Kankakee Travel Guide

Patrons at Lunch
    Exterior View

Kankakee Things to Do

by riorich55 Updated Dec 22, 2010

When I'm eating alone in a restaurant on a business trip I usually try to strike up a conversation with the wait staff and if I either over hear part of a conversation that I can add something to or see someone I think might be interesting to talk to I do so.

I was sitting at the next table over from this gentleman a couple of weeks ago. He had a very interesting Route 66 shirt on and we got to talking about Route 66 and who he was and I was, etc. Of course I always mention that I'm with VT and asked this gentleman if I could take his picture. He agreed and here is the result.

Don't be shy, say hi!!

A Local Gentleman
    • Motorcycle

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

by Toughluck Written Jun 1, 2009

Founded in 2001 by Harold Woods. Located at the North End of the Historic Illinois Central Depot, thanks to the City Of Kankakee, in downtown Kankakee.

Even on a closed day, it was interesting walking around the old Illinois Railroad Station and looking into the 'rolling stock' on the tracks. Can't wait for a chance to be there when it's open. Also, when Amtrak comes rolling through (it's a stop on the City of New Orleans route.)

• Museum Visits
    • Trains

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

by Toughluck Written Jun 1, 2009

Haven't been yet. It is said to features a collection of the works by famed sculptor George Gray Barnard, along with Indian artifacts, local history and the restored 19th Century homestead of Dr. A.L. Small.

• Museum Visits

Kankakee Hotels

Kankakee Restaurants

by riorich55 Updated Dec 4, 2010

When I get to a town on business that I haven't really been to before one of the first things I do when I settle in (hook up the computer that is) is to go on the Internet and search for local places to eat. I'm really not a "chain restaurant" type of guy and am always on the hunt for those local eateries. I'm always taken aback by some reviews people give about local places and the quality of food. The people that give those negative reviews of local places must by those "foodies" who are expecting everything gourmet. But, I digress.

On my 2nd full day in town, I ventured out to Carlo's Restaurant on the west side of Kankakee, based upon the little information I had read on line and also by the recommendations of the local people I was working with. Again, a real good indication that the place will be good are the number of cars in the parking lot and when I arrived shortly before noon the place was packed. I took a seat in the middle of the dining area and began my people watching adventure.

The place was hoping. The wait staff was scurrying around what seemed to me like a very well rehearsed choreographed production. My server got to my table within a minute after I sat down and immediately took my drink order and gave me my menu. I noticed also that they had a white board near the back (cooking area and cash register area) where they listed the 7 specials of the day. All by the way very reasonably priced. With menu in hand and white board to review, it took me several minutes to decide what my stomach felt that it needed for its afternoon nourishment.

Favorite Dish: My decision was one of the daily specials - the BBQ pulled pork with curly fries. The order came out very promptly and was just the right size for me. I say the right size for me, since I'm the type of guy with a big hamburger or big sandwich that will usually only eat 1/2 and then take the rest home. The right size means that I finished the BBQ sandwich and most of the curly fries. Although for my taste the BBQ pork could have used a little more tangy sauce the pork was very tender and the bun very fresh and soft.

I noticed while I was eating that they also had homemade pies. I'm not a cake person and usually politely decline most birthday cakes, but I have a weakness for homemade pies even if I can't eat them when I order them. I also have a weakness for coconut, so when I saw the Coconut Creme pie on the daily pie menu, I ordered that To Go. (Editor's Note - Had the pie later that evening in the hotel room - delicious).

I took a couple of pictures inside the restaurant which will hopefully give you a flavor of what to expect when you visit. I took a couple of pictures of a gentlemen at the table next to me wearing a Route 66 shirt and when he asked what I was taking pictures for I explained to him about the VT website. He then graciously posed for a picture of himself at the restaurant.

So if you are looking for a good homemade restaurant with great pies, check it out.

Exterior View Patrons at Lunch

by riorich55 Updated Dec 3, 2010

While in town on business for a couple of days I always like to try the local "joints". Having had lunch there just about a hour ago and with a few minutes to spare I thought I would write a quick review.

You have a pretty good feeling for a local restaurant when you see the parking lot full of cars. Showing up just before noon and already the place was jumpin'. There were only 2 tables available in this "choose your own table and sit right down" type of place. The first table was for 4, but right near the door and with the temperature in the 20's that wasn't where we wanted to sit. So we moved to the other section of the restaurant away from the front entrance and sat at a corner booth that would have easily fit a party of 6 (there were only 2 of us).

A few minutes later our server came by, brought us our menus and then came back a few minutes later to take our order.

By the time we placed our order the line standing inside the front entrance was a dozen deep making me feel a little guilty for having taken the larger table (but not too guilty)

Favorite Dish: My co-worker had the breat of chicken sandwich with an order of fries, while I opted for a cup of chili and then a patty melt. Both portions were just the right size for me. The chili with plenty of oyster crackers in packages tasted really good on a cold day and the patty melt (basically a hamburger patty served with grilled onions on rye bread) was very flavorable.

We'll probably make it back next week for one of their breakfasts, since they were 1/2 side of the 2 sided laminated menu and since we have a work day starting at 5:00 a.m. next week, we'll be plenty of hungry come 7:30 or 8:00 when we get a chance to eat.

Most meals under $8.00.

• Kankakee Hotels

9 Hotels in Kankakee

Instant Answers: Kankakee

Comments

Kankakee Travel Guide
Map of Kankakee