Tre Kronor, Chicago

well worth a photo!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Tre Kronor: The Swedish Chef cooks for VT people

by yooperprof Written Jan 25, 2013

Lovely brunch/mid-day meal experience at Tre Kronor, Chicago's premier Swedish restaurant. They are particularly known for their French toast and (of course) Swedish pancakes, served with lingonberry jam. Simple preparations, tastefully presented - in a traditional atmosphere, with not a piece of Ikea furniture in sight! You'll feel as if you are in one of Ingmar Bergman's movies, if you know who that is you know I'm referring to greatest Swedish filmmaker from the 1950s and 60s. This was a really nice place (off the beaten path) for a VT meeting - but that's what it's all about, yes?

Located in the Albany Park neighborhood, close to the end of the Brown CTA line.

Better than Ann Sathers! pancake and bacon pretty as a picture well worth a photo!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Tre Kronor: Albany Park-Swedish food

by Dabs Updated Nov 15, 2009

Tre Kronor was the latest spot picked by international diner Chet (yooperprof) on one of his many visits to Chicago. We had a large group and they requested that we wait to be seated when the whole party was there, fortunately it was a sunny day and we didn't mind waiting outside. There are two floors in this cozy spot, we were seated in the large upstairs space, the wait staff was very nice and attentive, not rushing us at all as we lingered over our meal. We had a lovely turnout with Chet, Dee (deecat) and her delightful daughter Jill; Rich (Riorich55) and a friend; Martin (mjb123) and Marie (Marisola).

Favorite Dish: I want to give Tre Kronor's food a better review, really I do, but the food that I tried was just so average, there's just nothing that I ate that would draw me back here again. Although we were there at lunchtime I decided to try a breakfast item, vanilla and orange French toast ($6.95). It was fine but certainly not something that I couldn't make at home. The only other dish I tried was my husband's reuben sandwich, it was good but not terribly Swedish. Jill said that the crab cake was very good and Dee reported that the Swedish pancakes were very good.

After reading the reviews on Yelp (someday I will remember to do this BEFORE I dine out), I probably just didn't order well, the reviews gush over the Belgian waffles and the maple pecan danish and the cinnamon rolls.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Tre Kronor Swedish Restaurant: A little bit of Sweden in Chicago

by deecat Updated Nov 15, 2009

Saturday, November 14, 2009, my daughter Jill and I attended a VT Lunch at Tre Kronor Swedish Restaurant on Chicago's North Side [see photo #4]. Attending this VT meet [the brainchild of yooperprof {Chet}] was Dabs [Kristi] and her husband David; Marisola [Marie]; MJB123 [Martin]; Riorich55 [Rich] and his friend Roz,and, of course, Chet!

Photographs 2 and 4 show those in attendance minus me [deecat]

How fortunate for us that it was an absolutely beautiful November afternoon. I took the train from Libertyville to the Forest Glen station where my daughter and her family met me. We spent time across the street from the depot at the Tot Lot playground where I was able to visit with my grandchildren, Sabrina Dee and Brandon Allan.

After taking the children home [less that a mile away from the depot], Jill and I drove to Tre Kronor on West Foster. Fortunately, we were able to find a free parking spot right beside the restaurant.
    We waited outside until most of the members had arrived. We were seated upstairs at a long table beside a front window with the bright November sun shining in to warm us.

Tre Kronor is a very basic restaurant with a small menu and offers breakfast at all times as well as a lunch and dinner menu.

The wait staff was quite efficient, helpful, and friendly. They accommodated all our numerous requests and let us order even before Chet arrive [a long ride on the Brown Line for him].

Favorite Dish: I love Swedish pancakes with lingon berries so that is what I ordered along with a delicious Cappuccino. See Photo #1 Two others ordered this also.

My daughter Jill ordered Baked Onion Soup and Crab Cakes [made with roasted red pepper sauce],and she was quite pleased See Photo #3 If I recall, Marie also had Crab Cakes and something else.

Roz and Kristi both ordered Vanilla and Orange French Toast which consisted of thick slices of "egg bread" with vanilla, orange, and cinnamon. It certainly was a large portion, but both finished their plates. Kristi told me that it was just OK.

Kristi's husband David seemed to enjoy his Reubenssen [made with cornbeef, sauerkraut and jarlsberg and served on limpa toast].

The Cappuccino and Swedish Coffee were good, and we were all so full that none of us ordered dessert.

The most fun for me was seeing all my VT friends, sharing this great time with my daughter, and meeting Roz [Rich's friend] for the first time.

Pannekaker [Swedish pancakes with Lingon Berries David, Kristi, Roz, and Martin at Tre Kronor Baked Onion Soup and Crab Cakes Chet, Jill, Marie, and Rich at Tre Kronor Tre Kronor Swedish Restaurant

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Tre Kronor: Quaint Neighborhood Swedish Restaurant

by riorich55 Written Nov 14, 2009

Gathered here in November, 2009 on a warm 60ish degree day with a few other VTers for a late afternoon lunch. Guest of honor and organizer Chet (Yooperprof) from Marquette, Michigan organized the event, but because of train delays was the last one there arriving about 45 minutes after our scheduled 1:30 p.m. time. The restaurant has two floors (we ate upstairs) and probably at one time was a private home. During the warmer months they have a good size outdoor area to the side and back of the restaurant. Parking is a little bit of a problem, but if you go down the side streets you may find some non paying parking spots.

Favorite Dish: I had the Reubenssen, cornbeef, sauerkraut and jarlsberg cheese on limpa toast with a side order of home made potatoes. Had a black cherry Swedish soda which was made in Spain. (go figure)

Entrance to Tre Kroner Reuben Sandwich with Potatoes
    • Seniors

• dlandt's Profile Photo

Tre Kronor (Swedish): Tre Kronor for breakfast (or Swedish)

by dlandt Updated Jul 9, 2003

Once upon a time, Foster Ave. was the home of Chicago's Swedish community in what we call Andersonville. Largely, however, the old Swedish things are gone. One holdover is the Tre Kronor, west of true Andersonville, but nevertheless, a good Swedish restaurant, particularly renowned for its breakfast, though they do serve the other meals as well.

Favorite Dish: Most people who go here go for the fruit and whipped cream pancakes and Belgian waffles. I myself like the sausages they serve and also think they do a good job on their omelettes. By reputation, they also have great danishes served fresh. They do serve lunch anbd dinner as well.

Instant Answers: Chicago