Galena Nightlife

• deecat's Profile Photo

Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub: If You Can Tolerate Smoke

by deecat Updated Jun 11, 2007

Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub

Jill and I were excited about visiting the Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub with its live entertainment and good food just a few miles down the road from our Time Share on US Highway 20, Galena.

Unfortunately, both of us are quite allergic to smoke, and when we asked for the non-smoking section, we were so disappointed to learn that it is all smoking. Thus, we had to decline.

When Frank O'Dowd"s Irish Pub first opened in Galena, my husband Allan and I visited. It was late afternoon and very few people were there. We had drinks and some appetizers and just loved it. So, I had been telling Jill all about it. I had no idea that it was an "all smoking" establishment. That certainly is rare in this day and age.

In addition to Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub, the location is called The Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel. Since we did not stay there, I have no comment, but from the outside, it looks darling.

Dress Code: Dress is casual here at Frank O'Dowd's Irish Pub in Galena.

• Music
    • Beer Tasting

• deecat's Profile Photo

Music on Main: An Unexpected Treat in Galena

by deecat Updated Jun 11, 2007

All Ages Dancing in the Streets

Also unknown to Jill and I when we made arrangements to stay in Galena for one week in a Time Share outside of town was the fact that "Music on Main" would be going on that weekend. After a day's tour, we were walking down main street in Galena and heard lots of live music. So, we investigated.

Right in front of the Post Office, the street was roped off, and was filled with every age group imaginable. And, to make it even better, almost all of the people were dancing!

The band that we heard was a classic rock band, and the audience was really enjoying their music, as were Jill and I. I took this photograph [which is not great] because I have a small digital, and, of course, all the moving dancers in the dark made for a somewhat blurred image.

Dress Code: Casual dress was the order of the night. It was a warm evening, so people had on shorts, bermudas, jeans, slacks, summer skirts and dresses.

• Festivals
    • Music

Instant Answers: Galena

Comments

Galena Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Galena nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Galena sightseeing.