NoMI, Chicago

800 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (312) 239-4030

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo

NoMi.: First Class Breakfast

by Ujamaflip Written Dec 23, 2008

We went to NoMi for a special breakfast during our visit in December after reading the rave reviews in Zagat. We weren't disappointed, the service was outstanding, the food delicious and extravagant, and the location was wonderful.

NoMi is a restaurant located in the 7th floor of the Park Hyatt hotel, which is one of the tall buildings surrounding the Water Tower. NoMi. is the part of the hotel which has a pronounced window overlooking the Water Tower and parts of Michigan Avenue, the view is splendid. NoMi serves awar winning lunches and dinners, but we only stopped by for breakfast.

For breakfast Victoria had the buffet, which had a nice selection of fruits, pastries and the like. I however opted for the NoMi Eggs Benedict, which consisted of English muffins, spinach, eggs, holandaise sauce, potatoes and lobster tails! Lobster for breakfast! It was all delicious, and a great experience.

Naturally this was not the cheapest breakfast we could have had, but the price was not exceptionally high.

Favorite Dish: NoMi Eggs Benedict

• Dabs's Profile Photo

NoMi: NMA-One of the best dining views in Chicago

by Dabs Updated Nov 7, 2007

Dessert selection

I had heard such good things about NoMi that when Mary (Beatchick) asked me if I wanted to join her for brunch for her birthday, I said sure! We met up with Katherine (Callavetta) shortly after they opened on Sunday for brunch, it was not very busy and we pretty much stayed for the entire time brunch was served.

Located in the upscale Park Hyatt Hotel, this is one of the best dining views in Chicago. If you get one of the coveted window seats, you have a fabulous view of the Water Tower, North Michigan Avenue (NoMi is short for North Michigan) and even a glimpse of Lake Michigan.

Favorite Dish: I thought the highlights of the buffet were the sushi bar with Jonah crab claws, jumbo shrimp, sushi and smoked salmon to name a few items and the dessert buffet with a wide assortment of delectable desserts and a chocolate fountain. Where it seemed to falter was in the middle part of the meal, you order an item off the menu as your main course, the selection was uninspired and Mary had to send her pork loin back because she found a hair in it, when the dish was replaced she didn't seem to be thrilled with it. I ordered an egg white omelet because nothing else caught my eye. Similarly the breakfast buffet was equally uninspired.

Granted, this was better than your standard brunch buffet, however, the price tag is rather steep at $55 per person. I wouldn't have minded paying that if I had been wowed...

NoMI: Desserts & Décor - Park Hyatt Chicago

by BeatChick Updated Sep 25, 2007

Macarons, Madeleines & Mousse

As if the main dishes and regular brunch aren't enough there are, of course, desserts! I recall a chocolate fountain, an ultra-rich chocolate bombé, pistachio & chocolate mousses, an assortment of French macarons (pistachio, raspberry, chocolate, vanilla and coffee to name a few), as well as those pastries Proust loved - madeleines!

Let me mention the décor - contemporary, clean lines with fantastic modern glass sculpture on the ceiling. The latter was huge and heavy & I feared they would drop on me!

Favorite Dish: Macarons (my favorite, y'know)

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

NoMI: Great Views from the 7th FL of the Hyatt!

by BeatChick Updated Sep 25, 2007

Chicago Water Tower-yep the one saved in the fire!

Dined at NoMI for Sunday Brunch with Callavetta (Katherine) and Dabs (Kristi) which lasted 4 hours! We were the first to arrive and 2nd to the last to leave. We feasted on a fantastic brunch with an incredible view down E. Chicago Ave to Lake Michigan beyond, replete with sailboats. Apparently, although the weather was a bit chilly for the season (low 70s) the water is much warmer so there were a lot of people out on the beach and on the lake.

NoMI stands for North Michigan Avenue and is located on the Magnificent Mile. Situated on the 7th floor of the Park Hyatt Chicago, you walk through the doors, tell the doorman you're here for brunch, he escorts you to the "secret" elevator that whisk you in an instant to the 7th floor. You're greeted at the top where you may dine al fresco on the terrace or in another room that affords incredible views down the avenue to Lake Michigan.

Favorite Dish: Sunday Brunch (and I'll have another one of those views, please)!

NoMI: Great Brunch at the Park Hyatt Chicago

by BeatChick Updated Sep 23, 2007

Eggs Benedict

This $55 Sunday Brunch consists of everything imaginable from Jonah Crab Claws, sushi, smoked salmon, bacon, sausage (including andouille), pancakes, waffles, fruit salad, bread pudding, croissants, assorted French cheese from mild to stinky, steamed asparagus, a variety of juices (orange, grapefruit, tomato - I tried the first two) and excellent unlimited coffee!

Included in the price is a main course: Katherine chose eggs benedict, Kristi chose an egg whites omelette with roma tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella while I chose the pork loin served with a potato patty, lima beans, baby carrots and salsa. Mine was pretty good but I wasn't overwhelmed and Kristi & Katherine enjoyed their choices.

Favorite Dish: Jonah Crab Claws
    French Cheese
    Asparagus
    Coffee

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

NoMI: Sunday Brunch with a First Class View

by Callavetta Written Sep 19, 2007

NoMI at the Park Hyatt

NoMI is a beautiful restaurant on the 7th floor of the Park Hyatt Hotel. While everything, the furnishings, the service, the food, the ambiance, is first class, none of this can top the view. This is where I sat for 4 hours and enjoyed the company and conversation of two of VT's finest.

The restaurant hangs off the side of the building and looks out over the Watertower and pump house buildings (the only two buildings left after the Chicago fire), and the big open Lake beyond. On this particular day, the Lake competed with the sky to see which could boast the bluest blue. Sail boats were out and crowds milled about on the streets below us.

Sunday brunch includes both brought to your table ala carte items and choices from the several different buffet tables. If you don't want to get your own, the server will be more than happy to gather your items from the buffet.

$55.00 per person is a pretty steep price for brunch. I saw on the menu that mimosas were a hefty $17 per! But in the end, to spend 4 unpressured hours sitting with kindred spirits chatting about travel, our busy lives and other VT gossip, sipping coffee and juice and enjoying great food, it seemed a bargain.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed my eggs benedict with a lobster tail. The items from the seafood buffet were large and fresh. I even saw someone eating oysters (something I don't like). I think it's pretty easy to get your money's worth with the quality of foods offered.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near NoMI
4.5 out of 5 stars