Paprikash-CLOSED, Chicago

5 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

5210 W Diversey 773-736-4949

• tiganeasca, dlandt, and travelmad478 at Paprikash
    tiganeasca, dlandt, and travelmad478 at...
    by travelmad478
    Paprikash
    by dlandt
    Paprikash restaurant
    by Dabs
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

Paprikash: Authentic Hungarian-CLOSED

by Dabs Updated Sep 30, 2006

Last visit January 2006. First the bad news, the Chicago location of this restaurant is permanently closed. The good news, you can still visit their Arlington Heights location at 602 W. Northwest Hwy at Euclid OR Epicurean Restaurant at 4431 Roosevelt in Hillside which is owned by the original owner of Paprikash and has the same great food

This may be the only Hungarian restaurant in Chicago. We have visited at least 6 times now, usually with large groups. The owner and wait staff are all very friendly, never rushing you through dinner. On different visits we've had the owner making several appearances at our table to help us select a wine to go with our dinner, received complimentary desserts, celebrated at least three birthdays complete with singing waiters and candlelit desserts and received free before dinner and after dinner shots for the entire party.

We've taken people ranging from 7-80, everyone has really enjoyed the food. We've also had three VT meets here, great place to have one!

Paprikash appeared with rave reviews on a local dining show called Check Please and has become a very busy place on Saturday night, Friday night is not as busy. The noise level can be very high on Saturday night so if you want a more intimate dining experience you might consider going sometime other than Saturday.

Favorite Dish: The food is excellent with generous size portions, from the appetizers through the dessert. We start with some csevapcsiksa (Romanian garlic sausage) and a farmer's plate with assorted meats and cheeses. I usually get the Chicken Paprikash, served with a generous portion of homemade spatzle, and my husband the Wiener Schnitzel, served with potatoes. The gypsy steak is also good.

The chestnut puree, listed as a Hungarian speciality, was very good and had a very different taste to it. My husband enjoys the crepes with jam. The flaming chocolate crepes are delicious.

They also serve a wonderful complimentary fried garlic flatbread along with the regular bread-delicious!

Paprikash restaurant

• deecat's Profile Photo

PAPRIKASH Hungarian Restaurant in Chicago: Visit Hungary Right Here in Chicago!

by deecat Updated Oct 31, 2004

PLEASE CLICK to see outside of Paprikash better!

Friday, October 29, 2004, we had an extraordinary VT dinner/meeting here in Chicago at a great Hungarian Restaurant called Paprikash. Twelve people attended, and it seemed that everyone enjoyed the restaurant very much. What's not to enjoy?
    Paprikash is quite modest on the outside, red brick, huge front window with red neon sign, and a hanging white sign announcing Paprikash. Inside, it is quite wonderful with multiple large Sepia-toned framed photographs of Hungary, especially Budapest.
    See my Travelogue about this VT meeting at the bottom of this page, and you will see some of these photographs.
    I loved the whole "feel" of this place with the black laquered chairs, tables with Oil lamps and fresh red and white carnations, and liters of cold iced water. As you walk in the front door, you see a large bar that seats about 12 people; throughout the rest of the restaurant, there are numerous tables. The night that we were there, it was filled but not jam-packed.
    The service was incredible. The owner made sure that we received cordials before and after dinner for FREE. We ordered several appetizers that we shared; each of us had an entree; we also ordered one of each dessert to share.
    Parking is available across the street in a lot.
    Open:
    Wed., Thurs., Fri.: 4:00 p.m.-Midnight
    Sat.-Sun.: 11:00 a.m.-midnight

Closed:
    Monday, Tuesday

Favorite Dish: This was really delicious cuisine.
    I had delectable Sour Cherry Soup
    which was made of sour cherries, fresh lemon, and a hint of cinnamon in a cherry & sour cream broth that is served chilled. It was outstanding.
    For my entree I ordered Csirkepaprikas (Chicken Paprikash) served with homemade nokedii (egg noodles). I ate every last morsel!
    There was also delicious bread.

As a group, we shared appetizers, and I especially enjoyed:
    Csevapcsicsa (Mititei): grilled pieces of homemade garlic sausages served with red cabbage salad and mustard. SUPER

We also shared several desserts, and I liked best these:
    Dobos Torta, which is six individually baked bases filled with chocolate butter-cream with caramel glazing on top.
    SUPERIOR

Gesztenye Pure (Chestnut Puree) A rich chestnut puree with whipped Cream VERY RICH

Dobos Torta: layers of chocolate mousse with thick caramel icing on top DEVINE

Several different Palacsinta (Homemade crepes) some with cheese or fruit marmalade filling, some with walnut puree, cheese, preserves with chocolate sauce.
    SINFUL

All-in-all, it was a culinary feast.

Outside of Paprikash Hungarian Restaurant

• MJB123's Profile Photo

Paprikash: I can eat my own body weight in Hungarian Food!

by MJB123 Updated Mar 9, 2004

Illinois only Hungarian restaurant is in Chicago on Diveresy not too far from my house.
    So I don't have to go far to return to this place which has comfort food that can't be beat.
    This is definately a restuant worth going back--again and again and again.

Favorite Dish: The Beef Gulyas and the spaetzel that is served with it was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. And the Hungarian wine they serve can give serious competoin to those made in Tuscany.

The VTers took over the place.

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Paprikash: Paprikash for Hungarian

by dlandt Updated Mar 4, 2004

Paprikash serves healthy portions of Hungarian food. Its name translates into Paprika in Hungarian and Chicken Paprika seems to be the signature dish. Appetizer, dinner for two, and several drinks came to $52. Most dishes are in the $11-12 range with one as love at $7 and one as high as $15. Service is enthusiastic.

Favorite Dish: Paprika Chicken seems to be the premier offering, my wife loved it. I had the Lecso, kind of stewed onions and peppers and liked it a lot. The goulash-stuffed potato pancakes are to die for. The owner here takes PRIDE in his restaurant. There are a few German and Romanian offerings as well, which is natural given Hungary's geography.

Paprikash
    • Wine Tasting

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

Paprikash: The closest you can get to Hungary...

by travelmad478 Written Feb 1, 2004

We had a great VT meeting here at Paprikash, a Hungarian restaurant in the middle of a huge Polish neighborhood in the western part of town. The food was fabulous, and if I may say, a lot better and lighter than some of the dishes I've been served in Budapest! Great service as well.

tiganeasca, dlandt, and travelmad478 at Paprikash

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Paprikash: Hungarian Cuisine in Chicago

by rmdw Written Oct 29, 2003

Dlandt introduced me to this fabulous restaurant. It has a great ethnic feel to it and great tasting Hungarian food. If you're going there for dinner be sure to arrive by 5:30pm or else you'll be waiting a long time!

Hungarian Food in Chicago