Stores, Malls or Markets in Chicago

cruising
    by machomikemd

Most Viewed Shopping in Chicago

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Elizabeth Grace Paperie & Gifts: Paper Products in Lincoln Park!

by BeatChick Updated Oct 11, 2011

Whenever I see the word "paperie" in a title, I am almost guaranteed to shop there! So here's a lovely little paperie in Lincoln Park in its lovely little building surrounded by other lovely places to shop (Seventy-Five Shoes, Molly's Cupcakes) all along Clark Street.

What to buy: TokyoMilk Perfume - purchased their heavenly Gin & Rosewater here.

Also picked up Buckeyballs for my science geek son.

Also to be found: Stationery, colorful custom wedding invitations, beautiful baby announcements

What to pay: $30 for the perfume, $35 for the Buckeyballs

Stationery, Cards & Gifts - Oh my!! Elizabeth Grace Paperie & Gifts Elizabeth Grace Paperie & Gifts
    • Luxury Travel

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Flora Confections & Pastries: Incredible confections!

by Bunsch Written Apr 25, 2011

At several farmers' markets in Chicagoland, you can find the artistic creations of Flora Lazar, whose pate de fruit look so beautiful -- shimmering squares of fruit gels in flavors like pear, plum, raspberry, and apple -- that people can't help but buy even before they get a taste of the sublime. Flora does make other things, but some of these can't be sold at the Green City Market because things like passionfruit can't be sourced locally, and the rules are that all ingredients must come from a 300-mile radius of the city. You can order them on-line, though.

Fine Wine Brokers: Outstanding selection of vintages

by Bunsch Updated Apr 17, 2011

So it was Christmas, or nearly, and while flying out to the Midwest, I happened to be reading an article in some magazine on an Austrian wine I'd never heard of before. I wanted to buy some cabernets and perhaps a nice port for the festivities, and my brother the Chicagoan suggested we try this small shop in Lincoln Square. My hopes frankly weren't very high, but I was totally wrong. Not only did they have an excellent assortment of interesting reds, and a delectable aged sherry, they even had the wine mentioned in the magazine (which turned out to be delicious Gruner Veldtliner).

Oh, and they have a wine club and wine classes...definitely worth a look.

Yes, it was fairly expensive, but they gave case discounts and we wound up walking out with two cases, plus. And yet it was all so good that by the time we flew back East (and it was not even the New Year), all that wine was gone. A good reason to return to Chicago!

What to pay: M-F Noon-7:30
    Sat 10-6:30
    Sun Noon-4:00

Hard to choose! (website photo)
    • Wine Tasting

Merz Apothecary: Superb assortment of European goods

by Bunsch Updated Apr 17, 2011

When I was growing up, pharmacies (some of which still bore the old title of apothecary) were not like the combination cosmetics counter-grocery-seasonal goods-photo shop-school supply emporia you see everywhere today. They were chiefly devoted to pharmaceuticals, first aid supplies, and various tinctures and other products for use on the body in some fashion. They had a particular smell to them. Eucalyptus? Lavender? And they have almost entirely disappeared, taking with them the goods which I thought one could now purchase only on-line through the Vermont Country Store or at Crabtree & Evelyn and that sort of high-end bath shop.

So what a delightful surprise it was to stumble upon Merz Apothecary! I was first drawn by the charming little children's soaps in the window. Ducks, Scotties (the dogs, not the hankies), even an array of African animals, all in exceptionally pure products for use on little bodies. Once in, I discovered the Merz was a treasure trove of bygone days, plus up-to-the-minute body care devices (oh, how I love those German cuticle scissors!), and a full range of North American, European, and even Indian herbal preparations. Browsing is such fun, though slightly dangerous as the aisles are very narrow to accommodate a wider range of goodies. Here's the best place to find unique things for Christmas stockings or Easter baskets. And if you happen to find something you love but can't get elsewhere, Merz does have an on-line presence and is happy to ship things to wherever you reside.

What to buy: I bring home soaps, mint tincture (try it in your water bottle -- but only a drop!), and whatever catches my fancy. Last Christmas, it was a variety of Continental cough-drops and they got me through a very challenging winter!

Merz publicity photos (not my pic)
    • Seniors
    • Spa and Resort

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Sam's Wines & Spirits: the Wine & Spirits leader

by MarioPortugal Updated Apr 4, 2011

Wines & Beer & Spirits from all over the World !!!

Sam's Wines and Spirits is the biggest wine retail shop in the whole US. Customers come from all over the State of Illinois and also from the neighbouring States such as Wisconsin (in the north), Indiana (in the east) and Michigan (east & then north).

