Signature Room at the 95th, Chicago

sea food delite
    night view
    with my friend
  • Marisola's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Dining Above Chicago!

by Marisola Written Nov 30, 2005

Marie at the 95th

The views here are the best in Chicago, and what a wonderful way to spend an evening. Come here for dinner or drinks, and you won't be disappointed. Anywhere you sit will be a spectacular view. Even the ladies room has windows!

The Signature Room serves American eclectic appetizers, seafood and steaks. Their food is more expensive than usual, but it's worth the extra bucks.

Favorite Dish: Everything here is superbe. My favorites are the ahi tuna appetizer, lobster bisque soup and grilled filet of beef, strip steak or slow-roasted leg of lamb for a main entree. For dessert, creme brulee is always delicious, or whatever seasonal special they're serving.

Out after dinner? Have a Cognac or a Port here.

• Singles

• jo104's Profile Photo

Signature Room at 95th: A buffet with a view

by jo104 Written Sep 2, 2009

Planning a trip to the Hancock building admission alone is $15 so why not combine the excellent food with a pretty good buffet at a ultra reasonable price.

We booked a table of 4 for the buffet which is served Monday to Saturday for only $18 per Adult and $11 per child. The buffet consisted of a variety of salads, homemade soup, jacket potatoes, carved meat, fish, chicken and a selection of vegetables. Ok it may be a little limited in the variety offered but you can keep going back and its all fresh and tasty.

They charge an 18% service charge to a table of 6 or more I am not sure if thats for the buffet though as we were only 4 and technically should only apply to al la carte. Drinks were very expensive & to be honest at the risk of sounding cheap I'd be happy to stick to water. A mimosa was ordered for me which turned out to be half sparkling wine & half orange juice but if I paid $1 more I could have a whole glass of bubbles at $12 I know which I'd rather have!

The view was spectacular and you are welcome to go upstairs to the signature lounge one floor up where the have spectacular views from the ladies toilet as well as being more relaxed to walk about and take pictures. Drinks up here are just as expensive but they do take cards I'm told.

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Best view in the Ladies Room!

by Mairo21 Written Dec 25, 2007

Located on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Center, the Signature Room offers sweeping views of the city. I have to admit I didn't fare well with the ambience of the restaurant. It was too congested and the volume was a little much for my taste, so I will have to say, this was one of my most least favourite places to dine. The service wasn't satisfactory either, and the food I found was a bit overpriced for the quality and portioning. Luckily, the breath-taking views made up for the dissatisfying part of my experience...especially the view from the ladies room. Sounds a little corny, but I spent alot of time, along with a bunch of other ladies...in the restroom...just admiring the wonderful view! Sorry men, no view for you.

• Verdone's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: One of the most incredible views in the world!

by Verdone Written Jul 16, 2006

John Hancock Building

The name of the restaurant refers to the 95th floor of Chicago's John Hancock Building. This restaurant really offers one of the most incredible views in the entire world. Looking over the Chicago skyline and Lake Michigan on a clear day is almost unbeatable. On clear days you can see Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, and of course Illinois. They have a great buffet at lunch, however, the crowd at night is an affluent one. The menu prices increase dramatically and there is a dresscode.

Favorite Dish: The lunchtime buffet is always adventurous and delicious.

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Restaurant with a View!

by Ujamaflip Updated Dec 21, 2008

View of the Signature Room from the 96th Floor

We visited this restaurant which is located near the top of the Hancock Building in the early afternoon, we were hoping to take advantage of the reasonably priced lunch buffet, but we were too late and had missed lunch. (lunch is served 11:00 to 14:30, dinner is served 17:00 to 10:00 or 11:00 on Friday and Saturday)

Instead we took a table in the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor, with just as spectacular views. The signature lounge offers cocktails, drinks and light snacks.

Prices were high, but not exceptionally so. The room was crowded and a little untidy looking, but the service was good, if a little slow.

Edit - December 2008
    ---------------------------

We revisted the Hancock building during our most recent visit in December, and this time dided in the Signature Room. We got the lift to the 95th floor and then requested a table (without reservation). We had to wait about 15minutes before we were called and taken to our table, which was positioned right next to the window, offering unsurpassed views of Northern Chicago side and the lake.

