Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system), Chicago

630 W HARRISON ST (312) 408-5800

Know about this? Rate It!

• The forlorn passengers left with me in parking lot
    The forlorn passengers left with me in...
    5 P.M. bus from Ann Arbor to Chicago
    by catherinef10
  • Bus driver who refused to give me his name
    Bus driver who refused to give me his...
  • Megabus is terrible

by markgr Written Jul 11, 2012

On the 11 trips me and my friend have accumulated, one was 3 hours late to the destination and another was 5 hours late. Both were due to mechanical problems with the bus. We contacted customer service and were promised a refund but after 5 more calls and a broken promise to us this has not yet happened.

Also do not expect the WiFi to work, despite what they say on their website.

Summed up: In our experience their customer service is crap, the buses are frequently late, and their promises mean nothing.

• MEGABUS SUCKS

by bmoney99 Written Oct 8, 2011

If you enjoy being *** raped by anonymous forces that hide behind a thin veil of customer service than MEGABUS is for you. I am speaking particularly about the DC to Philly route, but it is all the same. And by the way, this company is a piece of ***.

• catherinef10's Profile Photo

Abandoned in Ann Arbor

by catherinef10 Updated Oct 25, 2010

5 P.M. bus from Ann Arbor to Chicago

I booked a return trip from Chicago to Ann Arbor on megabus. on the 11th. of August I was actually going to Toronto, Canada but I thought it a good idea to take the bus half-way and drive a rental car the remainder. I booked on-line a month in advance & printed my ticket and was delighted that the return fare was only $28. The bus left Chicago Union Station right on time despite a heated quarrel with a passenger whose luggage was refused because it was too big. That was the best half of the journey.
    On the return journey I had my luggage loaded, and when I tried to board the bus the driver informed me that my reservation was not on the list (a piece of paper that he was holding in his hand). I showed him my ticket but that didn't matter as he insisted that my confirmation was not on his list. He said that I would have to call customer service and re-book. I had lost my cell phone in Canada & couldn't call. However there were 3 other passengers in the same situation desperately trying to reach customer service who were still on hold after 45 minutes. One couple had to hook up in Chicago with a connecting train to Jackson, Mississippi. The other reject was a young girl who had a similar experience earlier in the day and had actually been re-assigned by customer service to this bus. After an unsuccessful hour of desperate tearful negotiating during which the passengers begged the driver to let us on the bus and I offered to pay anew (he couldn't accept payment), the driver unloaded our luggage and drove off leaving us stranded in a college parking lot in Ann Arbor. I am a senior citizen and I had never been in Ann Arbor before. I had no knowledge of the city but the young girl showed me where to find a city bus and after taking 2 buses I arrived at the Amtrak station 15 minutes before the last train left for Chicago. I arrived in Chicago at 11 P.M. where my friend who was meeting me had waited for 2 hours. The explanation that Megabus gave was that my reservation had been RELEASED. They didn't know how or by whom. It definitely wasn't by me as I had never called them before yesterday. They refunded me $28 and said they were sorry. That was very little re-imbursement for the nightmare I experienced. Never Again.

• Marisola's Profile Photo

All Around the USA by Bus!

by Marisola Updated Jun 25, 2010
    Greyhound Station Near Sears Tower

Greyhound is a bus system with more than 2,300 destinations around the US! Check their website for where you are in the states (or where you'll be), and you can travel from there to almost anywhere! Check out their deals and discounts for special deals.

• Study Abroad

• Megabus

by Georges34 Written Jun 5, 2009

I've taken the Megabus in the Northeast but not in the Midwest. It has been pretty good, much better than the Chinatown bus companies, and about comparable to Bolt Bus.

• Megabus

by ajyoung2 Updated Oct 30, 2008

I have traveled Megabus a handful of times, mostly between Chicago and Minneapolis. My experiences have been varied. I have consistently found Megabus to be the cheapest option, and it scores points for convenience. Reservations can't be refunded, but they can be rescheduled for $1. I also think Megabus attracts a lower percentage of lowlife passengers than Greyhound, perhaps due to only online booking. As other reviewers mentioned, you trade some comforts for the lower price: there is no station to wait in, and without any support staff the loading and ticket checking is very slow. In my experience the bus almost always got a late start, though sometimes we made up the deficit en route.

