Related Illinois Favorites Tips

Macy's on State Street

Most Viewed Favorites in Illinois

Salem, Illinois:Gateway of Little Egypt

by deecat Updated Sep 26, 2004

Favorite thing: I was born in Salem, Illinois, and lived there until I was nine years old. My father worked for what was then called The Ohio Oil Company and is now called Marathon Oil Company. We moved because he was transferred.

Our situation was unique...we lived next door to my Mother's parents. My Father's parents died when he was a boy, and my Mother was an only child, so all of us were close to my grandparents. We lived in a small house that my father and grandfather built. It was kind of out in the country and a great place for a child to grow up.
    Located 90 minutes from St. Louis, Missouri, via Interstate 64, Salem, Illinois, has a population of about 8,000 with three elementary schools, one high school, and a community college. There is also a town hospital in Salem.
    Salem's most famous citizen was William Jennings Bryan (The Silver Tongued Orator).
    Salem is also the home of the G.I. Bill of Rights which was written at the American Legion Post, and it assisted veterans of active service in the Armed Forces during World War II..
    A local restaurateur at Max Crossett's Cafe created a salad dressing called Max's X-tra Fine Salad Dressing in 1931. It was so good that the Kraft Company bought it for $300.00 and renamed it "Kraft's Miracle Whip"!
    Salem is called Gateway of Little Egypt because in 1820 a severe drought hit northern & central Illinois so wagon loads of people came to Southern Illinois to obtain food for themselves and their livestock. This was compared to the Biblical story of Israel going to Egypt to purchase grain; thus, southern Illinois became known as Egypt or Little Egypt, and Salem became the
    "Gateway of Little Egypt".
    Salem is the County Seat of Marion County so it has the Marion County Court House located on the town Square
    I remember vividly visiting the town park that is called Bryan Memorial Park where there are tennis courts and a swimming pool.

Fondest memory: My parents and grandparents used to tell us about the great Oil Boom which started in the 1930's just after the Depression. By 1939, Salem 's oil industries and land owners were part of a business which had the second highest amount of oil production in any one area. (93 million barrels were pumped from Marion County's farmlands and sold for fifty cents a barrel!)
    My grandfather talked about the enormous amounts of MUD created by the Oil Rigs being created in the worst of weather. The mud in the fields was four feet deep!

Note: The photograph I have selected is of my sister and I as children. We look like "rag-a-muffins" because we always played outside for hours and hours, and, as you see, got mighty dirty. You can tell from the photo that we certainly had little money but lots of love.

Dee Dee & Ronda in Salem in 1944

• deecat's Profile Photo

Oil and Candy Do Mix In Robinson, Illinois!

by deecat Updated Sep 26, 2004

Favorite thing: I lived in Robinson, Illinois, from the age of nine until my early twenties. I have fond memories of this southeastern Illinois town of about 7,000 people near the Indiana border. My sister and some of her family still live there, so I go back to visit every once in awhile. It certainly has changed. The local teen hang-outs, The Cream Pitcher, The Sugar Bowl, & The Deck Teen Center no longer exists; the Carnegie Library still stands but is no longer used as the town's library; instead, a new modern library now exists. The drugstore with its soda fountain is no longer open; some of my former grade schools are gone and replaced with newer schools in different locations; and all the wonderful clothing stores and Root's Department Store have long ago departed.
    But, it still has that Midwestern friendly down home feel, and the Court House on the Square still stands as do the banks, the Dog N'Suds(where I worked as a Car Hop), and the Robinson Community High School where I was active in Drama Club, Student Council, Pep Club, Newspaper Staff, the Senior Class Play, "Rebel Without a Cause", and Varsity Cheerleading. The First Christian Church(where I went to church and Bible School) still welcomes parishnioners. Oh, yes, and the Methodist Church (where I was married) is still open and active.The original Health Candy Bar Offices are closed, but Hershey Company purchased it and still makes the original Heath Candy Bar...and The Marathon Oil Refinery still lights up the nightsky and provides almost 600 jobs for the community.

