Baha'i Temple, Chicago

Outside
  • IrishFem's Profile Photo

House of Worship

by IrishFem Updated Jan 5, 2006

The Bahai Dome, located in Chicago. This place is magnificent, the dome is spectular. The dome was built in 1903. The Bahai faith is an independent world religion. It includes almost all nationalties, classes trades and professions, unites men and women of various religious and ethnic orgins. The Bahai faith believes that humanity is of one family created by god. It is a very peaceful place. The religon states that they want universal peace and for every man and women to be equal. Being inside gave me a chance to gather my thoughts together as l had just come from New York and witnessed the twin towers going down.

House of Worship
    • Religious Travel

• liusia's Profile Photo

Baha'i Temple

by liusia Written Sep 21, 2006

I haven't seen a religious building this imposing since leaving Russia. It's definitely worth a visit if you're in the area, whether or not you're a Baha'i seeker. It's open to the public. Fair warning: if you go into the lower level, dudes will try to proselytize you. They're really nice and all, but if you're not keen on that, I'd recommend sticking to the temple itself and staying out of the basement rooms.

Baha'i temple
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

• visit the Bahai temple in...

by chris_clyde Written Aug 24, 2002

visit the Bahai temple in Wilmette (northern suburb)
    The architecture (and grounds) are wonderful, plus you can get a good look at a quiet little suburb of the big city of Chicago. It's a completely different atmosphere.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Beautiful, Peaceful, Unpretentious

by bocmaxima Written Apr 8, 2012

Maybe it's my own issues, but going to religious sites, particularly in the US, is often pretty uncomfortable for me. The Mormon Temple in Salt Lake is always bad, and even with historic churches, I feel like I shouldn't be there. They feel cold to me.
    The Baha'i Temple, just north of the city in the quiet, wealthy, lakeside suburb of Wilmette, was not like that for me. It's peaceful, quiet and gave the impression that I was free to explore at my own pace and not have to worry about being bothered by someone trying to tell me about the faith.
    It's nice too because it's totally free, and it's easily accessible by public transit.
    A trip to Wilmette is usually on my list of things to do when I visit Chicago, because of the nice beach facilities they have, the wonderful and stately homes, and this temple.

Outside Outside The entrance

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Baha'i Temple
3.5 out of 5 stars