Shedd Aquarium, Chicago

by goodfish
  • goingsolo's Profile Photo

by goingsolo Updated Apr 4, 2011

Chicago

Of the 3 on museum campus, this seemed the most popular and the most crowded. It is called the world's largest indoor aquarium & it's supposed to have thousands of marine animals. The aquarium took in numerous sick and injured animals, including sea otters who were hurt after the Exxon Valdeez oil spill. There's an interesting exhibit about this unfortunatel incident here as well. While it was not my favorite, it got more interesting as I walked through.

On the 1st floor, you'll find the Carribean Coral Reef, which was the most crowded area of the aquarium. The large tanks are full of different tropical fish from around the world. The scope of areas covered was amazing in itself. It was tough to get close to the windows though. But the feeding show was pretty interesting. A diver swims around the tank and speaks through a microphone about the fish in that particular tank and their eating habits.

The next first floor exhibit- Amazon Rising- was equally crowded. Here you will find a re-creation of an amazon basin and yet more fish.

The whale a& dolphin tank was one of my favorites. You get to see the Beluga whales & dolphins up close both above the water and below. There was a feeding show going on here which I found interesting.

In the shark area, the tanks are designed so that the sharks swim next to & above you. Unfortunately, you don't get to get in the tanks and swim with the sharks, or even the dolphins, but it was still interesting to watch.

There was also a walk through exhibit on crabs, which probably doesn't sound that interesting. But the attention to detail & range of exhibits made it a place worth browsing through, if you want to learn more about the habitats of crabs and just how many kinds there are.

I probably missed one of the best parts of the aquarium by skipping the Oceanarium. This is one of those pay extra exhibits and one where there are shows at certain points in the day. I can't remember if it was included with the citipass, but being woefully short on time, I had to pass.

• bryINpoland's Profile Photo

by bryINpoland Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nadine and the Shed Aquarium

The John G. Shedd Aquarium, named after benafactor John Graves Shedd, was opened on Dec. 19, 1929. At that time, it was the largest aquarium in the world, with over a million gallons of salt water, that had to be shipped from Key west. Thats over 8 million pints of beer.

Today the John G. Shedd Aquarium is visited by 2 million visitors a year, who come to see the over 6,000 fishes, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and invertebrates of nearly 750 species, in 3 million gallons of salt water, held within 20,000 square yards of glass. Thats a whole bunch of figures and numbers to memorize, and there are plenty more figures and numbers at their officail website www.sheddaquarium.org.

There are a number of exhibits to see, some of the more popular ones being the Caribbean coral reefs, with its thousands of acres of fragile reefs, and hundreds of species of fish, that live within them. The Amazon, which puts you within the Amazon river, and the forest which surrounds it. Learn about the different seasons, and how they effect the life within the Amazon. Finally the Pacific rocky coasts exhibit which takes you into the waters off of California, all the way up to Alaska. See real life dolphins and whales within a 3 million gallon tank, that will blow your mind.

Over all the John G. Shedd Aquarium is a great place to learn about the deep blue sea, and what lives beneath its depths. I highly recommend it.

• School Holidays

• mntravler22's Profile Photo

Fish City

by mntravler22 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I've been to about 6 of these places and by far this is the biggest. Great family trip alittle bit for everyone's interest. Plan on spending about 3 to 4 hours in you take your time. Discounted for the military in uniform. A must see while your in Chicago, not far from some historical museums.

• queensgirl's Profile Photo

The Shedd Aquarium

by queensgirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Shedd Aquarium

I have been to alot of aquariums so this is like all the rest. You get a good view of the lake and the Chicago skyline though. I was here for an event which was nice. But I still recommend that you come.

• The Shedd Aquarium

by TRAVELCHICK29 Updated Apr 4, 2011

the Shedd Aquarium

Visit the largest indoor aquarium in the world! The Shedd aquarium features a wild variety of marine plants and animals and currently has a new exhibit on wild sharks and coral reef from the Philippines. Tickets are for $21. with discounts for seniors and children. The Shedd is one of the three museums in the Museum campus. The other three are the Adler Planetarium and the Field museum. Check the website or call for hours.

• angelaquarius's Profile Photo

by angelaquarius Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Shedd Aquarium is wonderful. I really enjoyed the marine life. What a beautiful "stadium" they have for the dolphins, etc. It is right on the lake and looks like the pool and the lake meet. Highly reccomend!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Karen in front of Shed Aquarium

When I was a kid living in East Tennessee, in 1960, my dad took me and two of my brothers to Chicago and the the favorite thing we saw was Shedd Aquarium. We were all awestruck - talked about it for years. Last summer my wife and I went back to Shedd - and we were awestruck again. There's a reason they call it "The World's Aquarium."

We've been to other newer aquariums which had acryllic walk-through underwater tunnels that Shedd can't match. But the one thing Shedd has that the others don't is the Oceanarium, and that's been added since I was young. This 3 million gallon marine mammal pavilion is the world's largest. To us it was definitely the highlight of our visit. The beluga whales, white-sided dolphins and other amazing creatures had us open mouthed and gasping with delight.