Fondest memory: When I was growing up in Robinson, the two most important employers were Heath Candy Company and Marathon Oil Company's Refinery. My father worked for Marathon in the offices, and so Marathon played a big role in my life. That refinery has been around a long time...established in 1906! They produce, refine, and deliver petroleum and natural gas products. They specialize in exploration, development, production, refining, distribution, and marketing of a much needed product in the USA. The original office of the Heath Company was located near our house, and I just always thought it would be there forever.
    It was found in 1914, by the Heath family. Their most famous candy was the Heath English Toffee Bar" which was conceived in Robinson and is still produced solely in Robinson (in the former plant that is now Hershey's Chocolate Robinson.) Heath had the first Pepsi-Cola bottling franchise in Robinson in 1935. I remember in 1964, a new Pepsi plant was built at the west edge of Robinson on Rt. 33. Actress Joan Crawford (then Chairman of the Board of Pepsi) came to Robinson to dedicate the facilities. Heath then built a new candy plant next to the Pepsi plant in 1967 and sold Pepsi Francise in 1969. The Heath Family ran the company until 1989; at that time it was sold to Leaf, Inc. and then Leaf sold to Hershey.
    So in my memories of Robinson, Oil and Candy do mix quite nicely!

Note: Photo to show the time period when I grew up in Robinson, Illinois. This is my prom photograph from 1959!

Dee's Senior Prom, Robinson

• deecat's Profile Photo

Once a Small College. Now, a Large University.

by deecat Updated Sep 30, 2004

Favorite thing: When I attended Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, Illinois, from 1959-1963, there were about eight to ten thousand students; today, the university has two campuses that total more than thirty five thousand. During my stay there, emphasis was on: Education,Culture, Physical and Spiritual Well Being, Social Growth, and Community Service in our lives. Southern was growing faster than any university in the country, It had already skyrocketed from a small institution for teacher training into a diversified educational center.
    I personally was studying Business Education with a minor in English. It was the English that won my soul; thus, I taught English for over thirty years after graduating.
    The Library, the Student Union, the Science Building, and Thompson Point Dorms were all brand new. I lived at Thompson Point where I looked out on the Campus Lake, and I had to walk from the main campus through Thompson Woods to reach my dorm. What a fantastic place to live.!I stayed there all four years; my last year as a Resident Counselor.
    I met my future husband there; I learned the importance of a well-rounded education, and I learned about the importance of the natural environment there.
    John F. Kennedy visited as a Presidental Candidate. The Four Lads and the Diamonds both entertained us there!
    I learned about Egypt since the area was Little Egypt. The yearbook is called Obelisk; the team mascot is the Egyptian Saluki Dog, Towns around Carbondale had such names as Cairo, Thebes, and Dongola!

Fondest memory: Besides my academics, I was an SIU Cheerleader, a member of Pi Omega Pi (a national honorary Business Education fraternity, on the Social Council for my Dorm, and I served as a Resident Counselor for one floor in my Dorm.
    I especially loved the Campus Lake, which had been in operation for only two years. It provided swimming, boating, fishing, picnicking, and a place to commune with Nature. Only Southern's students & faculty were allowed to swim there. The Canoes, rowboats, paddle boats, a a surplus amphibian craft called the "duck" certainly provided fun. We could picnick around the lake on the ground or at one of the numerous Geodesic dome shelters. The Campus Boat House provided the setting for dances, picnics, and contests at SIU. Scattered around the lake were many cement fishing piers. This place was greatly appreciated because of the strict car ban instituted because of a lack of space.
    Carbondale and SIU were my home for four years, and I have such fond memories of this beautiful place.

Dee as Cheerleader at Homecoming Bonfire
    • Adventure Travel

New Schools, New Place to Live: Lake Bluff

by deecat Updated Oct 1, 2004

Favorite thing: Allan had an opportunity to go back to the Northern Suburbs in Lake County, Illinois to his first school, Lake Bluff Jr. High School. Dupage County in the western suburbs had become so congested that we wanted to go to a more rural area. Thus, we moved to
    Lake Bluff, Illinois. We lived in four different homes in Lake Bluff, and we loved all four of them...all completely different styles.
    Our first home was a rental Duplex that had been the Gardener's Quarters for the Field Estate (the Fields of Marshall Field & Co. Fame!). It was awesome with it's stucco exterior, its dark wood floors and woodwork, and its location on a beautiful Ravine about half a block from Lake Michigan up on the Bluff. We loved it and the neighborhood, but we had been married for twelve years and were still renting, so we bought our first home, which was a low-slung, flat-roofed , 4 bedroom Ranch. This was another lovely neighborhood. We only lived there one and a half years because the real estate market was so "hot" that we sold it to the first "looker" at a huge profit. We purchased a small Victorian down by Lake MIchigan and lived there for one summer; then we realized it was far too small and purchased the Cape Cod close to Allan's school.
    The photographs show the four seasons in Lake Bluff at our Cape Cod Style home. CLICK to get the full concept!

