Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due, Chicago

• deecat's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due: A New Look at Pizzeria Due

by deecat Written Aug 12, 2007

Slice of Pizzeria Due Pizza

Allan and I have eaten at both Pizzeria Due and Pizzeria Uno for 40 years. It used to be our favorite pizza in a long list of great pizza establishments in Chicago. On Thursday, August 9, 2007, we walked to Wabash and Ontario to eat at Pizzeria Due. It was such a disappointment. Of of all, you go inside and place your order. The pizza takes 45 minutes so you have to pre-order. It's always jam-packed; thus, there is a long wait. We sat outside on a bench and watched the people and cars. We were called about 35 minutes later and taken into the room with the large bar. We were seated at one of those uncomfortable high round tables. This one was especially small and wobbly. We ordered drinks and a house salad to split. The salad came in one dish so we had to eat out of one dish. The salad was not fresh. I just ate a few bites. Allan was hungry so he finished it off but agreed that it was less than mediocre.

Once our pizza came, [we ordered a medium pepperoni deep dish], I was famished. Because the table was so wobbly, every time either of us cut the pizza, it seemed as though everything would fall off the table.

The pizza was good but not good enough to have to go through that ordeal again.

Favorite Dish: Pizzeria Due serves appetizers such as soup, garlic bread, veggie dip, and buffalo wings. They offer salads such as Caesar and Spinach as well as house salad. They offer only two kinds of pasta: Pomodoro [Penne with meatless marinara sauce] and Spaghetti [with meatballs].

Sandwiches consist of Italian Beef, Meatball, Italian Beef and Sausage Combo. They do offer Desserts such as spumoni ice cream, Chicago cheesecake, a brownie bowl, an Uno Deep Dish Sundae, and Mega-sized Deep Dish Sundaes.. I cannot believe I've never tried one of their desserts, but after pizza, I'm too full to try one.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Due: It's All in The Sauce at....

by deecat Updated Aug 18, 2005

Allan Enjoying His Pizza at Pizzeria Due

After our successful trip to the Museum of Science and Industry, Allan and I took the #10 CTA Bus downtown. We walked to Pizzeria Due because Allan has been wanting a deep dish pizza from there for months now.

Note: you always have to wait when you eat here, so be prepared.

We put in our order [you have to put in your pizza order before they put your name on the waiting list]. Then we took a walk around the block to admire the architecture. Afterward, we sat on a bench in front of the restaurant and admired the near-perfect Chicago night. People watching is also always fun. Lots of tourist come to Pizzeria Uno/Due so it's an assortment of all kinds of people, foreign and native-born.

After about 45 minutes, we were called, and ate outside on the raised patio. There was lots of excitement with three fire trucks and four rescue squards less than a block away, and then five different TV station trucks arrived. Evidently, there was some kind of "incident"; we never discovered what it was exactly.

Most annoying was the wait for our pizza. Mind you, we had already waited for 45 minutes to be seated [and remember, we put our pizza order in then!] After another 1/2 hour, our pizza was served.

Favorite Dish: Before the pizza came, Allan and I shared a salad, which was average. It was made up of lettuce and tomatoes with wine vinegarette dressing. Allan consumed most of it.

Our pizza was a medium deep dish with onions and mushrooms and extra tomato sauce. I love the sauce because it is made with chunky tomatoes and is delicious.

I was able to eat only one piece because it is so filling. Allan had two pieces, and we took the rest home.

If it were not for all the waiting, this would be an ideal place to experience delicious Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. If you are in a hurry, just forget it.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Pizzaria Uno

by frankcanfly Updated Jun 7, 2004

I know, it's now a chain of Pizza Restaurants.... but it had to start somewhere, and that was here in Chicago in 1943.

It was so popular, they soon opened "Pizzaria Duo" just two blocks away.