We were there on a summer weekend when the line was VERY long. We went back again on a Sunday in early autumn, and there was hardly any line at all.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Talk to the Beluga at the John G Shedd Aquarium

by aussiedoug Updated Apr 4, 2011

Talking with the Beluga

Over 6 different trips to the U.S. I/we have visited 5 different aquariums and this is my second favourite after the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

BUT....., it does have something that my No 1 aquarium doesn't have. Check the piccie beside this tip & yes folks you've hit it in one! The one & only, incomparable BELUGA whale. Just magical animals they are, the only cetaceans that can move their heads because of their necks. Now don't ask me to explain it technically because I'm a mere generalist educator not a specialist in ocean marine mammal life (would like to be mind you!). I swear that the beluga there was talking to me & I was trying to impress the attractive American lady beside me by talking back to it (and my wife wasn't too far away! LOL!). Seriously, I would go to the Shedd again knowing there's a Beluga there, but it is worthwhile visiting in it's own right.

Set in a beautiful building of it's own (see my Chicago travelogue for a photo of the front view), reminding me a little of our Art Gallery of New South Wales in Sydney(see my 2nd Sydney must see tip), it seems very modern inside.

It boasts of being the largest indoor aquarium in the world, but is still easily navigable even by the directionally/visuall spatially challenged such as myself.

With something like 8 000 animal exhibits & extremely interesting exhibits of different aquatic habitats & their denizens it is a definite MUST SEE if you are planning a visit to Chicago.

Lastly, check out their website. I've only had a perfuctory squizz at a bit of it & it looks real good!

• CTnightowl's Profile Photo

Shedd Aquarium is awesome!

by CTnightowl Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is one of the greatest aquariums in the world! Huge. Definately worth the price of admission. The aquarium is setup nice. I beleive there are 4 other museums in the same complex. Each museum takes the better part of a day to explore.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

by rmdw Updated Apr 4, 2011

The main pool at the Shedd Aquarium

Chicago's Shedd Aquarium has a magnificent display of aquatic animals. It's divided up into different displays featuing different sets of underwater creatures.

Located southeast of downtown Chicago, it's south of the Field Museum and right near the Adler Planetarium.

• Eco-Tourism

• s_odyssey's Profile Photo

Fishy Premises

by s_odyssey Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Shedd Aquarium

I have always loved aquariums, so my opinion is bias.

To avoid traffic, we were there at 9 am when the doors opened, and what a pleasure it was to walk in and find a jewel in front of you.

The initial tank you get to see is just superb; all those famous carribean fish in one go, including my favourite, the blow fish.

Once you make your way downstairs using the elevators (you should go early, there was a huge lineup on our way out), there are all sorts of eye catchers. From the tiny, delicate anemone to colorful vibrant angels and trunks, I was quite impressed.

The most captivating was the size of the shark tank. It took a while to realize how big it was,when a huge shark would disappear from your eye view, and then see a few minutes later.

Another part of the tour was enjoying ''the fishes from around the world'' on the main floor. I am a diver and I loved the idea of getting a feel to what fishes can be seen in areas where you would never think of taking your scuba gear with you.

The picture I posted has a story behind it, that lil african fellow did not enjoy my imitations of him, because when I started opening my mouth, he came right for me.

$21/adult (they also offer family packages)

• Hosell's Profile Photo

by Hosell Updated Apr 4, 2011

Next to Field Museum,another interest option,can see visit one of largest Aquariums in world. Sometimes you have to wait in a long line to get the tickets as you can see on my picture.
    Also next to the Aquarium,you can get a taxi-boat at Michigan Lake to go to Navy Pier.

• Shedd Aquarium - one of the best in the World!

by Quillinglady Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Dolphins having fun!

Very large aquarium in a beautiful setting. If visiting here, allow yourself several hours. They have great dolphin shows, also they have Beluga Whales here & penguins. Lots more to do and see, you won't be disappointed.

When I visited back in 1988 they had a exhibition entitled "Seahorse Symphony" - they are really fascinating to watch and I didn't realise how many different kinds of seahorses there are.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

by TRimer Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Dolphin Show

See the dolphins, sharks and other sea creatures at the Shedd Aquarium.

The world's largest indoor aquarium, the Shedd Aquarium offers experiences from awe-inspiring whales, frolicking sea otters and lively penguins, to streamlined sharks, beluga whales, exotic eels and more than 8,000 amazing animals representing 650 species.

The aquarium is open from 9am to 5pm every day. Best time to visit is Wednesdays (less crowded).

The Wild Reef exhibit is fantastic. The large tank with sharks that actually swim overhead so you feel like you are in the tank with the fish. One new exhibit to check out is that of the Grand Island Blue Igana. The world's most endangered lizard, Shedd's blue iguanas have lived behind the scenes since 1998 and are part of a breeding program. Through the new exhibit, guests not only get a rare opportunity to see these endangered iguanas up close.

Admission to both the aquarium and oceanarium is:
    Adults (12-64): $23 ($17 for Chicago residents)
    Children (3-11): $16
    Senior Citizens (65 and over): $16
    Children 2 and under: FREE
    Thursdays admission to the aquarium is free.

Tip: To avoid lines, consider purchasing VIP Tickets in advance. It is either $27/$25 depending on the time of year and requires purchasing a week or two in advance. To find out more email viptickets@sheddaquarium.org.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

John Shedd Aquarium

by hunterV Updated Aug 11, 2010

A Dolphin Show @ Shedd Aquarium

This place is the newest and the most impressive in the Museum Campus Chicago I think.
    I just cannot forget the dolphin show!
    The Aquarium, presentations, shows, the Caribbean coral reef exhibition - all this will bring you face to face with the aquatic animals of our world.
    I think we spent half of the day there and still wanted to stay more...

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Chicago

Comments

Hotels Near Shedd Aquarium
3.0 out of 5 stars