Driving/Parking, Chicago

Know about this? Rate It!

• Driving/Parking
    by LoriPori
    to chicago
    by machomikemd
    a tollway
    by machomikemd

No More Free Parking

by riorich55 Written May 16, 2009

It was just announced today (May 16th, 2009) that the last of the free parking in various spots near the Lake were now going to cost about $1 per hour to park.

Several months ago the City of Chicago privatized their parking meters around town and since then it costs more to park even at the spots with meters, if you are even lucky enough to find one.

The picture in this tip is one of the new parking meters. At least they take credit cards so you don't have to wear a hole in your pocket carrying your piggy banks worth of quarters.

Be sure to get the timed receipt after you put your money in and place it the driver's side window.

Feed Me Feed Me

AviStar Offsite Parking

by riorich55 Updated Apr 23, 2009

In Chicago as well as other cities across the United States there are a number of offsite parking options which will save you travel dollars.

On our most recent trip for 5 days to Las Vegas I parked our vehicle at an AviStar lot. They offer both covered or non-corvered parking. You will pay more for covered parking, but if you leave a car there in the Chicago winter it is worth the couple of extra dollars per day. AviStar's are a chain and located at a number of major US airports.

Do an internet search before you go to check on coupons and pre-pay options. Using both the coupon and pre-pay (which makes it quicker when you pick up your vehicle) we ended up paying about $8.00 per day which included all fees and taxes (these are often never listed with the initial price.)

Usually a little walk to where a shuttle picks you up at the airport and you are typically back at your car within 5 to 12 minutes after you leave the airport.

• Business Travel

• Tolls galore

by kelhan Written Apr 17, 2008

Yes, there are a lot of freeways around and in Chicago. And they have tolls on them every few kilometres! For my family to pick me up and drop me off at the airport, they paid about $12 US. Make sure you have lots of coins in the car, cos some of them only accept correct coin change.

Lake Shore Drive

by riorich55 Written Mar 31, 2008

Driving along Chicago's Lake Shore Drive, especially on a nice spring, summer or fall day and you will see sail boats on the Lake, people running, jogging, biking and skating along the Lakefont. Do yourself a favor, after you drive the LSD get out and walk by the Lake yourself to get the true beauty of our magnificent lake front.

Lake Shore Drive Looking East at Field Museum Looking toward the city from Lake Shore Drive
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Museum Visits

• Cool, helpful parking map

by ParkingGuy Written Mar 17, 2008

There's a really great interactive website that I use called www.chicagoparkingmap.com

You just type in your destination and an area map showing all the nearby parking pops up. Then you can click on the desired garage and it will display the exact address, website, phone number, and entrances/exits.

Definitely saves time, energy, and stress. Check it out!

Kennedy Express (I-90-94)

by Toughluck Updated Oct 25, 2007

Chicago has named it's freeways. When listening to traffic reports, they use the names because it helps identify which part of the interstate is involved.

John F. Kennedy Expressway
    This is I-90 and I-94 on the northwest side. It runs from downtown out to O'Hare International Airport. The only major connector is the Edens Expressway (I-94), which runs north from the Kennedy to join the Tri-State Tollway (I-294).

Edens Expressway (I-94)

Edens Expressway
    This is I-94 running from the Kennedy north. It provide access to the north side suburbs of Skokie, Morton Grove, Glenview, Wilmette, Winnetka, and Northbrook. To continue northward to Highland Park, Lake Forest, or Waukegan, use US 41 or I-94 as the Tristate Tollway.

I-94 continues south into Chicago as the Kennedy Expressway.
    I-94 continues north towards Milwaukee, Wisconsin as the Tristate Tollway.

