Naperville Restaurants

Our salmon and tuna.
    by shrimp56
  • My birthday
    My birthday "cake" ice-cream, praline...
    by shrimp56
  • Restaurants
    by riorich55

Most Recent Restaurants in Naperville

City Gate Grille: Power Lunch, Naperville Style

by shrimp56 Updated Mar 31, 2013
    The bread & tomato spread /restaurant interior

A pretty, dark wood space with plenty of natural light during lunch. The lunch menu is fresh and updated takes on traditional dishes. It's not the 4 Seasons in NYC, but it will do for Naperville power lunchers.

My companion had a gorgeous burger, while I had the pictured Lobster Bisque and SPINACH & GOAT CHEESE | shaved pear, toasted pecans, & fresh blackberries with a blackberry-white balsamic vinaigrette Salad. The Hibiscus ice tea was from Republic of Tea and very flavorful.

Favorite Dish: The lobster bisque. For me a successful version of this soup is not about the amount of lobster chunks, but the complexity of the soup's flavor. This was a winner.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Catch 35: Quite a "catch"

by shrimp56 Updated Jan 21, 2013

Catch 35

The Naperville Catch 35 is a branch of the Chicago restaurant. It is basically a new American cuisine meets pan-Asian surf and turf. We have eaten here a number of times over the years and have found that both the food and the service can range from superb to careless.
    -------
    On my birthday we returned. This time I had an Ahi Tuna appetizer that was delish and my husband had blackened salmon with noodles. The service was good this time as we'd told them it was my birthday

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious Chilean seabass with a ginger/scallion sauce. My dining partners had the Yellow Fin Tuna and the maine lobster with wild mushroom ravioli, All were very tasty.
    The service was harried and disinterested.
    ---
    On my birthday we returned and the service was attentive.

Q-BBQ: A New BBQ in Naperville

by riorich55 Written Aug 6, 2012

It has been interesting to see the changes that have gone on in Naperville since I started living here in 1979. Restaurants have come and gone. Some have been good and others so-so.

On a recent rainy Saturday afternoon as I was walking around town taking pictures I saw Q-BBQ on the corner and since I had not yet eaten lunch I thought I would stop in and try one of the sandwiches. Looking up at the menu board as I entered I immediately saw the words Smoked Gouda Cheese as part of the Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich. That was as far on the menu as I needed to go as smoked gouda cheese is one of my favorites. After taking my order for a Q-Style Carolina Pulled Pork (Q-slaw, smoked gouda, carolina sauce and toasted), and included side order of green beans with garlic balsamic and grabbing a bottle of Chicago made Filbert Root Beer in a bottle (a childhood favorite of mine) I sat down near the window and awaited my order.

Favorite Dish: At the table were 4 bottles of different types of sauce. Memphis Sweet, Texas Spicy Sweet, North Carolina Vinegar and South Carolina Mustard. As I awaited my order squeezed a few drops out of each onto my index finger and had my own personal taste test. My order arrived with a couple of Q-Pups, the Pulled Pork and Green Beans. As I slowly savored each bite of food periodically putting each of the 4 homemade sauces on the sandwich and dipping the Q-Pups in each I really couldn't pick out a favorite. They were all great.

After the meal I asked to speak to the manager. The owner was there and I told him how I thought this was one of the best new places to open in Naperville and the sandwich and sauces were out of this world. He proceeded to give me a small tour of the "behind the scenes" place.

I will be back and will recommend this place to anyone and everyone!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Arbor Vitae Java & Juice now RED MANGO: A great place to break your day!

by shrimp56 Updated Oct 8, 2011

Now Red Mango

NOW CLOSED, but replaced by a Red Mango, for frozen yogurt and smoothies.

A very family-friendly coffee house. You can get coffee, fruit smoothies, decadent shakes and small things to eat. On occasion there is music and it is also a WiFi internet hotspot. The college students love it as well as mothers shopping with their children.

Rosebud of Naperville: Delicious Italian **NEW LOCATION**

by shrimp56 Updated Oct 8, 2011

Reopened at new location after a devastating fire at the pictured location.Rosebud on Rush has landed in Naperville with a terrace that overlooks the river.

Favorite Dish: The menu includes signature Rosebud dishes that include Chicken Vesuvio, and handmade cavatelli. Also look for the "square noodles"!

Egg Harbor Cafe: Great Place to Brighten Up a Rainy Day

by riorich55 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Egg Harbor on Jefferson in Naperville

On a rainy April Saturday morning my wife and I ventured in downtown Naperville for a late morning breakfast. Apparantly many others had the same idea. But while we waited my wife checked out the store next door while I enjoyed a cup of free Intelligencia coffee and within 10 minutes we were seated. The breakfast/lunch menu is extensive with obviously many egg dishes.