Fondest memory: Lake Bluff is next to Lake Forest, Illinois, and is on a Bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. Thus, its name....LAKE BLUFF. It's a tiny village with a few stores, a nice park, a great beach, good schools, and outstanding natural settings of ravines, bluffs and huge Oak trees. We stayed in this amazing town until Jill was ready for 5th grade. We did not want her to have to have her father as a teacher in Jr. High School. Looking back, I think that was a mistake because the Lake Bluff/Lake Forest schools were far superior to where we moved.
    Come visit Lake Bluff, this incredible North Shore Community.

4 Seasons in Lake Bluff, Illinois

Taught There, Lived There, Shopped There

by deecat Written Oct 1, 2004

Favorite thing: With our daughter Jill off to college, Allan and I moved closer to our job locations. Since I worked at Warren Township High School in Gurnee, Illinois, we decided to rent there for awhile. We rented a fabulous Duplex that was huge (3,000 sq. ft.!)
    The photograph shows part of the Great room and its fireplace.
    We discovered that we did not need 3 bedrooms plus a loft den, Great Room, Dining Room, Eat-in Kitchen, 3 and a half baths, utility room, full basement, two and one half car garage plus a deck! We also didn't need to spend that much money!
    We stayed one year, but it was a great year because Gurnee is a super place to live.
    a. Close to the Illinois Toll Road.
    b. Plenty of places to shop such as
    Gurnee Mills Shopping Center
    c. Extraordinary places to "play" such as
    Six Flags Great America
    d. Outstanding places to eat such as
    Saluto's
    e. Good schools such as Warren
    Township High School
    f. Super park district with parks such as
    Viking Park
    g. Plenty of places to stay such as the large
    Holiday Inn on Grand Avenue

Fondest memory: I loved living in Gurnee because that is where I worked; therefore, it was quite convenient and saved so much gasoline and time.
    I loved the home we rented; we were the first to live there, so it was sparkling clean. I loved being closer to the Interstate for out-of-town travel pursuits. All-in-all, it was a grand year we spent in Gurnee!

Rental Duplex in Gurnee, Illinois
    • Theme Park Trips

Warm, Wonderful Waukegan

by deecat Updated Oct 2, 2004

Favorite thing: The years that we lived in Waukegan (about nine years), were certainly happy ones. Waukegan is the ninth largest city in the state of Illinois with a population of about 90,000. The name Waukegan is
    Potawatomi Indian for "Little Fort"

The racial makeup of the city is:
    44.80%= Hispanic or Latino
    31.76%= Caucasion
    19.21%= African American
    3.58%= Asian
    .54%= Native Americans
    .06%= Pacific Islander
    There are a many retired people living in Waukegan along with many young families.
    It was established as a French trading post in the late 17th Century and was incorporated as a city in 1859.
    Waukegan is located next to Lake Michigan about ten miles south of the Wisconsin border and forty miles north of the City of Chicago. Waukegan is commonly referred to as the midpoint between Chicago and Milwaukee ; however, it is still considered a part of Chicagoland.
    Waukegan was at its prime from the 1920s until the 1970s. I remember when there were all the big department stores, lots of clothing stores, jewelry stores, hardware stores, restaurants, hotels, etc. in this beautiful, big city by the Lake. Once the Shopping Malls came, Waukegan seemed to "fold up".
    It is so sad to see it so barren.
    Many citizens are working very diligently to bring it back. I hope they succeed.

Fondest memory: I think my fondest memories of Waukegan are visiting with our wonderful neighbors, Marvella and Bill. Bill made me laugh so much. Our neighborhood was tree-lined and beautiful with modest, well-kept homes that were built in the 1950s through the 1970s.
    Because the value of homes was not going up (in some instances, the value was declining), we decided to sell and move to Libertyville, Illinois.
    Regardless, I still love Waukegan.

Same House, Different Season in Waukegan, Illinois

• deecat's Profile Photo

Lovely Libertyville, Our Hometown Today (2004)

by deecat Updated Oct 2, 2004

Favorite thing: After saying goodbye to Waukegan, we moved to unincorporated Libertyville, Illinois to an outstanding rental home. We rented with an option to buy, which was a great move on our part. We were able to see how much we enjoyed the home, the neighborhood, and the location. All passed the test with flying colors, and so we purchased the house.