Favorite Dish: Duh

Great Pizza! Great Pizza, and some Great Pizza.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: My favorite pizzas-deep dish part II

by Dabs Updated May 5, 2004

Pizzeria Uno

Many folks say that Pizzeria Uno is overrated, I have been eating there for years and have never had a disappointing pizza. The specialty at Pizzeria Uno and their related restaurant Pizzeria Due is deep dish pizza.

I always order my pizza from Uno's from the Merrillville location (or Crestwood) so I haven't been in the Chicago location for years. It does get quite crowded so if you are staying at a downtown hotel and don't want to endure the long wait you can order for pickup or delivery and take it back to your hotel.

Favorite Dish: The Chicago Classic pizza is the only one I ever order. It's a deep dish pizza topped with fresh tomatoes and sausage on a buttery crust, this particular pizza is my current favorite!

• midnight_mike's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due: The best deep dish pizza in Chicago

by midnight_mike Written May 20, 2006

As a person who has lived in Chicago all his life, I have to say that Pizzeria Uno has the best deep dish pizza in Chicago. If it didn't, why would there be so many of these restaurants across the country? When you go to Chicago, go to the original location in downtown. It is an intimate setting to experience pizza magic.

• MJB123's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: Beware fellow Italians...

by MJB123 Updated Feb 20, 2004

It was here that the famous deep dish pizza was born back in 1943. Since then it has been clogging up arteries and adding inches to people's waistline. If you want to have a truly Chicago experience you can go downtown and eat here.

Favorite Dish: I have never eaten here. Me and a friend tried to get a table here but it was too crowded. Instead of waiting for a table we went over to Big Bowl down the street.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due: You call this thing a pizza?

by Callavetta Written Sep 19, 2007

You call this a pizza?

The girls wanted to try Chicago deep dish pizza and heard that Pizzaria Uno or Due was the place to go. It definately is a popular choice. We were able to get a seat pretty fast inside, although our preference would have been outside (full). Inside the tables were close together and full and the restaurant is noisy. We were told upon ordering that a pizza would take 45 minutes. It took all of that and more. We enjoyed margaritas and hot wings (excellent) while waiting.

Then the pizza came... if you call that a pizza! I guess I'm not used to deep dish pizzas because this thing seemed more like some kind of casserole. Our waitress told us most adults eat 2 pieces. I could only eat half of one (although the margaritas and wings may have been partly to blame).

I did get a be claustrophobic as time passed. While the girls finished their meal I went outside to sit and get some air. I was stunned to find a huge crowd waiting outside. It seems the Bears game had gotten out and locals were waiting to feast.

Favorite Dish: We had a pepperoni and sausage pie with veggies only on my portion. The wings were really good. And the margaritas were passable. I found the pomegranite margarita a little too sweet for my taste.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: The Original Pizzeria Uno

by littlesam1 Updated Nov 10, 2002

Although you can find Uno's all over the United States now, the original is in Chicago. So although I have been to Uno's many times at my home in Baltimore, I still had to check out the original in Chicago.

Favorite Dish: Why, Deep Dish Chicago Pizza, of course.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Due: Pizzeria Due not Uno!

by littlesam1 Written Nov 10, 2002

When the original Pizzeria Uno was built and became so popular they decided to expand. But instead of making their restaurant bigger than bought property one block away and open Pizzeria Due. In all honesty, I did not eat at Uno's in Chicago. I could eat at Uno's in almost any city but could only eat at Due in Chicago.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: Chicago Style Pizza

by Etoile2B Updated May 17, 2004

The original and some of the best Chicago-style deep dish pizza. They don't take reservations so expect a wait. But you order your pizza when you put your name in (since deep dish takes about 40 minutes to make) and it's usually ready soon after you're seated.