Tristate Tollway (I-294)

Tristate Tollway
    This is I-294 around the west side of the City. It begins down south on the Kingery Expressway, I-80-294 outside Lansing and Harvey. It turns north around the city service Oaklawn, Burbank and then crossing the Des Plaines River and meeting I-55 (5bStevenson Expressway). It continues northward pass Hinsdale, Westchester to Elmhurst and I-290 (Eisenhower Expressway) and I-88 (East-West Tollway). Swinging a bit east around O'Hare International Airport, it crosses I-90 as it changes from the Northwest Tollway into the Kennedy Expressway. Running still northward through the northern/northwestern suburbs, it serves Park Ridge, Niles, and Des Plaines. In Northbrook, it joins with I-94 (Edens Expressway) and drops the I-294 designation for the I-94 title. From there it runs to the Wisconsin border.

Chicago Skyway (I-90)

Chicago Skyway
    This is I-90 running from the Dan Ryan into Indiana and linking with the Indiana Tollway (I-90). The Skyway is a huge viaduct/bridge. From west of the bridge over the Calumet River, you can only enter the skyway going east and exit it from the westbound lanes. The reverse is true once you cross to the east of the bridge. You can only exit going east and enter into the west bound lanes.

The skyway was built to move traffice into Chicago and out of Chicago. There is no service for short runs along the route.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Dwight D. Eisenhower Expressway (I-290)

Dwight D. Eisenhower Expressway
    This is I-290 running west of Chicago. It runs from from downtown, as Congress Parkway, westward towards the western suburbs of Maywood, Elmhurst, and Lombard. The Eisenhower ends at the Tristate Tollway (I-294). I-290 continues west around the south and west side of O'Hare International Airport to join with the Northwest Tollway (I-90).

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90-94)

Dan Ryan Expressway
    This is I-90 and I-94 on the south side. It runs from downtown to the split at 95th Street into the Calumet Expressway (I-94) and I-57. There is a major branch where I-90 turns eastward to Indiana on the Chicago Skyway. The Skyway is a toll road, but skips over a chunk of the city.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Adlai E. Stevenson Expressway (I-55)

Adlai E. Stevenson Expressway
    This is I-55 on the southwest side of town. It runs from the Dan Ryan/Lakeshore Drive/Downtown interchange (it's a high bridge intersection), southwest along the Sanitary Ship Canal to the Tristate Tollway. The Stevenson ends at the Tristate, but I-55 continues southwest to Joliet.

I-55 continues southward through Illinois to Springfield.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Chicago Rush Hour

by yooperprof Written Sep 1, 2007

Gee isn't is peculiar how many of the cars in this picture have just one passenger in them?

Chicago's highways have prolonged "rush hours" - in fact, heavy traffic can strike at virtually any time (except perhaps the dead of night.) I have personally experienced bumper to bumper traffic on the Kennedy "Expressway" at midnight on a Wednesday.

If you're driving in Chicago, give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination - and drive aggressively but smart!

it's moving along nicely today

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Parking on North Michigan Avenue

by Dabs Updated Apr 17, 2007

Street parking near the shopping area on North Michigan Avenue is nearly impossible. When we go in the evening we either park at 900 N. Michigan where the have validation with a $5 purchase. The parking with validation is $6, $21 without validation. If nothing else, there is a bookstore in the mall where you can go buy a cheap book.

2007 update, I found the Sterling Self Park on Kinzie between LaSalle and Clark recently, after 3 pm and on the weekends it's $8.

Prices are subject to change, check the signs before you pull into the garage.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Driving from Indy to Chicago

by staindesign Written Oct 6, 2006

I was thinking that maybe people are traveling from city to city. If so, if you are coming or going to chicago from Indianapolis the best route is I-65 (N or S, depending on your destination) and then taking I-90/I-94. If you are not from Chicago and you are planning to drive there, always stay on the left, you can always get to your exit. For example say you need 51C but you are at 53a, don't worry stay on the left in the express lane, you will be thankful later that you did so!

Also traveling either to chicago or to Indianapolis, to pass all of the tolls it will cost you $3.15. There is a 15¢ toll, a 50¢, and a $2.50 toll.

toll road