Evanston Favorites

by Dabs
  • There is much new construction in Evanston!
    There is much new construction in...
    by klarson
    Mather Place at The Georgian in Evanston
    by deecat

Best Rated Favorites in Evanston

Mather Place at The Georgian in Evanston, Illinois

by deecat Updated Jun 3, 2005

Favorite thing: On our tour of Evanston, we walked passedMather Place at The Georgian, an imposing structure. We asked our tour guide, Katja, about it.

She explained that it is a residence for older adults who do not want the responsbilities of home ownership. It's a great location because it is just steps from fine dining, shopping, and cultural opportunities in downtown Evanston. It is also close to Northwestern University and Lake Michigan.

The facility offers "remodeled apartments with full kitchens, a shuttle bus and town car transportation, housekeeping services, dining in the Crystal Dining Room, an outdoor garden, a medical clinic on the premises, and valet parking or nearby garage parking."

This building is a former Grand Hotel, but, as Katja explained, it cannot accommodate enough up-to-date facilities and structures for handicapped or invalids. It has been renovated several times, and there is not anything more structurally that can be done safely.

Some people wish to tear down the structure; others are trying to make it into a Landmark structure. Time will tell.

Fondest memory: Since I am very fond of architecture, I found it interesting to hear about the Mather Place at the Georgian and all the complications in older structures.

On the one hand, it would be a shame to tear down such a place, but safety is important when dealing with the elderly.

Mather Place at The Georgian in Evanston
    • Seniors

Evanston Library

by deecat Updated Jun 3, 2005

Favorite thing: Evanston's Public Library is an attractive three-story red brick building that is relatively new. I was impressed with the "airy" feeling I felt because of the many sources of light.

Our own VT tour guide, Katja, took us to the Library to show us a suspended sculpture called a "Ghostwriter" by Ralph Helmick and Stuart Schechter.

This piece of art is incredible. It consists of 2500 separately cast aluminum elements that are suspended on 900 wires! Katja pointed out that there is a head composed of over 1500 cast aluminum letters. The head does not resemble a man or a woman and you cannot tell the nationality either.

Another element in the sculpture is a spiral passing through the center of the piece. The artists say that "it is a metaphor for imagination & creativity." (I was unaware of it when I viewed the piece!) But I was aware of all the symbols floating throughout the piece that have to do with Evanston such as leaves of trees (trees that are here in town), the Grosse Pointe Lighthouse.

It is suspended in the grand stairway. The photo was taken by Katja because I was not tall enough to see over the rail...stop laughing!

The library is open:
    Sunday 12:00pm-5:00 pm
    Monday-Thursday 9:00-9:00 pm
    Friday& Saturday 9:00-6:00 pm

There is a parking lot for the library so parking is not an issue.

They have a web site and an on-line catalog at:
    www.epl.org

Fondest memory: Seeing the hanging sculpture was really interesting and enlightening. I would like to go back when I have more time to peruse the library and check out all that it has to offer.

Oldest Building on Campus at Northwestern

Favorite thing: Please CLICK to see the PANORAMIC photo

The high-Victorian Gothic building is the University Hall building on the campus of Northwestern University in Evanston. It is the oldest building on campus and was completed in 1869 and is made of Joliet limestone.

It is located at:
    1897 Sheridan Road
    Evanston Campus

Today it is where the English department is housed along with American Studies, Asian American Studies, and International Studies, but it originally housed a museum, a library, a chapel, classrooms and meeting rooms.

The class of 1879 gave a gift to the university in the form of a clock for University Hall's highest tower. Then in 1880, the class gift was the bells for the tower.
    I found University Hall to be one of the most attractive of the places I saw on my tour of Northwestern University.

Fondest memory: While we were viewing The Rock, I turned around and saw this lovely limestone building and decided to snap a photograph. I decided to use panoramic setting to take in the entire tower. It is not the only tower, but it was the one nearest me.

I later discovered that inside University Hall there is a webcam focused on The Rock.

Panoramic of University Hall at Northwestern

Dawes Park in Evanston

by deecat Updated Jun 3, 2005

Favorite thing: Click to see panoramic of Lagoon and the ducks!

Another place that we walked to on our tour of Evanston was Dawes Park.

We stopped at the Lagoon and took photographs. Katja told us that on July 4th each year, people come, blankets in hand, to watch the fireworks over the lake.

It's a delightful park and Lagoon...the ducks were enjoying it on the Saturday that we were there.
    In the winter, the Lagoon serves as an ice skating rink.

There is the Lagoon Picnic Shelter (located adjacent to Lake Michigan at the north end of the Lagoon at Dawes Park, Sheridan Road at Church Street)

People who live in Evanston can rent the shelter from 11 a.m.-8 p.m. daily from May 24-Labor Day. It cost $25.00 per hour. You make the reservations at the Dempster Street Beach Office.

Fondest memory: It was fun seeing this city park by the Lake and watching the ducks enjoy it too. I was especially delighted because Katja (who lives in Evanston) was so enthusiastic about it.

I find it so much more enjoyable to learn about a new place when someone who lives there shows me the sites and sights!

Dawes Park Lagoon, Evanston, Illinois
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

• deecat's Profile Photo

Our Own Vt Tour Guide: Pedersdottir (Katja)

by deecat Updated Jun 3, 2005

Favorite thing: What a delight to have a personal tour guide while discovering more about Evanston and Northwestern University.

Katja lives in Evanston and was gracious enough to offer her services for a tour after our VT Lunch/Meeting.

The photo shows Katja explaining Evanston's new construction. RMDW (Robert) is visiting Chicago from Canada and is listening attentively to the information.

We learned about the new restaurants that have opened in and around the Metra. She gave us the background information as to how this renovation and new construction had come about.

Fondest memory: I always find it more enjoyable to learn about a new area from someone I know and trust. It is also fun when you are with intelligent, friendly, fun people such as the VT members Erik, Ron, Kristi, Robert, Lisa, and Katja.

Not only did we enjoy this private tour, but Katja also gave us maps and brochures to take with us.
    All-in-all, I learned a gread deal, enjoyed the company, and relished the beautiful Fall weather.

Katja and Robert on tour of Evanston
    • Museum Visits

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Written Apr 25, 2005

Favorite thing: Standing near Lake Michigan, you can look to the south and see the skyline of downtown Chicago which is about 12 miles away.

Instant Answers: Evanston

Comments

Evanston Favorites

Reviews and photos of Evanston favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Evanston sightseeing.