Driving/Parking, Chicago

Know about this? Rate It!

• Driving/Parking
    by LoriPori
    a tollway
    by machomikemd
    traffic
    by machomikemd
  • Tolls galore

by kelhan Written Apr 17, 2008

Yes, there are a lot of freeways around and in Chicago. And they have tolls on them every few kilometres! For my family to pick me up and drop me off at the airport, they paid about $12 US. Make sure you have lots of coins in the car, cos some of them only accept correct coin change.

• Cool, helpful parking map

by ParkingGuy Written Mar 17, 2008

There's a really great interactive website that I use called www.chicagoparkingmap.com

You just type in your destination and an area map showing all the nearby parking pops up. Then you can click on the desired garage and it will display the exact address, website, phone number, and entrances/exits.

Definitely saves time, energy, and stress. Check it out!

Kennedy Express (I-90-94)

by Toughluck Updated Oct 25, 2007

Chicago has named it's freeways. When listening to traffic reports, they use the names because it helps identify which part of the interstate is involved.

John F. Kennedy Expressway
    This is I-90 and I-94 on the northwest side. It runs from downtown out to O'Hare International Airport. The only major connector is the Edens Expressway (I-94), which runs north from the Kennedy to join the Tri-State Tollway (I-294).

Edens Expressway (I-94)

Edens Expressway
    This is I-94 running from the Kennedy north. It provide access to the north side suburbs of Skokie, Morton Grove, Glenview, Wilmette, Winnetka, and Northbrook. To continue northward to Highland Park, Lake Forest, or Waukegan, use US 41 or I-94 as the Tristate Tollway.

I-94 continues south into Chicago as the Kennedy Expressway.
    I-94 continues north towards Milwaukee, Wisconsin as the Tristate Tollway.

Tristate Tollway (I-294)

Tristate Tollway
    This is I-294 around the west side of the City. It begins down south on the Kingery Expressway, I-80-294 outside Lansing and Harvey. It turns north around the city service Oaklawn, Burbank and then crossing the Des Plaines River and meeting I-55 (5bStevenson Expressway). It continues northward pass Hinsdale, Westchester to Elmhurst and I-290 (Eisenhower Expressway) and I-88 (East-West Tollway). Swinging a bit east around O'Hare International Airport, it crosses I-90 as it changes from the Northwest Tollway into the Kennedy Expressway. Running still northward through the northern/northwestern suburbs, it serves Park Ridge, Niles, and Des Plaines. In Northbrook, it joins with I-94 (Edens Expressway) and drops the I-294 designation for the I-94 title. From there it runs to the Wisconsin border.

Chicago Skyway (I-90)

Chicago Skyway
    This is I-90 running from the Dan Ryan into Indiana and linking with the Indiana Tollway (I-90). The Skyway is a huge viaduct/bridge. From west of the bridge over the Calumet River, you can only enter the skyway going east and exit it from the westbound lanes. The reverse is true once you cross to the east of the bridge. You can only exit going east and enter into the west bound lanes.

The skyway was built to move traffice into Chicago and out of Chicago. There is no service for short runs along the route.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Dwight D. Eisenhower Expressway (I-290)

Dwight D. Eisenhower Expressway
    This is I-290 running west of Chicago. It runs from from downtown, as Congress Parkway, westward towards the western suburbs of Maywood, Elmhurst, and Lombard. The Eisenhower ends at the Tristate Tollway (I-294). I-290 continues west around the south and west side of O'Hare International Airport to join with the Northwest Tollway (I-90).

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90-94)

Dan Ryan Expressway
    This is I-90 and I-94 on the south side. It runs from downtown to the split at 95th Street into the Calumet Expressway (I-94) and I-57. There is a major branch where I-90 turns eastward to Indiana on the Chicago Skyway. The Skyway is a toll road, but skips over a chunk of the city.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Adlai E. Stevenson Expressway (I-55)

Adlai E. Stevenson Expressway
    This is I-55 on the southwest side of town. It runs from the Dan Ryan/Lakeshore Drive/Downtown interchange (it's a high bridge intersection), southwest along the Sanitary Ship Canal to the Tristate Tollway. The Stevenson ends at the Tristate, but I-55 continues southwest to Joliet.

I-55 continues southward through Illinois to Springfield.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Chicago Rush Hour

by yooperprof Written Sep 1, 2007

it's moving along nicely today

Gee isn't is peculiar how many of the cars in this picture have just one passenger in them?

Chicago's highways have prolonged "rush hours" - in fact, heavy traffic can strike at virtually any time (except perhaps the dead of night.) I have personally experienced bumper to bumper traffic on the Kennedy "Expressway" at midnight on a Wednesday.

If you're driving in Chicago, give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination - and drive aggressively but smart!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Parking on North Michigan Avenue

by Dabs Updated Apr 17, 2007

Street parking near the shopping area on North Michigan Avenue is nearly impossible. When we go in the evening we either park at 900 N. Michigan where the have validation with a $5 purchase. The parking with validation is $6, $21 without validation. If nothing else, there is a bookstore in the mall where you can go buy a cheap book.

2007 update, I found the Sterling Self Park on Kinzie between LaSalle and Clark recently, after 3 pm and on the weekends it's $8.

Prices are subject to change, check the signs before you pull into the garage.

• Florida999's Profile Photo

Parking Downtown Chicago

by Florida999 Written Oct 5, 2006

Chicago is the first large city I have ever had to park in where it was very easy to do so. The city planners did a great job providing parking garages all over downtown.
    We had no problem at all finding a parking garage, getting a space in one, or figuring out how to pay. Very well thought out. It was $14 per day, but, compared to the hassle of parking in other cities, I would say it was worth it.

Hire A Hummer

by IrishFem Updated Feb 10, 2006

Hummer

Thats excactly what we did. Well actually got a loan of a Hummer for a few days. I have never driven a tank before but it felt like it was a tank l was driving. The Hummer would not fit into my garage at home it was so big, and its amazing the way other cars get off the road when your driving this huge tank. I enjoyed the experience.

For Sunny Days

by IrishFem Updated Jun 16, 2005

Red Head

A must for when the sun is out. Coming from Dublin we don't get to use cars like this very often so l took the opportunity to borrow this car to see what it was like. Great if your used to the sun but l burned the head off myself... Lucky my hair is red, no one noticed. Ah the pain of it all... won't forget sunscreen again.

Big cars in this City

by IrishFem Updated Jun 16, 2005

Driving in Chicago is a bit scary if your anyway nervous. The rules of the road slightly differ to the rules in my country. For example the "Chicago Left". Basically you can turn left on a red unless a sign states not to do so. I found it cool to crash a red light but you do need eyes in the back of your head because Chicagoans drive very fast and change lanes at high speed.

• Luxury Travel