I personally enjoy to visit this shop due to its vast beverage offer.

At Sam's, customers are likely to find wines from countries that one would not even considered as a wine-producing country !!!

The Beer and Spirits sections are also quite impressive.

The Port Wine section is one of the biggest I've ever seen in terms of Quantity and Quality. It's quite impressive as well.

On the picture for this Tip, shot in July 1999, my friends and I are holding a few bottles of Sandeman Port Wine.

Besides beverage, Sam's also displays an extensive offer of cheeses (Wine & Cheese = a perfect match) and sandwiches.

You may note that my personal 3-top must-visit landmarks in Chicago are Sam's Wines, Goose Island Brewery and Blue Chicago's 3 nightclubs.

Every time I go to Chicago, these are the 3 places I really do not want to miss :)...

What to buy: Fine wines and all types of beverage as well. Look also for the Cheese section.

Pedro Silva, Mario, Patricia Churro, Pedro Almeida
    • Wine Tasting
    • Business Travel

• dircelo's Profile Photo

Water Tower Place/Mall: leading brands

by dircelo Updated Apr 4, 2011

It contains many of the "leading high street brands" with a shop, such as fashion stores Banana Republic, Gap, Abercrombie & Fitch...but also department stores with a huge selection of shoes, cosmetica, fashion, some food, etc.

There is a big food court on the lower floors.

What to buy: The Abercrombie and Fitch store is quite huge.

What to pay: plenty.

fashion store entrance the building Take the express lift up and walk down
    • Study Abroad
    • Luxury Travel

• dircelo's Profile Photo

Tj Maxx / Filenes: never ending shopping story

by dircelo Updated Apr 4, 2011

It is the ultimate treat for people who think that they are bargain hunters for clothes, mens, womens, childrens, shoes etc.

Some people can spend hours in here. Located on two floors, the upper is TJ Maxx, the basement is Filenes.

Well why not buy it cheaply. But please look out for the little, sometimes not noticable mistakes, sometimes really striking...it even can become fashionable.

What to buy: Shoes, garnments, jackets, suits, underwear, socks!, frames, household and kitchen goodies etc.

What to pay: less than average

at the entrance store sample
    • Study Abroad

• ymike2000's Profile Photo

Hazel: Member of the "Gifts for Girlfriend" Hall of Fame

by ymike2000 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hazel is an awesome accessories consignment shop. Some of the female staff of the Old Town School of Folk Music steered me to it...it's a short walk away from the venue.

The owner of the shop is the also the only employee, so you're sure to get good service!

What to buy: It's pretty much all greeting cards/stationary, accessories (handbags, hats, etc) and handmade jewelry. I always like to support local artists and there was plenty of great stuff here to choose from.

• ChicagoGuy's Profile Photo

Belmont Army Surplus: NoT WhAt YoU ThInK

by ChicagoGuy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Do not be fooled by the name. This place has tons of unusual clothing for clubbing, hanging out, or the third world military strong man or woman.

What to buy: Trendy shoes, leather jackets, Chicago Police Jackets, wild shirts and pants, skateboard, dog tags, and hair dye.

What to pay: $15 - $300. Most stuff under $100.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Myopic Books: Looking for an Old Book? You May Find It Here!

by riorich55 Updated Mar 8, 2011

Having lived in the Chicago suburbs most of my life there are so many areas that I haven't seen or been to that when I get there it seems like I'm on a mini vacation even if it is less then 50 miles from my home.

I really had never spent any time in the part of Chicago called Wicker Park. Yes, I've probably driven through it not knowing what to call it, but last week when I visited a friend in Chicago I decided to spend a 1/2 day exploring a few areas of the city I hadn't been to.

One of the places I found was this bookstore. I love bookstores of any kind. New ones, old ones, big ones and small ones. This one fell into the old and big category dealing with mainly out of print books on 3 floors. They claim they have over 80,000 books and if you explore all 3 floors in this old building I think you will believe it.

What to buy: What to Buy! Books of course. A few days prior to my trip into the big city, my wife and I had heard a re-enactment of Theodore Roosevelt in a local library. One of the questions someone asked him at the end of his presentation was what books he would recommend about Teddy. Besides the very current Edmund Morris trilogy, he mentioned a book published in 1958 called The Seven Worlds of Theodore Roosevelt.

When I entered the store one of the clerks up high on the left (you'll have to stop in to the store to see what I mean by up high) asked if I needed any help. At first I said, no I was just browsing. After a few minutes of browsing I happened upon the History section and then remembered the re-enactment from the other day. I didn't any books on Theodore Roosevelt here, so I went back to the clerk and asked if they might have some. He took me down some old stairs to the basement and led me over to the Roosevelt section (3 shelves of books on Theodore and Franklin). And there it was.