During lunch time we had the option to choose from a buffet (priced around $18), or À la carte. Since it looked like we would have needed to fight through a hoard of waiting diners and a labrynth of tightly positioned tables we opted for the carte. I had some sort of steak, and Victoria had some sort of salad, they were both delicious, matching up to the views of the city.

I can imagine it must be wonderful to dine here in the evening when the city is lit up.

Favorite Dish: A limited number of dishes, I took a trio of mini hamburgers and my friend took the guacamole. Both were nice, good portions, but nothing special.

• Architecture

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: On Top of the World

by HotSpotJ Written Nov 5, 2006

View from the lounge near twilight

The Signature Room is something I'd recommened everyone at least make an attempt to do during a stay in Downtown chicago.... the view from the lounge is amazing. I luckily came here rather well dressed, as the dining groups around me were business casual, and altogether the dinig was awesome as was the drinks at the lounge bar.

Favorite Dish: Though not quite as good as the Harry Caray Filet, The filet was good and the Sidecar Martini was awesome!

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Upscale ish..

by sunshine9689 Updated Sep 26, 2007

September, 2007.

The food was good, the wine was too. I give it 4* on a scale from 1 to 5.
    Our appetizers (crab/shrimp plate and a crab soup) were better than our entrees (lamb and steak).

Had 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 beers, 1 glass of wine and 2 coffees. Spent $210 total.
    Had a nice relaxing time although tourists with their flashes were a bit of a nuisance.

The view is definitely the reason why people go there and shell out of big bucks. Rather than that, there are better restaurants in town.

You better reserve a table 2 days in advance.. You can do so online as well as over the phone.

• monica71's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Go here for best views and decent priced Martinis

by monica71 Written Sep 17, 2007

I always go here when I have friends visting me and I want to show them the city from up high. We pass the lines to the Hancock observatory and head straight to the Signature Room. Here we order a Martini ($7,50 for a non-alcholic one and $13 for a regular one), enjoy the drink and take in some very nice views of Chicago. Eating here can get pretty expensive, depending on what you order, so if you are on a budget, come here for a drink only and a nice view of the city.

Favorite Dish: Scallops (served with pasta) and Petit Filet (served with asparagus and potatoes)

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Signature Room: Wonderful views of Chicago part 2

by machomikemd Updated Nov 12, 2010

me

part two of my Signature Room tips with more pictures inside the luxe signature room!

While in Chicago One Should Have to experience dinner at the 95th floor of Hancock Tower to experience to panoramic views and vistas of the magnificent chicago sklyine and lake michigan with views up to 60 miles away and that is my saying! hence dinner here at the Luxe Signature Lounge is a MUST for me and since I have lots of Pictures here, it will be a three part tip Ok. The Signature Room at the 95th offers Contemporary American fare with sweeping views of the city. The elegant wood designs and art-deco interior create an inviting and intimate atmosphere for you and your guests. The Signature Room features the finest in American cuisine with entrees ranging from $25 to $49.But, Needless to say, the view of the city and the lake is breathtaking. The menu is upscale but basic and features creations with duck, seafood and veal. Steak and chops are also available as well as a couple of vegetarian offerings. The Signature Restaurant at "95th" is notoriously expensive but definitley worth it! (hey I've spurged on $ 170 Kobe Rib Eye 12 ounce in 5A5 Steakhouse San Francisco ok!)

Favorite Dish: Dress Code here at Signature Restaurant is Business Casual

Hours of Operation: Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm

• Wine Tasting

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Signature Room at 95th Floor: wonderful views of Chicago (part 1)

by machomikemd Updated Nov 4, 2010

at the room

While in Chicago One Should Have to experience dinner at the 95th floor of Hancock Tower to experience to panoramic views and vistas of the magnificent chicago sklyine and lake michigan with views up to 60 miles away and that is my saying! hence dinner here at the Luxe Signature Lounge is a MUST for me and since I have lots of Pictures here, it will be a three part tip Ok. The Signature Room at the 95th offers Contemporary American fare with sweeping views of the city. The elegant wood designs and art-deco interior create an inviting and intimate atmosphere for you and your guests. The Signature Room features the finest in American cuisine with entrees ranging from $25 to $49.But, Needless to say, the view of the city and the lake is breathtaking. The menu is upscale but basic and features creations with duck, seafood and veal. Steak and chops are also available as well as a couple of vegetarian offerings. The Signature Restaurant at "95th" is notoriously expensive but definitley worth it! (hey I've spurged on $ 170 Kobe Rib Eye in 5A5 Steakhouse San Francisco ok!)