See my Libertyville pages for details of this quaint community.

The real positive of Libertyville is the vibrant downtown area where there are excellent restaurants, numerous speciality shops, a lovely Rose Garden, an old-fashioned Movie Theater, and a weekly Market Day all summer. Even though there are several large Malls within driving distance, the community backs the historic downtown area, keeping it open and vibrant.
    The schools that serve Libertyville are very highly rated; the rail transportation is outstanding and located right in the heart of the downtown section. Condell Hospital is thought to be one of the very best in the area; the park district is active and highly accessible. So, one can see that Libertyville, Illinois is a wonderful community to live in and a super place to visit.

Fondest memory: Living here in unincorporated Libertyville is ideal because we are right in the middle between Libertyville and Gurnee and have easy access to both villages. Our home is less than one mile from the Interstate, which is a direct route to Chicago and Milwaukee.
    We pay taxes to the Gurnee Schools, and those taxes are less than those in Libertyville (thank goodness). Our home is located on a dead end street so there is little or no traffic. There is a Wetland protected area behind us so nothing will ever be built there, which gives us further privacy. We feel that living here is just right for us, and we think visiting Libertyville is a grand idea for all of you!

The photograph is one of our home here in Libertyville. See my travelogue on my Libertyville pages to see my many perennial gardens

Our Home in Libertyville, Illinois

Just Married, First Home, First Job After College

by deecat Updated Sep 30, 2004

Favorite thing: In 1963 Allan and I graduated from SIU, were married August 10th, and started our first jobs as teachers! The photograph is an old picture of the apartment house where we lived upstairs{see the outside staircase on the right side}.
    I taught at Grayslake High School and walked there because our home was just a few blocks away. Allan taught in Lake Bluff, Illinois, and drove there.
    Grayslake, at the time, was such a small, rather rural town. There were hardly any places to rent. My school was also rather small. In 2003, Grayslake's population is 20,330. It was established in 1859 and is located in central Lake County approximately forty miles north of the Chicago business "Loop" and fourteen miles west of Lake Michigan. There is a 78 acre recreational lake right in the town.
    Grayslake was named Tree City USA for the tenth year in a row. Nature is important to the citizens of this city. They have bike paths, wonderful parks, and the city is contemplating additional trail systems.
    The downtown is located in the heart of the Village. It includes the historic downtown with its antique lighting, historic storefronts, and its "downhome attitude". There is an Aquatic Center, a Skate Park, Public Library, Senior Center, many fine Schools, and an active Park District.
    The Grayslake Metra Station serves the Milwaukee District North Line between Chicago and Fox Lake. It is also served the the North Central Line between Chicago and Antioch.
    The College of Lake County is located in Grayslake as is the new Multi-University Center Grayslake Campus and the Lake County Fairgrounds.

Fondest memory: The two years that Allan and I spent in Grayslake is a time of fond memories. Our first apartment cost $95.00 a month and was located between the town's two grocery stores! I was given the first cat I ever had by my husband Allan, which began a long line of other cats in my life down through the years. Those two years were times of adjustment to a new place where Allan and I knew no one; a new marriage which we worked hard to keep "interesting"; and new teaching jobs which challenged us each day.
    We survived it all and smile when we think bad on those times in Grayslake.

Our First Apartment in Grayslake, Illinois

A Special Place: Downers Grove

by deecat Written Sep 30, 2004

Favorite thing: To Allan and I, Downers Grove, Illinois plays a special role in our life together. It was there that we brought home our beautiful daughter, Jill Michelle. She was five days old when we first saw her at Lake Bluff Home For Children. The new apartment we were renting once we moved to Downers Grove had two bedrooms, and we made a lovely nursery for her.

The founder (1832) of Downers Grove is Pierce Downer who discovered this huge grove of trees in the middle of the vast Illinois prairie, and he knew it would provide the raw material needed to begin a new village. So you can see why the town was called Downers Grove The railroad soon opened new opportunities to Downers Grove. Once the expressway system was built, excellent transportation was available to the citizens.
    Today there are almost 50,000 people living in Downers Grove, and the village finds itself near total development within its borders.
    The Park District manages over 500 acres of park land in town and has won the coveted National Gold Medal award for the quality & diversity of its recreational pursuits.
    The community has over 1,000 hotel and motel rooms, including two all suite properties.
    The downtown shopping district remains strong with financial services, professional services and retail services. There are also numerous restaurants downtown.