I was satisfied with Megabus until my most recent trip on June 29, 2008, which I would like to describe in more detail. Half way from Minneapolis to Chicago, near Madison, we had a rest stop at a gas station. As we were leaving, the driver turned away from the curb too sharply, swinging the back of the bus into the building. An awning smashed one of the rear windows, luckily no one was hurt. The driver called in the accident and told us a replacement bus would arrive in 1.5 hours. When passengers asked for an update an hour later the driver told us he was not in contact with dispatch and we should call customer service. Once every half hour someone would call customer service and be assured that a bus was en route and would arrive in 20-30 minutes. This went on for 6 hours before a bus arrived. We arrived in Chicago 7 hours late. I was never offered a refund, or even an apology. This was, of course, an isolated incident and it is not my intent to smear Megabus. However, it did raise some questions for me. Does a Megabus driver receive the same level of training and have similar experience to a Greyhound driver? Given the atrocious management of our incident, can I be confident that Megabus headquarters is sufficiently prepared to handle a truly serious incident, for example an accident with injuries? I am inclined in the future to choose an alternative service, taking into consideration more factors than simply the lowest price.

• BE AWARE

by be-aware Written Jul 16, 2008

BE AWARE:

If you buy tickets for 2 passengers:

EVEN THOUGH you get two confirmation numbers... 81/82####, they CANNOT change one reservation without the other. So, if you buy two tickets and one of you can't make it last minute... you are SCREWED. You can change both or just suck it up and pay double.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Megabus

by BeatChick Updated May 18, 2008
    Megabus Chicago

I used Megabus early March to get from Cincy to Chicago. It was fine getting there; unfortunately, on the way back we were met with a heavy snowstorm (it may have even been classified as a blizzard). This was the maiden voyage for our driver from Chicago to Cincinnati (she'd driven other routes but not this one). She was a complete professional! We arrived late downtown Cincinnati but we arrived in one piece.

It was a pretty good experience overall. I met several different types of people on the bus, from college students to a corporate exec who lives in Cincinnati and works in Chicago (uses the inexpensive Megabus as transport to & fro). Very interesting people, overall, and conversations with them helped to pass the time.

The only thing I found a bit disturbing was the attitude of the Union Station in Chicago. I meant to take photos (and I probably will this upcoming trip) of their posters put up at various entrance points basically making Megabus users feel profoundly unwelcome (see photo #4). Fortunately, I'm a rebel, said "posters be d****d" and camped out inside during the cold weather. :D

The stop for the Megabus is at the Main Entrance to Union Station across the street from the beautiful art deco entrance (see photos #2, #5)

I also just came back froma trip to St. Louis where I took the Megabus from Cincy to Chicago, then from Chicago to St. Louis and back the same way (well, only backwards).

They have 3 areas they cover:
    Midwest - Chicago is the hub center with destinations as far north as Minneapolis/St Paul, as far west as Kansas City, Mo, as far south as Memphis, TN, and as far east as Cleveland, OH
    Northeast - NYC is the hub center for this region and goes as far north & east as Boston, as far west as Toronto, ON, as far south as Baltimore, MD
    West Coast - the hub center here seems to be LA and goes as far east as Vegas, as far north as Oakland (where I hail from), and as far south as San Diego/San Ysidro

The only problem with Megabus is that none of these regions intersect. For instance you can go as far north & east in the midwest to Cleveland but you won't be able to go from there to the North East to get to say, NYC.

Be forewarned: Union Station's luggage lockers are emptied at midnight! I called ahead of time to find out & because I wasn't staying overnight was forced to bring just a few things in a carryon bag (one I bought at the BHV in Paris - thanks, madaboutparis!)

