Freeport Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Freeport

Factories (2)

by zrim Updated Feb 16, 2003

The Rawleigh Building

The companies that were operating when I grew up were called: Micro Switch, Kelly Springfield Tire, Furst-McNess, Rawleigh, Newell, Structo, Burgess Battery and I am sure there were several others I don't remember.

Factories (1)

by zrim Updated Feb 16, 2003

Plant 1, Micro Switch

The heart and soul of towns like Freeport. Without the big factories, these towns would have been no more than small agricultural towns.

This photo shows Micro Switch, Plant 1. I worked one summer at this factory. Hard monotonous work and long hours. I am glad to have spent only one summer here, but for many people it is their everyday reality.

Downtown

by zrim Written Feb 25, 2003

All commerce has moved to the outskirts of town leaving the center of town somehwat rundown.

I guess K-marts, Wal-marts and fast food are what people want, but it seems a shame that the historic centers of our towns and cities often turn into ghost towns.

• zrim's Profile Photo

The view from my backyard

by zrim Written Mar 30, 2003
    pastoral setting

This is what I looked out at when playing in my backyard as a child. It was great fun to go into the cornfields and build forts.

Instant Answers: Freeport

Comments

Freeport Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Freeport off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Freeport sightseeing.