Fondest memory: Our fondest memories, by far, was watching Jill go from an infant to a toddler here in Downers Grove. In addition, a wonderful lady babysat for her while Allan and I both taught, and that woman was fantastic. We appreciate the fine people of Downers Grove who have wonderful values and kind hearts.

Jill in Her Sand Box at Downers Grove Apartment
    • Adventure Travel

Charming Village of Hinsdale

by deecat Updated Oct 1, 2004

Favorite thing: The first time that we rented an entire home was when we moved from Downers Grove to the next suburb called Hinsdale, Illinois.
    We rented a two bedroom home on a beautiful tree-lined street that consisted of much larger, more expensive homes. It was within walking distance of the quaint downtown section.
    There is a wide range of architectural styles throughout the village. These include Italianate, Gothic Revival, Queen Anne, Shingle Style, Prairie Style, Craftsman Bungalow, Colonial Revival, Dutch Colonial Revival, French Eclectic, Tudor Revival, and Plan Book and Pre-Cut Catalog Houses The more modern homes include the American Bungalow, Classic Box, Ranch, and Split-level. Preservation is a policy in Hinsdale administered by the Historic Preservation Commission.
    People first came to what is now Hinsdale via the old Black Hawk Indian Trail. A man named William Robbins, "The Father of Hinsdale,"bought 6400 acres of land in 1862; thus, the village began. He planned and built the streets; more importantly, he planted thousands of young shade trees. At that time the population was about 500; today, Hinsdale's population is over 18,000 residents.
    Presently, Hinsdale is a lovely village of tree-shaded streets, gracious architecture, quaint little shoppes, and a self-supporting business community. "This town combines the charm of the past with the vitality of the future."
    Hinsdale is located off the intersections of Interstate Highway 294 and U.S. Route 34 (Ogden Avenue) or Illinois Rt. 83 & U.S. Rt. 34.

Fondest memory: I remember being told that Hinsdale was a great example of a Railroad Suburb because its distinct landscape is based on the picturesque English ideal of the country house set in a naturalistic, landscaped garden. "Single-family homes were developed near rail stations to allow the wealthy to escape the ills of the city." Well, Hinsdale is, indeed,
    WEALTHY! We could never afford to stay in Hinsdale . . . not back in the early 1970s and not today.
    Our two years in our rented home in Hinsdale was a time when I was earning an additional degree in Special Education, and Allan was a Principal of a local Grade School. We were juggling our jobs with parenthood. Because it was such a busy time, it flew by.
    The photograph is of Jill at our neighbors across the street in Hinsdale, Illinois. She is about three years old.

Jill in Hinsdale, Illinois in 1972

Golf, Lakes, and Country Living: Antioch

by deecat Updated Oct 1, 2004

Favorite thing: We moved from Lake Bluff to build a new home on the golf course called Harbor Ridge (Now it is called Antioch Golf Club) in Antioch, Illinois. Antioch is located midway between Chicago & Milwaukee and has abundant lakes for fishing, boating, or swimming. A wide array of specialty shops, artists shops and antique shops as well as a wonderful Community Theater add to the lure of this village of about 6,000. Antioch is the Northern start for the new Metra System which now makes commuting to all areas convenient. Near the Chain O'Lakes makes it a community for year round activities. The town has great "down home" places to eat, especially on Friday nights for fish fries.
    Antioch was so different from anywhere else we ever lived....much more conservative, which made me feel uncomfortable at times. I'm a much more "inclusive" kind of person than many of the citizens there.

Fondest memory: Building a house is quite an experience! We chose a lot on a hill next to the 7th Fairway...I think that it was the best location in the development. We loved this home because of its location and because we chose the plan and the lot.
    We had our own electric golf cart so we golfed as much as possible. We belonged to the couples league and made many new, dear friends.
    Jill went to Junior High and High School in Antioch and graduated in 1988.
    Our memories are mostly good ones because we loved golf, made lots of new friends, and watched our daughter grow into a young woman there. After Jill graduated from high school, we sold our beautiful home and moved to Gurnee, Illinois.

Home on Golf Course in Antioch, Illinois
    • Golf

A Personal Description of the State of Illinois

by deecat Updated Sep 26, 2004

Favorite thing: Read this to understand the Organization!