• threegoofs's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due: Best Chicago Pan Pizza

by threegoofs Written Feb 2, 2007

Uno's and Due's are the stalwarts of Chicago Pan Pizza. If you want real Chicago pizza, these are the places to go - they are essentially the same restaurant, a block away from each other. DO NOT confuse these with the pizza chain Uno's, which can be found everywhere in the country. The name was liscened out years ago, but the bozo who owns Uno's wouldnt allow them to bake the pizza, so the stuff you get at those Uno's isnt remotely like the Chicago original. Gino's East is another option for authentic 'za, but Giardano's, Bacinos, Edwardos, etc are a different breed , and while very good, not like Unos at all.

This place is great for kids, except for the often very long waits. The good thing is that you can always sneak out to ESPN zone nearby to play some games whle you wait.

Favorite Dish: The Italian Sausage on the pizza is like a think patty all over the pizza. My kids strongly prefer the plain cheese, and I prefer to douse it with plenty of parmesan, oregano and pepper flakes.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Pizza Uno: Chicago Deep Dish

by apbeaches Written Jul 7, 2008

Yes, we had to go to the original Pizza Uno, again around the corner from our hotel. The service was good, the :45 wait for the deep dish pizza didn't seem so long. We squeezed into the small booth & enjoyed the memorabilia. Enjoyed the pizza, salad & chicken wings. We all ate & seemed pleased.

There was one ladies room stall & a woman with a few little girls. I finally gave up and ran back to the hotel.

Favorite Dish: Pizza!

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due: Not Worth the Wait

by TRimer Written Jul 24, 2007

Now known as the Uno Chicago Grill.

Pizza Uno is where deep dish pizza was - according to local legend- created. Deep dish pizza is associated with Chicago - thus it has become known as Chicago-style pizza. Funny thing is that the creator, Ike Sewell, is from Texas.

Ike Sewell developed his pizza - which has a thick flaky crust- in 1943. Pizza, which was known as tomato pie- was just becoming popular in America. Soldiers had tried it in Europe during the war and pizza places began to open in New York and Chicago. Pizza did not become a national phenonemon until the 1950s.

Uno's is now a chain around the country. Reviews in other cities appear to be positive- so maybe the food translates better when you don't have to wait to be crammed into a little room (others have described it as cosy).

Favorite Dish: The last time I was here, the meat in our pizza was undercooked so we ended up picking out what we could and eating around it. This was especially disappointing considering that we had waited over an hour for a table. Still we had friends in town who just had to try out the place- never again! There are much better places in Chicago to get a really great deep dish pizza (Eduardos, Giodanos, Gino's).

Don't plan on going anywhere but home after your meal. First of all, you never know how long the wait will be (the pizza itself take 45 minutes to cook and you have to wait to be seated). Then, you will be either too full to do anything or have lots of leftovers that will need refrigeration.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Uno: The first pizza restaurant in the US

by aukahkay Written Jan 19, 2006

Entrance of Pizziera Uno, Chicago

The original Pizziera Uno, established in 1943, is the first pizziera in the US. Among its eminent clients are former first lady Hiliary Clinton. The restaurant is located in a grey Victorian building on E Ohio Street. The ambience is typically Chicagoan. You will have to wait for your table and no reservations are taken. However, your order will be recorded so that by the time you get your table, your pizza will be ready hopefully. I sat outside in the courtyard for about 45 minutes on a cold November evening weekday waiting for my table.

Favorite Dish: Mushroom pizza - fresh mushrooms with thick cheese - yummy!

• Business Travel

• Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due: Very disappointing

by reenby Written Jul 22, 2007

Pizzeria Uno does warn that it takes a long time to make a deep pan pizza but we figured it would be worth the wait.

When our pizza finally arrived I was very disappointed. It is deep as promised, but its also heavy, doughy and topped with way too much tomato sauce - all I could taste was tomato while chewing a mound of dough. I only ate a quarter and gave up.

Compare that to the wonderful pizzas of Italy, thin bases, smothered in all sorts of toppings and only a smear of tomato - theres really no comparason.

I expect all deep pan pizzas are the same so maybe its unfair to pick on this restaurant, but it is the one we visited,.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Pizzeria Uno/Pizzeria Due
4.0 out of 5 stars