Portillo's Hot Dogs, Chicago

4 out of 5 stars 10 Reviews

Several locations 630-851-5151

• Portillos hot dog: Overrated hotdogs

by pcphn1 Written May 3, 2013

I went there yesterday night. It took me fifteen minutes. First time in chicago I went there dueto recomendation from this board. My experience is bad service and bad food. The hot dog at 7 eleven and Sam whole sale taste better than this. I am very disappointed.

Favorite Dish: Ynone

• lisha74's Profile Photo

Portillo's: Local's favorite

by lisha74 Updated Jan 14, 2010

Portillo's is a favorite of us locals (although the River North location gets its fair share of tourists), and has quite a few locations throughout the Chicagoland area. When I was living in Boston, Portillo's was one of those places I always had to stop at every time I came home to visit family and friends.

Favorite Dish: I recommend trying the Italian Beef. But no matter what you decide, definitely order the cheese fries to go with it!

• jo104's Profile Photo

Portillo's: No ketchup on a chicago hotdog

by jo104 Written Jun 24, 2009

This to me is fast food heaven a 100 times better then McDonalds tastier and you can even get alcohol.

Do get a chicago hot dog with everything on it, mustard, relish, onions, sliced red tomatoes, kosher pickle, sport pepers all wrapped up in a steamed poppy seed bun all for under $3.
    I believe the chilli dog is good as well and Sandy tried the Italian beef sandwich and ruled it good as well. The french fries are crinkle style and well very good as well.

There is a gangster 20's, 30's & 40's theme in the joint with a takeaway or eat in diner. I purchased strawberry daquari's at the bar which were delicious. Its certainly one of the most addictive and reasonably priced meals around chicago.

The are open fairly late as well and you can ask for a portillo's paper hat if you wish.

• Portillo's Hot Dogs: As Chicago as fast food can get.

by LauraBach Written Dec 1, 2007

If you want to try some typical Chicago food and want great food quikly without spending much money, you must try Portillo's. It is a chain, they are all over Chicagoland. The name is Portillo's Hot Dogs so of course you can get Chicago-style hot dogs, but you can also get Italian beef, Italian sausage, great burgers, and more. They also offer catering and will ship food anywhere in the country.

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Portillo's Hot Dogs: The best hot dog ever!!

by sabogg01 Written Sep 19, 2007

The service was fast, the decor was awesome! I got a hot dog with cheese, tomato, and onion....which was excellent but that is how I always eat my hot dogs, even in KY! My bf and my friend chose the chili dogs. It was so good! We loved it! :) I would recommend to anyone and will defiantly go there again! :)

Favorite Dish: Hot Dogs!

• Portillo's Hot Dogs: Chicagoland Favourite

by cassehkins Written Jun 16, 2006

Portillos has been a staple in my family since my great-grandparents crossed the atlantic from Bohemia. The aura is always pleasurable and the staff are friendly. Each restaurant has a different theme, my personal favourite being 30's Prohibitio, but my favourite location is in Villa Park. Portillo's has such a wonderful setting, such a lovely place to dine. You're always welcome at Portillo's.

Favorite Dish: My favourite meals at Portillo's consist of 2 Plain Hotdogs, 1 medium cheese fry and a strawberry milkshake, or an Italian Beef sandwich au juice with sweet peppers and a malt. Ever since I found out what went into a hotdog, I've refused to eat them, except for Portillo's. They use all beef in their dogs n wouldnt ever settle for anything less. The first bite into a juicy, hotdog from Portillo's is like dying and going straight to heaven. I even got one of my vegetarian friends to try one, and she's well, no longer as strict about eating meat, but only when it comes to Portillo's!!!!

• spgood301's Profile Photo

Portillo's Hot Dogs: Hot Dawg!!!

by spgood301 Written Feb 13, 2006

Portillo's, on Ontario & Clark

Get yourself a vintage Chicago hot dog at Portillo's. They split their hot dogs right down the middle and place a pickle inside. Add chopped onions, tomatoes, relish, mustard, a cucumber & some peppers, and you've got yourself a delicious Portillo's hot dog. Mmmmmmm!

If you don't like hot dogs, don't fret. Portillo's also serves hamburgers, Italian beef sandwiches and other dishes. And there's Barnelli's Pasta Bowl in the same building for pasta and sandwiches. I haven't tried Barnelli's yet - when I do, I'll let you know.

Favorite Dish: It's gotta be their hot dogs!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Portillo's Hot Dogs: River North-Hot dogs and more

by Dabs Written Jan 22, 2005

Portillo's

When I was trying to find a hot dog place in the downtown/tourist area to take fellow VTers rmdw and Shekaago, I found that the ones that come most highly recommended are out in the neighborhoods such as Weiner's Circle and Demon Dogs up in the Lincoln Park area.

Portillo's is a successful chain of hot dog places, both in the city and the suburbs, that does a lot of business. I've eaten at several of their locations and the quality is consistent. Portillo's is a family owned business, these are not franchised stores.

Service is usually pretty quick considering the volume of people that are waiting for orders.

The interior of each place is decorated on a theme, the downtown location is 20s, 30s and 40s gangster

Favorite Dish: I'm not a fan of the Chicago dog, don't like mustard or relish, and putting ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago is considered criminal activity. So to avoid being thrown in lockup, I usually order a chili dog. Portillo's makes a very good chili cheese dog, add diced onions if you are not on a date.

Hot dogs are just a small part of their menu, you can also gets burgers, sandwiches, salads, soup and more

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Portillo's Hot Dogs: Hot Dogs and Much, Much More!

by rmdw Written Nov 7, 2004

Portillo's Hot Dogs

I can't believe I visited Chicago for 10 years before I tried Portillo's. First started in 1963, it's definitely a Chicago institution. My VT friends, Dabs & Shekaago took me to the downtown location at 100 West Ontario.

Kids will love this place! It's decorated with lots of items from the days when the gangsters ruled the city, including an old car suspended high above the tables.

Favorite Dish: There are different counters to go to depending on what you want to eat. I had a Jumbo Hot Dog and a Polish Dog. Both were very good, though I preferred the Polish one.

There a potpourri of other offerings including burgers, italian beef sandwiches, and even different kinds of pasta.

• Study Abroad

• fraz's Profile Photo

Portillos - The best Italian...

by fraz Written Aug 24, 2002

Portillos - The best Italian beef sandwiches ever. I ordered mine with sweet and hot peppers and had them dip it in the gravy - unbelievable. This local award winning eatery has locations all over the Chicago metro area. This Chicago specialty is not to be missed.
    Casual and fun atmosphere. Not very expensive.

Favorite Dish: Italian Beef Sandwiches and other great Italian foods.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Portillo's Hot Dogs
4.0 out of 5 stars