This is an explanation of how I am organizing the pages about Illinois.
    I have decided to incorporate a personal view of the state; therefore, the general tips will include all the places (towns) that I have lived in and written from my personal perspective.
    The Must See will be the more typical of the presentation and also less specific.
    I hope you enjoy this style of organization.

Fondest memory: I was born in Illinois, went to school in Illinois (excect for two years in grauduate school), was married in Illinois, taught High School English for 30 years in Illinois, adopted our daughter Jill in Illinois, and retired in Illinois.
    I've lived in the southern and northern parts of the state and enjoyed both.
    I really love the four seasons which we experience, the friendliness of the midwestern people, the opportunities that our state's largest city, Chicago offer, and, finally, the cosmopolitan yet "down home" ambience that permeates the lifestyle of Illinois.
    Won't you join my life adventure here in The American Heartland?

Dee in Her Waukegan Garden

The "Lilac Village": Lombard, Illinois

by deecat Updated Sep 30, 2004

Favorite thing: After Allan and I left Grayslake, we went to Graduate School in Terre Haute, Indiana. When we returned, we found teaching jobs in DuPage County (Western Suburbs of Chicago). We moved into an apartment in the town of Lombard, Illinois. We only stayed there a little over a year, but we enjoyed living in this lovely town.
    Lombard is located 20 miles west of Chicago's Loop. It was incorporated in 1869. William R. Plum moved to what was then known as Babcock's Grove shortly after the Civil War, and he is the reason Lombard is called the "Lilac Village" today. He had an outstanding collection of lilacs that became the nucleus of Lilacia Park, which attracts visitors from out of state and from around the world.
    Today Lombard has a population of about 42,500 and is served by I-290, Tri State I-294, North-South Tollway I-355, East-West Tollway I-88.
    Harold Gray who originated Little Orphan Annie cartoon strip was from Lombard as was the original Morris the Cat artist Sheldon Peck, and the home of Big Idea Productions who created and produce the computer designed cartoon characters called "Veggie Tales."

Fondest memory: It's Lilac Time in Lombard that I remember most. Each May, the village bursts into bloom, and in those first three weeks in May, Lombard celebrates with "Lilac Time". Lilacia Park, in the heart of Lombard, is the focal point of this celebrations. In this 8.5 acre park, 1,300 fragrant lilac bushes and 75,000 eye-catching tulips fill it. There is a waterfall and a gift shop of handmade goods. There are tours, horticultural events, and concerts. It's a great celebration of Nature. The town is filled with landmark homes and businesses.

The photograph is one of the original Morris the Cat who was from Lombard, Illinois.

Original
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Festivals

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo

Chicago is great, but Illinois has it plus more

by Faiza-Ifrah Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Contrary to what is the general perception about Illinois, it is much more than Chicago. It is the land of 42 state parks, of 3 universally acclaimed universities, of a top-most zoo, a top-most theme park, of Monmouth where double faceted Wyatt Earp spent his childhood and obviously of Honest Abe, as Abraham Lincoln is affectionately known and remembered as.

Fondest memory: The fondest memory comes from both the urban and pastoral touch, from ease of travel to 4 adjoining states, from having lived with my parents and brothers and their families in Chicago and later in Skokie and also from my going to school there and my husband going to Northwestern.

Suhail's sister at Apple River Canyon State Park
    • Museum Visits

• grayfo's Profile Photo

History of Illinois

by grayfo Written Aug 12, 2009

Favorite thing: Native Americans inhabited what is now called Illinois dating back to 8000 B.C. Illinois got it’s name from the Illiniwek Confederation, a political alliance among several native American tribes. The Illini suffered in the seventeenth century when they were forced to defend themselves from continual attacks by the Sioux and the Iroquois. The Illini were later replaced by the Pottawatomie, Miami, Sauk, and other tribes.

In the 1670’s Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet became the first white men to see what would later be called Illinois Country. Marquette was a French-born Jesuit missionary and Jolliet an explorer and mapmaker from Canada.

Map of illinois 1833

Illinois Hotels

• The Peninsula Chicago

The Peninsula Hotel in Chicago is an absolutely wonderful hotel! Every detail is thought through and...

• Hilton Springfield

The Hilton Springfield Hotel can be seen for miles. We were never lost because we could always cage...

• Hotel Arista

99 Reviews - 192 Photos
Arlington Heights Hotels
47 Reviews - 68 Photos

Instant Answers: Illinois

Comments

Illinois Favorites

Reviews and photos of Illinois favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Illinois sightseeing.
Map of Illinois