Orange, Chicago

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Orange on Harrison: Printer's Row-breakfast food-CLOSED

by Dabs Updated Dec 27, 2009

French toast kabobs at Orange

The Orange on Harrison closed but there are a several other locations, check the attached website

There are two places that I've heard recommended over and over and over for breakfast in Chicago, The Bongo Room in Wicker Park and Orange which has locations on Clark near Belmont and on Harrison. Parking is impossible up at the Clark St. location so I decided to try the one on Harrison in the south Loop/Printer's Row area of Chicago.

We had tried The Bongo Room just a few days before so, of course, I was comparing the two in my mind. The exterior of both buildings are such that you'd probably walk right on past if you didn't know of them, the interior of Orange is much larger than The Bongo Room. We tried Bongo Room on a weekend when it was packed, Orange on a weekday when we could walk right in and get a table. I've heard that Orange is also packed on the weekends and have heard some grumbling about a rather rude host at the one on Clark.

Favorite Dish: Onto the food, I tried the French toast kabobs, coconut infused french toast, skewered and served with grilled strawberries and pineapple with a coconut mango salsa. The taste of mangos overwhelmed the dish a bit but it was good and much lighter than the french toast I ordered at The Bongo Room.

My friend tried steak and eggs benedict, I tried a bite and it was good as well. Take a look at the photo, doesn't it look like a huge ice cream sundae?

They are known for their pancake flight but the flight option on our visit didn't look very appealing, probably because they tried to try it into the TV show "Fear Factor" :-)

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Orange: Faboo Brunch in Lincoln Park

by BeatChick Written Jul 11, 2009

Orange - Oatmeal w/Dried Fruit

I'd read about Orange being one of the best brunch places in Chicago and since the newest restaurant is located just a few blocks from our hotel, we popped by for Sunday brunch. They don't take reservations so show up early. We showed up mid-morning and the place was packed with the line down the block.

Brunch was good, a bit expensive, but I didn't really care for the "Green Eggs & Ham" as there was a ton of garlic. I burped up garlic-enhanced egg for the rest of the morning. Not exactly my cup of tea. The fruit bowl was excellent, though, and I would return just for the fresh-squeezed orange/cantaloupe juice & sausage - delish!

$3.00 Bottomless Cup of Coffee
    $4.50 Orange/Cantaloupe Juice
    $2.00 Soft Drink
    $8.95 Oatmeal
    $8.95 Green Eggs & Ham w/Swirly Rye Toast
    $1.50 Fruit Salad (subbed for potatoes)
    $3.75 Orange Rosemary Sausage

Photos: May 2009

Favorite Dish: I really liked the Orange Rosemary Sausage while Ian loved the baked oatmeal!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Orange: Breakfast/Lunch Spot

by Hopkid Written Feb 18, 2008

Our Chicago VT buddy, Kristi (Dabs), suggested 2 or 3 places for breakfast within walking distance of our hotel. We chose to try Orange and we were not disappointed. Inside diners will find a split-level dining room with a very high ceiling. There's also a bar to your left as you enter where you can get fresh-squeezed juices. The atmosphere is very casual and relaxing.

I had the Pancake Flight of the day which included for mini-servings of pancakes with various uses of fresh peaches, one of my favorite fruits. The pancakes were light, fluffy, and the peaches were indeed fresh. Coffee was strong and plentiful (my main java requirements) and the service was adequate. It was a good start to the day and fortified us for the morning downtown walking tour we had planned.

STUDENTS PLEASE NOTE: Get 20% off by showing a valid student ID!

Favorite Dish: Pancake Flight (I believe this changes depending on what is freshly available)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Orange: Hip color, hip place in Lincoln Park

by yooperprof Written Jun 22, 2004

not your father's pancake house

"Fresh squeezed" here goes beyond orange here to include pineapple, banana, and kiwi. Open for breakfast and lunch, this place specializes in delicious and inexpensive "brunch" style food that satisfies your hunger without doing harm to your pocketbook. Good mimosas.

• shellybelly567's Profile Photo

Orange: Super Creative Food

by shellybelly567 Updated May 12, 2004

Orange

I was super hungover (on my second day in Chicago) when we went to Orange, but by the end of the meal, I felt a million times better. Orange is one of the most creative, yet inexpensive restaurants I've been to. Their food is is incredibly creative, but not creative to the point that it doesn't taste good anymore. From the themed pancake "flights" (a recent theme was soda-meaning rootbeer and greenriver flavored syrups), to green eggs and ham (the green is pesto), to pan seared oatmeal (on a plate-just like my grandpa likes it), everything is fabulous.
    You can also have fresh juices made for you-I think I had orange-stawberry-pineapple and Dylan had apple-grape, which was really good. By the way, these juices are great hangover cures. Oh yeah and they serve this great orange-flavored coffee too.

Favorite Dish: Ok, my favorite dish isn't really a dish, it's a side. Their breakfast potatoes are amazing!!! They're served in cylinder-shaped blob on your plate and look kind of weird at first, but if you're a potato lover like me, you will absolutely flip for these perfectly seasoned potatoes.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Orange
4.0 out of 5 stars