Des Plaines Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Des Plaines

• spartan's Profile Photo

Paradise Pup: Kick ass burgers, hot dogs & sausages

by spartan Written Aug 5, 2013

If you happen to watch the FoodTV network, I'm sure you've seen the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Well Guy Fieri (the host) happened to stop by Paradise Pup where he did a show on the food made here; specifically the burgers. They are very good and and well worth the wait as there will be a line to get in.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Char Bacon Burger (which came with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, sautéed onions), fries and a drink.

Chung's Restaurant: Chinese Lunch

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Their webpage logo

I often went here from the Institute for lunch. The base price was $5.95 for the lunch specials, which worked out to $6.95 with tip for a total bill.

Their website says: "made to order and made fresh from only the highest quality meats, poultry, seafood and vegetables. Moreover, we can create your own sensational taste.

"We are Cantonese & Mandarin cuisine. Our menu is very unique which you may hardly could find similar in town. You could order some thing like Dim Sum, rice and noodle bowl, salad bar, smoothies, or free juices which you won't easily find other Chinese restaurants.

"We are total MSG free"

Favorite Dish: Lunch specials:

Served from 11:00 A.M.-2:30 P.M. Tuesday thru Sunday. All lunch combination plates served with fried rice or steamed rice and cookie

L-1 Sweet and Sour Pork w/ Egg Roll $5.25
    L-2 B.B.Q. Pork with Broccoli w/ Egg Roll $5.25
    L-3 B.B.Q. Pork with Fresh Mushroom w/ Egg Roll
    $5.25
    L-4 Moo Shu Pork with Chinese Crepes w/ Egg Roll $5.50
    L-5 Eastern Platter
    Fried rice surrounded by Egg Roll, Chicken Wing, Fried Shrimp and B.B.Q. Rib
    $5.25

Once I got a really nice fresh asparagus dish. I usually got hot tea. I also like Kung Pao chicken or pork.

Their website says that dinner dishes are $8.50 to $9.50 each and the signature dishes are $12.50 to $17.00

• Study Abroad

Perry's O'Hare Area Catering Cafe & Pizzeria: Express Eating at the Airport

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Logo from their card

I got a chicken pita at the airport for lunch. I usually got pizza or something like that when I was waiting for my plane at the airport. In addition to the airport operation there was a regular restaurant:

Hours of Operation
    Monday - Thursday
    11:00 AM - 11:00 PM
    Friday - Saturday
    11:00 AM - 12:00 AM
    Sunday
    12:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Favorite Dish: I have not been to the actual restaurant, but the following comes from their webpage:

"The staff at Perry's pride themselves on freshly prepared, delicious food, which is always offered at reasonable prices. The restaurant specializes in casual, family style dining in a lively and inviting atmosphere. The menu offers an exciting array of selections, including soups and sandwiches, fresh salads, Mexican and deli selections, chicken and seafood specialties, fresh made pastas, broiler items, and pizza. Customer favorites include Chicken Quesadilla, Chicken Pepperanuta Sandwich, Wisconsin Blue Cheese Burger, Cajun Catfish, Shrimp and Tortellini Alfredo, Fettucini Alfredo Primavera, and Perry's Famous Panzarotti. Perry's also features daily all-you-can-eat specials and a selection of beers and fine wines. Perry's offers convenient carry-outs and prompt delivery all day long! Every Item on the menu is specially packed and available at the convenient carry-out counter. Since 1967 customers have trusted Perry's to enhance their special occasions. A full range of on and off-site catering options are available."

Choo Choo: Good weekend breakfasts

by DSwede Updated Apr 16, 2008

I used to live about 5 minutes walk from the Choo Choo. The novelty of this small restaurant is that they serve your dishes to your table by means of an electric train that circles the restaurant. A great place to bring young kids.

Favorite Dish: All dishes are all good. It is a burger joint, so obviously the burgers are the way to go...

Don's Dock: Fresh seafood deli

by DSwede Updated May 14, 2007

Don's Dock

Don's Dock has been open since the 1930's. They offer up deli-style seafood and fish sandwiches and lunches.

They also offer many of the fresh catches on their ice displays to be sold by-the-pound, same as a fish market.

Favorite Dish: Their lunch specials are always a good bargain. Their monthly special is always a good choice. The last time I was there it was a grilled swordfish sandwich.