Photos: May 14, 2008

• Singles

• megabus Minneapolis to Chicago

by tjim Written Apr 28, 2008

cold angry Megabus passengers wait for Megabus

My wife and I used the Megabus to travel from Minneapolis to Chicago and back on the weekend of 4/25/08. The bus started 15 minutes late in Minneapolis and one hour and 15 minutes late in Chicago. No explainations were given. In Chicago, it was windy and 40 degrees. Union Station does not allow Megabus passengers to wait inside, so we waited in the cold. The driver on the Chicago to Mpls return trip ("W. Brown"), made the passengers load their own luggage (a real mess), played his personal music loud enough for all of us to hear throughout the trip, and drove one-handed for over an hour while he had a loud, profane phone conversation with a friend. Even though we were sitting 8 seats back on the upper deck, we could clearly hear the lyrics of his music and the content of his phone call. He also made two unscheduled stops, (a rest stop and a truck stop), where the passengers were kept on the bus. At these stops, he disappeared, offering no explaination. When we finally arrived in Minneapolis, he opened the door to the luggage compartment and stood back. Someone looked at the disorganized heap of bags piled in the luggage compartment and asked him, "how can I find my bag?" and his answer was, "ya gotta dig". One by one, the passengers crawled in and tried to find their bags. It took a considerable amount of time. If you really need to save money, Megabus is an option, but be prepared for terrible service, totaly disregard for the posted schedule, and crazy drivers.

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

MegaBus review

by sunshine9689 Updated Aug 13, 2007

Chicago MegaBus pick up location. 2007

Prices: Megabus.com one-way fares start at $1. Fares vary by reservation date, day of travel and demand for seats. A 50ยข fee is charged for all reservations. Part of the reason ticket prices are low is because there are no terminals.

The earliest you can purchase is 1.5 months in advance.

Boarding: Passengers should be at the station 15 minutes before departure. Seats are not assigned: first come, first serve.

MB pick up location in Chicago is outside Union Station (225 S Canal St) on the East side of Canal Street. (see picture #1).
    ___
    I actually had to go through the booking process twice. 1st time the transaction did not go through entirely - I got only a Card Transaction confirmation. I think it had to do with me using Safari browser.
    Not knowing anything about MegaBus procedure, I presumed it was OK, but when few days later I still had not gotten any Reservation confirmation and my inquiry e-mails remained unanswered, I did it all over again. This time I received both: Card Transaction confirmation and Reservation confirmation in my e-mail. That is how it is supposed to be.

I ended up being billed twice and it took me 10 days to finally speak with someone who promised to refund me the money. First few times when I called, agents were not able to help me, were quite indifferent and kept telling I must speak with a manager (whom I never had a pleasure to talk to). I also was on hold for 50 minutes once and then redirected to a voice mail!!! :((((((((

Payed $40.50 for return ticket Chicago-Detroit (bought 15 days in advance). Greyhound bus would of cost me $30 more.

Official duration of my trip was 5h 40min. It was exactly that much on the way to Detroit but on the way back it actually took 6 hours.
    Buses were not new but pretty comfortable.
    They were also late both times: 30 minutes late in Chicago and 5 in Detroit.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Megabus

by Dabs Updated May 27, 2006

I first heard about Megabus when I was visiting the UK, I couldn't believe the low, low, fares that they were advertising for bus travel in the UK! Megabus in the US works pretty much the same way, a certain number of seats sell for as low as $1 for a one way ticket so the earlier you book, the more likely you will find those low, low fares. Even if you don't snag one of the $1 seats, the fares are still reasonable. My VT friend Jen (coair13) was the 1st person I know to use Megabus, she paid $30 round trip to get to Chicago from Cleveland, cheaper than driving with the high gas costs and parking in Chicago.

The routes are pretty limited, as least right now, and serves only the following midwestern US cities: Chicago, Cinncinati, Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul and St. Louis. But if you are traveling between those cities,I think this is a terrific, affordable option for travel that really takes not much longer than driving yourself.

