champagne and Caviar Bar.

The restaurant's name derives from the personal and professional loyalty between owners Morton and DeGraff, best friends since the age of nine.

Favorite Dish: I have been here several times and I always wonder why we don't eat here more. I guess I figure that a "hip" place cannot have great food. Guess I was wrong- the food is wonderful.

Here are some of my favorite dishes:

Beef Carpaccio: aged balsamic, herb crostini
    Apple Salad: heirloom apple salad, roquefort cheese, applewood smoked bacon, endive, radicchio, champagne vinagretter
    Fire Chicken: naturally raised and roasted crisp, chilies, lemon, garlic
    12 oz. Filet Mignon, bernaise

Lunch: 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Monday-Friday; Dinner: 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 5:00 p.m.-midnight, Friday and Saturday.

• Luxury Travel
    • Singles

• enofile's Profile Photo

N9NE.: STILL HIP AND TRENDY-TASTY TOO

by enofile Written Jan 29, 2005

The team from the Palms Hotel of Las Vegas and MTV fame opened this destination restaurant even before their adventure in Nevada. While I often find trendoid dining establishments pretentious and shallow, NINE was fun and had some very good steaks reverberating with their Morton's legacy. It is still a scene, so don your black jeans and your Revo glasses and after dinner head upstairs to the tantillating Ghost Bar.

Favorite Dish: The seafood cocktail appetizer and a Morton's New York Strip.

• mayasmin's Profile Photo

Nine: "I want to impress you" restaurant

by mayasmin Written Nov 22, 2002

Need to impress somebody...go to Nine. It's not cheap but it's not that expensive either. The ambience is very modern and the stalls in its restroom even have their own television. After finishing up your meal, you could go to the bar upstairs. The bar's quite selective on who ccould go inside but if you just finished a dinner in the restaurant they're very likely to let you in.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near N9NE
4.0 out of 5 stars