Macomb Travel Guide

• McDonough County Courthouse, Macomb, Illinois
    McDonough County Courthouse, Macomb,...
  • National Registry of Historic Places: Sherman Hall
    National Registry of Historic Places:...
    Sherman Hall Sign

Macomb Things to Do

• Places I want to See on Next Visit

Because Allan and I were only there for one day for a specific purpose (To see the college football game), we did not have time to do much in Macomb. Here are some places I would like to see:a. The Old Bailey House [1887] at 100 South Campbell [309-833-1727]It is an Eastlake style Victorian that is maintained by the McDonough County Historical...

• Visit Western Illinois University Campus

Be sure to see all the photos of the beautiful Sherman Building, the first building built at WesternWestern Illinois University has about 12,000+ students and is able to provide personal support and attention to its students. It was established in 1899 and was first called Western Illinois Normal School.Today is offers 47 graduate undergraduate and...

• McDonough County Courthouse

As Allan and I drove around the square in Macomb, Illinois,, we noted that the McDonough County Courthouse really dominated the downtown square. Its architecture is Second Empire Revival. The building is made of limestone and red brick. All the literature I could find says that it was built in 1879 and cost $155,370.00. Also, it was renovated in...

Macomb Hotels

Macomb Restaurants

Sullivan Way Outdoor area 1 more image

by deecat Written Nov 8, 2007

As Allan and I were leaving Macomb, we drove around the Courthouse Square several times. Soon, I noticed a sign over one of the buildings that read, Sullivan Taylor Coffee House. I love coffee specialty drinks so I asked Allan to park so I could walk a block and purchase a Mocha.

I was impressed with the "laidback" ambience of the Sullivan Taylor Coffee House. The also serve Soups and Sandwiches as well as goumet coffee and specialty drinks.

I really like the outside seating area called Sullivan Way [ see photograph]. It is really an alleyway between Sullivan Taylor and another building.

I noticed that on Mondays there is an Art Showing that is usually art of a local or of an University student.

The Coffee House is open:
    Mondays through Fridays from 7:00 am until 5:30 pm and on Saturdays from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm.

Favorite Dish: Since I've only been here for a short time to order a take-out, I'm only aware of the Mocha over ice that I ordered. It was really delicious.

Macomb Nightlife

• BobD's Profile Photo
    The Grove

by BobD Written Jan 26, 2003

Above the square the Shady Grove Band play for a group of 70s retreads as well as new followers. There are a variety of clubs in Macomb with live music.
    Seeing old friends as well as meeting new ones is what makes the Shady Grove reunion a special event.

Macomb Transportation

Allan in the Western Illinois Faculty Parking Lot

by deecat Written Nov 8, 2007

We drove from Bloomington, Illinois to Macomb on a Saturday morning. It took us about one and a half hours. it was on a two-lane well-kept highway.
    The scenery reminded me of Iowa. There were mostly farms, barns, and flat countryside.

We drove into town and ate lunch at Student Center on the Western Illinois University Campus. We had sub sandwiches that were excellent. Our car was parked in a faculty parking lot, which was allowed on weekends.

It was a good choice for parking because it was near the football stadium, where we were going in a couple of hours to watch Western Illinois University and Southern Illinois University play an important game.

Macomb Warnings and Dangers

• BobD's Profile Photo
    Spare change?

by BobD Written Jan 26, 2003

At times members of the band need to raise cash for the trip home. Beware! They have no shame, and will do whatever it takes to separate you from your money.

Macomb Off The Beaten Path

• Mississippi River

A drive along the Mississippi river is always a worthwhile adventure. There are a variety of small villages as well as Nauvoo, the 19th century capital of the Mormans before their move to Utah.

• Good Hope

The town of Good Hope is near the original Shady Grove farm. An old church there, turned club, provides a warmup party for the band on Friday night. This usually will draw out some of the local wild life.

• Macomb Hotels

9 Hotels in Macomb

65 Reviews and Opinions

Macomb Sports & Outdoors

Southern Illinois Football Team Celebrate Victory 4 more images

by deecat Written Nov 8, 2007

It was a beautiful fall day when Allan and I attended a college football game at Western Illinois University. We were there because Western was playing Southern Illinois University where both Allan and I graduated. We are loyal alumni, and since I was a cheerleader at Southern, seeing Southern play brings back grand memories.

Allan ordered the tickets from the website for the University, and we took two days to enjoy the area. Both Southern [7-1] and Western [6-3] had good teams so we knew it would be a good game....and it certainly was!

We enjoyed roaming the campus of Western Illinois University; we also found the Student Center a great place to eat and use free computers; and we surely loved the outcome of the football game.

Western Illinois University was ahead during most of the game. I had even said to Allan that I was not impressed with Southern's team during the first half of the game. However, SIU came alive in the second half of the game, and at the last minute were able to pull off a win [barely] of 10 points to 9 points.
    Photographs:

1. Southern Illinois University team celebrating their victory
    2. Western Illinois University Marching Band entertained us During the Half Time
    3. Dee [deecat] sitting in the reserved seats waiting for the fans to come [note the Southern Saluki hat]
    4. A bronze statue of a "hurdler" on the track team located at the football/track stadium
    5. A bus load of loyal fans had come from Carbondale to cheer on the team

• Adventure Travel

Macomb Favorites

• Macomb, Illinois

Would you believe that when Macomb was first settled [1829], it was named "Washington", but when the town was founded a year late as the county seat of McDonough County, it was named after General Alexander Macomb; thus, the name Macomb!General Macomb was a general in the War of 1812. Congress of the United States awarded war veterans land grants...

• Jammin at Argyle

Lake Argyle is a wonderful setting for a jam session. Good friends and good music. The best parties in Macomb always involved live music.

• Lake Argyle jam

Catch a Shady Grove reunion. From time to time the Shady Grove Band return to Macomb for another 'final performance'. Nearby Lake Argyle provides the perfect spot to start the weekend festivities. For those who attended college in Macomb Lake Argyle was the place to relax and party. It still is. Music was always a good way to get people together....

Instant Answers: Macomb

Comments

Map of Macomb