There was a recent article in the Chicago Tribune comparing Megabus to Greyhound and Megabus came out on top for price and length of trip (less stops), level of comfort was about the same. Greyhound's advantages include more routes and you can book over the phone or at the bus station and currently Megabus can only be booked online.

The bus stop in Chicago is near Union Station, not at the Greyhound Station. One of the ways Megabus stays so cheap is because they don't have ticket personnel or the upkeep of a bus station.

Instant Answers: Chicago

• Dec 16, 2012 at 5:33 PM

#Megabus is the worst bus service, EVER.

Every time I rode Megabus from Washington, D.C. to Hampton, VA and back, it was late. When I say late, I don't mean five or ten minutes. I'm talking at least an hour. The last time I rode Megabus, I was leaving Hampton, VA to go back to Washington, D.C. The bus didn't leave because the bus driver couldn't get it backed out. There was something mechanically wrong with the bus and the bus driver attempted to "reset it," but a new bus didn't come for hours later. If you care to read my correspondence with Megabus customer service below, it's always the same thing, "we apologize for the delayed response," blah, blah, blah.

Unless you have zero regard for your time, I highly recommend you not take Megabus.

Chris

-------------------------------------

Dear Christopher,

We apologize for the delayed response. In regards to your inquiry, while we deeply regret the service disruptions that have affected your previous trips, there are unfortunately unforeseen issues that can occur and cause subsequent delays. Of course, Megabus.com aims to provide our clients with affordable, dependable, and quality service expected and so we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Thank you for using Megabus.com, your patronage is important to us.

Sincerely,

-------------------------------------

12/11/2012 09:22 PM
    Subject: Every MegaBus experience is awful

To whom it may concern:

I continue to have the worst possible experience with MegaBus. You'll see from the below email trail that I have had on-going issues with your service, EVERY TIME I have used it. Because of these issues, I lose time and money. When I purchase a service, I expect to receive the service I pay for (perhaps I'm expecting too much). Nonetheless, some people have schedules and places to be. We cannot afford for buses arrive late or not even leave because they're broken down. This leads me to my most recent experience on 2Dec. As always, the bus is supposed to depart Hampton, VA at 5:40PM. I depend on this bus to leave on-time so that I can take the metro to another bus which stops running at 10:30 PM. Because this bus was broken, I had to have a friend drive me to DC which cost us both time and money.
    I feel sorry for every customer you had on your bus because I received an email at 9:27 PM stating another bus should be arriving in an hour. REALLY!? The bus was supposed to leave at 5:40PM and another bus doesn't even theoretically arrive until 10:27? You left all these people sitting out in the cold -- I'm not sure how your company is still in business.

This is only my experience on the return leg of my trip. As I left DC that earlier Friday, 30Nov, they had to bring in another bus because there was a mechanical problem with the bus that arrived. We didn't actually leave D.C. until probably close to 10 or 10:30PM. It appears there is a trend with Megabus being unreliable and mechanically unsound.

I told myself I should never use your service again. However, since I have two complimentary round-trip tickets because of my most recent problems, I'm considering booking the 8:45PM bus leaving Washington, D.C. to Hampton, VA on 21Dec and returning at 5:40 PM on 25Dec. Although, what guarantee do I have that my bus will actually leave and return? I'd rather not be late for Christmas festivities and I cannot afford not to show up to work on the 26th. I have no faith in your service and I need some assurance I will actually get to where I need to go.

Christopher S.

-----Original Message-----
    From: inquiries@megabus.com [mailto:inquiries@megabus.com]
    Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 7:59 AM
    To: Christopher S.
    Subject: RE: Bad second & first experience

Dear Christopher,
    Megabus.com strives to provide you with the best possible service, and when you feel that it fails to meet your expectations, it is important for us to know. We apologize that you received service that prompted you to contact us with a complaint, and we regret any inconvenience or frustration that your experience has caused you. Unfortunately we are unable to honor your request for 3 round trip tickets. I can assure you that the appropriate measures will be taken to avoid a reoccurrence. Your patronage is important to us, and we hope you will continue to give us the opportunity to serve you again.
    Thank you for using Megabus.com we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,