Shaw's Crab House, Chicago

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Shaw's Crabhouse: River North-seafood

by Dabs Updated Apr 8, 2009

Last visit 2/28/09

Chicago isn't known for seafood since we are nowhere near a coast with a supply of fresh fish but that doesn't mean that you can't get good seafood here, it just means that you'll pay a lot more. I see people debating over two of the more popular seafood places, Joe's Stone Crab and Shaw's, both are part of the LEYE empire so I suspect that they get their seafood from the same suppliers.

We made reservations through Open Table for 7:30pm on a Friday night, the restaurant was jammed with people so we had to wait for about 15 minutes to get our table. Service was friendly and efficient. Like Joe's, it's a very popular restaurant but the noise level isn't so high that you can't have a conversation.

Favorite Dish: I wanted to try a little bit of several different things so we ordered the three course family style dining option (minimum two people, $43.95 per person) which started with a cup of either New England clam chowder or lobster bisque, Washington Dungeness crab, Alaskan red king crab, crabcakes, au gratin potatoes, creamed spinach, cole slaw and capped off with a generous slice of key lime pie, I suspect the type of crab offered depends on what is in season. I always order the crabcakes at Joe's and the ones at Shaw's are very similar, filled with lump crabmeat and little filler, and I love the dipping sauce. Everything else we ordered was delicious. I think it worked out to be a good deal, by the time you order all of that stuff a la carte, I think it would be a lot more. Plus it was a nice sampling of many different menu items.

So who wins the Joe's vs. Shaw's debate? I think the food is equally good at both, I really like the combo meal idea at Shaw's, I like the service a bit better at Joe's, but really you can't go wrong with either one.

• phildeni's Profile Photo

Shaw's Crab House: Walk from the Hampton Inn, downtown

by phildeni Written Jul 21, 2006

The name of the restaurant makes it sound like they serve only seafood, but steaks,etc. are also served. There is another part of the place that is a Jazz club, and serves coctails.

Favorite Dish: I had sea scallops that were delicious.

• Music

• OiKnow's Profile Photo

Shaw's Crab House: Great Seafood in a Traditional Setting

by OiKnow Written Jul 9, 2006

Being seated in Shaw’s Crab House is like stepping back 40 years in time. The interior is traditional big city restaurant, elegant, dark and very comfortable. The concierge at the hotel called ahead and made reservations for us. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. The service was attentive and polished. The food, from appetizer to desert was fresh and first class.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes regularly to reflect what is fresh.

• simcard's Profile Photo

Shaw's Crab House: Best seafood in town

by simcard Written Jul 20, 2006

This restaurant serves the best seafood in town in my opinion, especially the big combo seafood appetiser. strangely, lobster here is cheaper than steak and crab!

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Shaw's Crab House
4.5 out of 5 stars