Open 10am~8pm, closed on Sunday

Paradise Pup: The Small Place with BIG TASTE

by DSwede Written May 14, 2007

Paradise Pup

Open only during the summer months, Paradise Pup is a wonderful place to go on a sunny day. The restaurant is small, seating only a few people inside, but that is not why you go there.

The burgers constantly rate amung the city's best, and the outdoor seating on the picnic tables gives you a good breath of fresh air!

Favorite Dish: The burgers are large, juicy and wonderful

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

Mr.Pup: A Meal on a Bun

by tayloretc Updated Jan 24, 2006

WYSI(exactly)WYG

"Voted #1 by Chicago Sun Times for BEST hot dog"

If you can put it on a bun they serve it, with all kinds of toppings in whatever combination you want. They serve a few things not on buns too - soup, fresh salad, 1/2 rotisserie chicken. Quick, inexpensive, and tasty, and call ahead for really fast pickup.

Giordano's of Elk Grove: Deep Dish Pizza

by grandmaR Updated Jul 11, 2003
    Pizza from their website

This is an Italian restaurant primarily known for their pizza. They also do delivery, which was important as I didn't have a car.

From their website - from an interview in 1992

"My brother Joseph and I both own and cook for Giordano's. We were born ina small northern Italian town near Torino, where our mother was know for her exquisite dishes. Of all her repertoire, though, my family was most fond of her deep-dish, double-crusted pizza, which she made on Easter and stuffed with ricotta cheese.
    I loved her pizza so much that when I came to America in 1967 I took a job at a pizza restaurant, pleased to be near my favorite food. but the pizza there was only fair-not nearly as good as Mother's. And, as time passed, I tasted pizzas at other restaurants, I was surprised to find that the very best around didn't approach the worst of those I'd eaten back home in the old country.
    So I opened my own pizza restaurant....

Favorite Dish: At least once on every Chicago trip you have to have deep dish pizza. I think I got the10" Deep Dish CHEESE with 3 ingredients for $14.50 - probably pineapple and ham. Even a 10" pizza is a lot for me to eat by myself - I probably had some for breakfast the next morning.

Pine Grove Restaurant: Part of the Best Western

by grandmaR Updated Jul 10, 2003
    Best Western from  their website

I became aquainted with this restaurant when I stayed at the Best Western. So when I stayed up the road across the canal at the Doubletree Club Hotel, I either walked down the street or crossed over the canal and came here to eat. The address of the restaurant is Rosemont, but I've listed it under Des Plaines because I could walk to it from Des Plaines.

The restaurant is right on the corner, and there was also a limo service headquartered here, so there are always a lot of limos parked out front.

MON-SAT -12 am.
    SUN 6 am-1 am.

Favorite Dish: The first time I came, one of our party was astonished to find Orange Roughy at such a good price. So I had that and enjoyed it. The name had put me off before. I've eaten here several times since. My meal in 1997 cost $12.05

Their website says: "We offer over 50 dinner entrees including, Seafood, Beef, Pork, Poultry, Italian and Greek Dishes and Salads. We flame broil all our Steaks and Chops. The items we are most proud of are our New York Strip Steak (14 to 16 oz.), Fresh Salmon, and Grecian Chicken. Pine Grove has a large well stocked Service BAR. We offer a large variety of beers and wines."

Au Bon Pain Bakery/Café: Light Meals

by grandmaR Written Jul 10, 2003
    From their website

This restaurant is in the Doubletree Club Chicago Hotel where I was staying for a training course. It was set up like a cafeteria or deli. Everything was alacarte. I was happy to have something on site, but it was not very relaxing. Nice but lonely to eat alone, and the guy that I was traveling with was not really reliable or friendly. That meant that I often ate alone and felt somewhat alienated. I don't think that was because of the facility however.

Monday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM Friday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM
    Tuesday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM Saturday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM
    Wednesday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM Sunday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM
    Thursday - 06:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Favorite Dish: From their website:

"The Au Bon Pain Bakery features freshly baked items as well as a variety of wonderful sandwiches, soups and salads . The Café' also offers a wide selection of gourmet beverages and of course, Doubletree's famous chocolate chip cookies."

I had dinner there twice - once for $9.69 and once for $11.31. I also spent $4.44 there on another day. I suspect that I had bought food at Jewel-Osco near where my course was and supplamented it with food from Au Bon Pain.

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Des Plaines

Comments

Des Plaines Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Des Plaines restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Des Plaines sightseeing.