Geneva Restaurants

by TRimer

Best Rated Restaurants in Geneva

The Country House: Voted Best Burgers in the Area

Country House

I have not been to the Country House in a while but from what I remember it was very good. It is across from where the Kane County Cougars play and the Ice Rink. Also, it is on Kirk not far from the outlet malls so a good place to stop after a day of shopping.

Here is some history on the place from their website: In 1922, Emil Kobel decided to build his dream: a country roadhouse where locals could gather for conversation, a cold beer, and a sandwich. He bought a small piece of property on a dirt road (55th street) in what is now Clarendon Hills. He built a two-story frame building and called it The Country House. The first floor housed a tavern and small grocery store. Kobel and his family made their home on the second floor.

In 1974 long-time area resident, David Regnery. purchased The Country House.
    In 1996 the Country House moved to the country when a third location was selected in Geneva, Illinois. The Geneva location also mimics the design of the original but on a larger scale with a spacious Cedar deck overlooking a beautifully landscaped pond.

Favorite Dish: Voted best burger by the Chicago Tribune. They have several types of burgers including regular, buffalo and ostrich. We went here as I was craving a hamburger and could not find one at Swedish Days. Try the "country burger" and the onion rings.

• Luxury Travel

La Za Za Trattoria: Cute Little St. Charles Trattoria

by TRimer Updated Nov 2, 2008

The restaurant's original building was a pharmacy that was converted to a coffee shop and later into the restaurant it is today. They have recently expanded from the original space which was narrow and curvy. Now they have a bar on the main floor (it used to be in the basement) and a large dining room. Unfortunately, this renovation has taken away some of the charm of the restaurant. Also, it has gotten very loud. We were there last on a Friday night and the food was not as good as it had been in the past. Maybe now that they can serve more people serve more generic Italian fare.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes every week. The pasta dishes were excellent. They have a very good wine list.

Unfortunately, unless you have a large party, Za Za won't take a reservation; the wait is often up to an hour or more.

The Geneva Diner: Local Breakfast Stop

by TRimer Updated Nov 2, 2008

A traditional downtown diner established in 1921 that serves hearty breakfasts and lunches of skillet eggs and potatoes, pancakes, sandwiches, and daily homemade soups. Most of the diner is a long bar with stools but they have tables in the back. Be sure to go before church lets out on Sunday or you will either sit at the counter or wait for a table.

Favorite Dish: I tend to stick to the basic eggs with a side of bacon. I also recently added pancakes to my order which were quite yummy.

• Stockholm's: Great Pub Food at A reasonable Price

by Janes_finds Updated Mar 30, 2007

This is not your local pub food. It has more of a gourmet twist and at reasonable prices. The decor is in an old european pub style with which warm wood tones. The staff has always been friendly and I have never had any "Surprises" like I have at a few other local restaurants. They have been consistent with their menu items and is relatively clean.

Favorite Dish: I really love the Gourmet Chicken Salad Sandwich on a croissant. The salad has a mixture of grapes and chicken and is just delicious. I have had the burger which are good. As well as the seafood pasta. They have a filet mignon steak sandwich which is pretty tasty as well.
    Pricing really depends. If you get alcohol and drinks it is more. A sandwich may cost around $8. Pasta dishes are around $12.

• Graham's Chocolates & Ice Cream: Don't Forget Ice Cream!

by Janes_finds Updated Apr 4, 2011

Graham's actually has 2 locations just doors from each other on Third St. One locations specializes in handmade chocolates that are to die for and homemade ice cream. The other is more of a coffee shops with some pastries, drinks, and homemade gelato. I have had a variety of things from both locations. The chocolates are great, but the ice cream and gelato is wonderful. They offer classic flavors as well as innovative flavors. I really am not an ice cream fan, but I have to get ice cream from Graham's. Both are located in historic homes. There is outdoor seating, with big wooden lawnchairs and their other location has fondue and indoor seating at tables and around a fireplace.

Favorite Dish: I really love the double dark bitter chip in ice cream or gelato flavors. A lot of time, it is sold out. Sometimes, if a flavor is sold out, I will walk down to the other location and see if they have the flavor. Gelato and Ice Cream are really not that different to me and they are both delicious. I also had a coconut almond that is wonderful as well. The fondue is great and Graham's 318 offers a variety of fruits, cake, other items to dip into this sinful treat. Try them both! Prices are very reasonable for ice cream. Graham's offers shakes, cones, and chocolates. The chocolates are about equivelant to Fannie May but really a better quality and they are made fresh. Graham's 318 fondue is a little more. For 2, I think it is in the $10-$12 range. I have no complaints...

Bien Trucha: Sshh- Don't tell anyone about this place

by TRimer Written Nov 2, 2008

When I read the reviews of this place, I thought "how good could this place be in Geneva?" Boy was I wrong. The problem though is that they only have 6 tables at the moment. Which means that when we tried to go the first time on a weekend the wait was 2 1/2 hours. We returned on a Thursday at 5:30 pm and by 6pm all the tables were taken.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant serves tapas style. We started with the guacamole that even my husband who won't usually touch the stuff loved. I had steak tacos which were very yummy. I highly recommend the cucumber margarita. Can't wait to go back!!!

Szechuan Palace: No MSG, No Taste

by TRimer Written Nov 2, 2008

Moving to the far Western Burbs we figured that we would have to give up some of the amenities in the city. We knew we would miss our favorite Vietnamese take-out place and our cupcake store. But we did not think we were moving to a place that we could not get any asian food. In an effort to seek out new places to eat, we decided one night to try this place. I have asked other people I have met since about their recommendations and this place keeps coming up. Guess we just won't eat Chinese out here in Geneva.

Favorite Dish: We think the waiters thought we were on drugs because we could not stop laughing. The food had ABSOLUTELY no flavor. The sizzling rice soup was like heated water with some vegetables. The "spicy" chicken dish was neither spicy nor tasty. We quickly ate, had the leftovers wrapped and proceeded to exit the restaurant where we dumped them in the nearest trash receptacle.

• JonnyB82's Profile Photo

Munchie P's: Delicious fried food...

by JonnyB82 Written Oct 21, 2004

The food in the recently renevated Munchie P's is delicious. Quite a run-of-the-mill eatery, by the standards of gyro places, or generally... meat places. They serve hot dogs, brats, polish sausage, italian sausage, gyros, fries, onion rings, and many other selections, fish and miscellaneous side items. Prices hard to beat for the meal you get.

Favorite Dish: I'll eat pretty much anything from Munchie P's.

Instant Answers: Geneva

Comments

Geneva Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Geneva restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Geneva sightseeing.