What to pay: For under $10 I was now the proud owner of The Seven Worlds of Theodore Roosevelt.

I didn't check out the prices of any other books, but you could probably spend anywhere from a $1 to goodness knows what for a very rare book.

As Seen From the Other Side of the Street Downstairs

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Assorted Shops at Navy Pier: Navy Pier

by machomikemd Updated Nov 4, 2010

the Navy Pier is a shoppers delight if you are a shopper but if you are a cheapskate, this would be in the tourist trap pages hehehe! Navy Pier offers dining opportunities as diverse as Chicago itself! Dine at one of the fine restaurants or sample a variety of great tastes to be found at the food court in the Family Pavilion open year–round. Navy Pier's interesting mix of restaurants offers something for everyone so I indulged in binged eating that I ate at Billy Goat Tavern and at Charlie's Ale House (what a gluton hehehehe).

What to buy: From casual, family–oriented dining to romantic, candlelit evenings, the emphasis is on variety and excellent cuisine. You can also find everything from bikes to T–shirts to souvenirs to sunglasses at the retail shops in the Family Pavilion and along the Arcade. Featuring everything from cuddly stuffed animals to the latest fashion sunglasses, Navy Pier is the place to shop for a wide variety of unique specialty items and Chicago souvenirs. As For Me, I bought some souvenir items like the refrigerator magnets and shot glasses at $ 5.99 and $ 3.99 respectively.

Hours:
    Sunday - Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
    Friday & Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

What to pay: depends on your budget

to navy pier inside cheers souvenir inside cheers souvenir eating eating eating eating
    • Beer Tasting

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Target: Everything here!

by Marisola Updated Jun 13, 2010

Target is a store for everyone. They have everything here! Clothes, shoes, toys, games, books, music and movies, gifts, jewelry, home furnishings, even groceries! Depending upon the season, they always sell various holiday items: Christmas, Superbowl, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, 4th of July, etc.

What to buy: You can find Chicago sports t-shirts and sweatshirts here. My friend came to town to buy some things for her school in Japan. She bought books and games for the students. See photos.

What to pay: Target has a weekly ad with many sales. Prices are fair.

Stocked up! Looks like Christmas!
    • Work Abroad

• grayfo's Profile Photo

Macy's: The Magic of Macy’s

by grayfo Updated Sep 17, 2009

Macy’s is a chain of mid-to-high range American department stores; this is one of their Flagship stores. From 1924 until June 2009, the New York store was the world's largest department store.

Tuesday to Saturday: 10:00 am to 9:00 pm
    Sunday: 11:00 am to 8:00 pm
    Monday: 9.00 am to 9:00 pm

May 2009

What to buy: Clothing, footwear, bedding, furniture, jewellery, beauty products, and home-ware.

May 2009

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Pearl Art Supply: Paper Products & Art Supplies in River North!

by BeatChick Updated Jun 28, 2009

One of the things Mr. Connolly & I have long had in common is our mutual love of paper products & pens. In fact, early on in our relationship we styled ourselves "pen snobs" - LOL!

What to buy: Calligraphy pens, Pilot pens (extra fine black - difficult to find in our area of the world).

What to pay: We find the pens are cheaper - about $1.91 for the Pilot pens, calligraphy pens ($2.05), VBall fine pens ($1.91)

Pearl Art Supply Pearl Art Supply

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Uncle Fun: Novelty store in Lakeview

by Dabs Written Dec 30, 2008

How to describe the merchandise at Uncle Fun? What comes to mind is everything that you never knew you needed! Uncle Fun is a narrow shop filled with boxes and drawers and racks of novelties, gag gifts, toys I haven't seen since I was a kid, collectibles, posters, wacky books and greeting cards.

Back when my husband and I used to exchange Christmas and birthday gifts, he would make an semi annual sojourn up to Belmont to find me something that I never knew I needed. Our last visit was to take my niece up there, she had stopped by their Baltimore store and they said that the Chicago location would have exactly what she was looking for.

What to buy: Need some fake barf? A Count Chocula bobblehead? How about a rubber chicken? You're likely to find them at Uncle Fun. The merchandise in the store is constantly changing but it's always good for a laugh.

Uncle Fun at Uncle Fun

Hyatt Regency McCormick Place
Ambassador East, Omni
Chicago South Loop Hotel

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Chicago Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Chicago locals.
Map of Chicago