High Sales Taxes
The City of Chicago has the highest taxes in the United States on purchases at 10.25%. So if you are looking at a large purchase be aware!!
There are also many places to shop in Chicago. You can find just about anything you need. Be sure you don't overpay in some of the tourist markets, like North Michigan Avenue.
If you are flying in from outside the US and/or you are not a US citizen, do allow *plenty* of time to get through passport control. This really matters hugely if you are flying onwards within the US, as I was.
It took me over 1.5 hours to be processed on arrival at T5 when I arrived midday on an August Monday. The queues for US citizens and for 'aliens' were equally long, and our bags were dumped in the middle of the baggage hall by the time we actually got through.
I may well have been unlucky, although friends and relatives have also experienced substantial delays on arrival.
Either way, make sure you have *plenty* of time if you are flying onwards, especially as you are probably going to change terminals as well. I'd suggest you allow at least 3 hours between arrival and departure times.
And on the way back, expect to queue for security at T5. Again, perhaps I was unlucky (as were friends and relatives) but I queued for an hour +. There were only two staff checking the documents of several planeloads of people, which was what caused the delay.
Basically, whatever you may read about Heathrow.....assume O'Hare may well be the same, and plan accordingly.
There's nowhere much to eat or drink landside in T5, and very little airside. You need to know that too.Related to:
- Family Travel
The Peninsula Hotel in Chicago is an absolutely wonderful hotel! Every detail is thought through and...more
One of the prettiest, sleekest, nicely designed hotels i've been in.more
I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to discover Chicago on foot! It is located...more
Latest Chicago Hotel Reviews
- ACME Hotel
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
- The Avenue Hotel Chicago
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
- Congress Plaza Hotel
- Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 19 Reviews
- Hostelling International Chicago Summer Hostel
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
- The Silversmith Hotel & Suites
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
- Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 10 Reviews
- DoubleTree Hotel Chicago - Magnificent Mile
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 9 Reviews
- Days Inn Lincoln Park North
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
- Hotel Sax Chicago
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
- Best Western River North Hotel
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
Explore the World
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- Cagayan de Oro City Hotels
- Bacolod City Hotels
- Davao City Hotels
- Boracay Island Hotels
- Munnar Hotels
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- Pulau Mamutik Hotels
- Portland Hotels
- Broad Ripple Hotels
- St. John's Hotels
- Winnipeg Hotels
- Kuching Hotels
- Beijing Hotels