Roy's, Chicago

720 N. State St. (312) 787-7599

• The chowder was so good I had to immortalize it!
    The chowder was so good I had to...
    by Jefie
    The staff busy in the kitchen
    by Jefie
    The infamous chocolate souffle at Roy's!
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Roy's: Hawaiian fusion cuisine at its best!

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

The infamous chocolate souffle at Roy's!

There wasn't anything special going on at the Jane Austen conference on the Friday night so Pamela, Sylvia and I went looking for some place nice to have dinner. Now, to find a good restaurant in the Magnificient Mile area on a Friday night when you haven't made reservations can be quite a challenge, so we really lucked out when we stopped by Roy's. There were no tables available, but they immediately sat us at the bar that overlooks the kitchen, which actually made for quite an entertaining dinner! We all went for the $35 seasonal prix fixe menu, a three-course dinner "inspired by the bounty of season". The roasted corn and sweet potato chowder was to die for, if there hadn't been so many people around I probably would have licked my plate! For the main course, we tried the Island-style braised pork pot roast served with gingered applesauce and the tender braised Hawaii Kai beef short ribs - both dishes were excellent, especially the beef which was so tender you could have eaten it with a spoon. For dessert I got Roy’s melting hot chocolate souffle and again, the thought of licking my plate came to mind ;o) What's left to say but that the atmosphere and our friendly waitress made the experience even more enjoyable!

Favorite Dish: The main course was good, but I would have been happy with just the chowder and the dessert!!

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Roy's Hawaiian Fusion: Hawaiian Cuisine in Chicago!!!

by Marisola Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hawaiian Martinis

Try a special Pineapple Martini for starters, a Mai Tai or a Mojito and you'll feel like you're back in Hawaii. There are so many wonderful appetizer choices of different specialities, sushi, seafood and salads, you'll have a hard time deciding. For your main course, there are even more choices from the land and the sea. You won't be able to try them all, so you will have to come back again, or visit another Roy's location in another state. They have over 36 locations in the world. This restaurant is for everyone who likes fine cuisine!

Favorite Dish: My favorite at Roy's is a Hawaiian Classic: Roasted Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi with Lobster Cognac. It's superbe.

• Luxury Travel
    • Business Travel

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Roy's: Upscale Hawaiian Luau and More (River North)

by yooperprof Written Jan 15, 2005

Aloha, baby

All Midwesterners need to get to the islands occasionally - at least in their mental space. Roy's is an excellent place to sample a bit of tropical paradise in the middle of Chicago. Certainly It's not a cheap meal, but it's a lot less expensive than flying to Hawaii!! It's something of a franchise, based in the islands, but with several branches on the mainland. I loved the tropical cocktails - the rum-based drinks where you forget that you're drinking alcohol! Most of the entrees on the menu relate to sun and seafood - the fish is especially good. I had some flounder that was incredibly tasty and tender.

Favorite Dish: Fans of shellfish will be happy here too. Other sea critters too! My table had an octopus appetizer. But be careful if you have a peanut allergy - this probably isn't a safe place, as many of the dishes have peanut sauces.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Roy's: Aloha!

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Friends had raved about Roys, both in Chicago and Hawaii, so we chose it for my birthday. But we were underwhelmed. The food just didn't seem original enough for the price. I will say that they made a nice little surprise for my birthday though! [see the second picture!]

Favorite Dish: The food was very well-prepared and tasty, but didn't have that extra "spark" that you want from a fine dining experience.

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Roy's
4.5 out of 5 stars