Favorite Dish: Dress Code here at Signature Restaurant is Business Casual

I was trying their sea food menu and for starters, having a lobster bisque soup at $ 8 then having some complimentary breads and butter after which having my favorite Long Island Iced tea at $ 14 per glass then my friend had a Chilean Salmon Platter at $ 26 an order and for me who is a food connosiuer (read glutton!) a sea food platter for two consisting of maine lobsters, alaskan king crab legs, chesapeake bay oysters and steamers and squid rings at $ 49 an order! then off to signature lounge for a late night repast (see my separate signature lounge tips).

• Wine Tasting

• londonlover's Profile Photo

The Signature Room on the 95th--Hancock Building: Dining on top of the world!

by londonlover Updated Sep 8, 2004

Mom and Dad enjoying the food and the view!

This is the best view you can have of Chicago while eating! What's great about this posh restaurant is that there is no admission charge (unlike the observation deck just a few floors up), and you can sit and have a gourmet lunch or dinner as you gaze over Chicago. The three sides of the restaurant face east (lakeview), north (Gold Coast view), or southwest (more of downtown and the Sears Tower), and all are fantastic.

Favorite Dish: The lunch buffet is the most reasonable ($15) and has a nice variety of foods. Lunch and dinner both have a varied a la carte menu and a great dessert selection. Be prepared for the steeper prices at night (they know they've got the best view in town!).

• J_lynch's Profile Photo

The Hancock building's (On...

by J_lynch Written Aug 25, 2002

The Hancock building's (On Michicgan Ave) Signature Room is a good place to each and view the City of Chicago. I think the Hancock has better views of Chicago than the Sear's tower since you can view the lake shore.

The dinner menu is a bit pricy, but they have a pretty reasonable lunch menu. For about $12 you can have the buffet and a nice view of Chicago.

• bruingirl's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Signature Room at the 95th

by bruingirl Updated Feb 11, 2006

This restuarant, located on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building, is absolutely amazing!!! You have a view of the entire city and the lake! There are not too many restaurants out there that are this high up in the sky! Just imagine sitting at a table, looking out at night and seeing the entire city of Chicago all around you! Words just cannot describe the feeling you get when you have dinner here! Prices: US$25-35/person for the main dish. It is such a romantic restaurant - with killer views of the city that you can't get anywhere! I would highly recommend getting reservations here.

Favorite Dish: Anything on their special menu which was designed so that 10% of the proceeds go to a local charity. Also, the shrimp and scallop dish. They also have a pretty good wine list. :) 1997 Stag's Leap Cabernet is a good choice if you want to spend $200 on a bottle of wine. Granted, it's an excellent bottle of wine....but I chose the 2002 Silverado Merlot. It was good and I had no complaints.
    Their steaks are excellent, as was the duck dish. The lobster bisque was good, but nothing to write home to mom about.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Sky is the Limit !!!

by traveloturc Updated Aug 6, 2007
    signature restaurant

For an ex paratroober its always exciting to seat and eat on the 95 th floor of a building.I was really excited with the idea of dining above the clouds ..
    Located atop the John Hancock Center, in the heart of Chicago's Magnificent Mile,

Favorite Dish: In 1996 The Signature Room at the 95th was named Restaurant of the Year by Food & Beverage Equipment Executives; voted one of "America's Top Tables" by Gourmet Magazine readers consecutively since 1997; and has won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence every year since 1999. That same year owner, Rick Roman, received the Restauranteur of the Year award by the Illinois Restaurant Association. More recently, The Signature Room at the 95th was awarded the "Business Impact of the Year Award" by The Greater North Michigan Avenue Association, an award presented to the business with the most innovative ideas and contribution as a corporate citizen. Do you need more to feel the quality of the restaurant ???

• jaolucas's Profile Photo

Signature Room at the 95th: Looking for a romantic dinner in Chicago?

by jaolucas Written Nov 2, 2006

First thing that came out of my mouth after stepping out of the elevator - WOW! Situated on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building, the Signature room offers a spectacular view of the Chicago skyline. On a clear night sky it is one of the most romantic dinner place that I've ever been to during my stay at the Windy City.

Be ready with a fat wallet though because great place, great food and great service has its price...*wink*

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Signature Room at the 95th
4.0 out of 5 stars