Favorite Dish: This is the 2nd time I have eaten at an Egg Harbor restaurant. There are several in the Chicago area. This time I enjoyed the Cheesecake French Toast which consist of white bread stuffed with a mini cheesecake and browned in a French Toast Batter served with strawberry compote. My wife had the Garden Delight omelette with fresh mushrooms, spinach and diced tomatoes topped with Monterey Jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

• Seniors

Country House - Lisle: Try an Ostrich or Buffalo Burger

by riorich55 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Entrance Inside the Strip Mall

While actually not in my hometown of Naperville this restaurant is in an adjacent suburb of Lisle inside a strip mall (you'll have to look for the sign at the edge of the strip mall). My wife and I hadn't eaten here in years, but now as we are almost empty nesters we are going back to old haunts. This restaurant is one of three Country Houses in the Chicago suburbs. This one has been around for about 20 years with pretty much the same menu. The local favorites are the Ostrich or Buffalo Burgers or else an original burger on rye bread. The Country House in Lisle is now attracting more families since the smoking ban for restaurant/bars went into effect. We had to wait about 30 minutes for a table on a Saturday night but it was well worth it. The atmosphere is very down home and Karen, our server, was very personable and friendly. We had the Ostrich and Buffalo Burgers each of which comes with a side, pickle and cole slaw. Daily specials are available. Check out the website at http://www.burgerone.com/lisle/lsleinfo.html.

Favorite Dish: Ostrich Burger Medium Done. No normal burger after taste and even good microwaved the next day.

• Business Travel

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Sullivan's Steak House: You can steak your dinner on it!

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sullivan's Steakhouse

Sullivans is a very sophisticated steakhouse [with a few other notes] -- the ambiance is warm and bustling with an open kitchen and a glassed in wine wall where you watch the servers climb the ladder to snag their quarry.
    In the bar there was a piano player setting a casual, yet elegant scene.
    Please click on the picture to see the whole image.

Favorite Dish: Our son had a filet mignon stuffed with duxelles of mushrooms. My husband had the pictured thick pork chop and I had a lovely scallop appetizer,. which was more that enough as I shared my son's yummy creamed spinach and my husband's baked potato. We were all very impressed with the quality of the food and the efficiency of the service. It is a "chain", but still has the sense of a very fine upscale restaurant.

10 West: The NEW Best in Town!!! NOW CLOSED

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Competition from the Chicago big guns who have opened outposts in Naperville killed this wonderful restaurant. I will remember our meals here with pleasure.
    --------------------------------
    A very clean, minimally decorated space with excellent southwestern/asian-tinged food.
    This same small house on a small street in downtown Naperville has gone through several transformations in the past few years. After a long run as Sweet Basil's it morphed into David's, then into Elaine's.
    Under all three names the food was good, but not outstanding. Now the same owner that opened Elaine's has opened 10 West [the address] with a considerably better menu.

Favorite Dish: I had the corvina [a white fish] which was presented with a medley of southwestern flavors that worked together nicely.
    **UPDATE**
    We ate here again recently and this time I took pictures! See the next tip for the details!

**UPDATE**
    We ate here for an early New Year's celebration. Pictures of our delicious meal are posted on this tip. Dishes are from the Winter 2005 menu.

The Bangkok Village: Thai delight

by ChartIt Updated Dec 16, 2010

My only real experience with Thai food had been really Pad Thai in chicken, tofu, or beef. I felt like I knew it I was safe with it and it wasn’t until I visited the Bangkok Village did I feel comfortable trying something new and exciting. I have now been to this place on several occasions; it is small and a bit homey feeling. The décor is pleasant and the staff has always been friendly informed about the food they serve. It was in part because of these employees that I felt comfortable trying some new Thai dishes and discovered I adore them and I really look forward to trying new dishes. They have a great chicken satay with this peanut sauce.

Favorite Dish: The Pineapple Curry Shrimp; I admit it I have dreams about it sometimes. It is sweet, with a hint of a chili. I always order extra rice though.

• ChartIt's Profile Photo

Sugar Monkey Cupcakes: Cupcakes anyone?

by ChartIt Written Nov 30, 2010

This is one of my favorite little guilty pleasures. The staff and owner have always been an aboslute pleasure to interact with. The place is in a small historic building that used to be a tailor shop. The store is small, with probably about 8 seats to sit at inside and a large bench in front of the shop. But you can get the most lovely to go cupcake boxes and enjoy your cupcake at a park nearby if it is to crowded. The place is always wonderful and they donate the cupcakes that are not sold during the day to local hospitals and food pantries though they normally dont have extras! The store does close when they sell out of the days cupcakes! They bake cupcakes fresh every morning in a variety of flavors. I have tried quiet a few of them, and though they are expensive (3 dollars a piece or 33 a dozen), they are fresh and absolutly every part of the cupcake is made from scratch without any perservatives and 100% worth it every now and again. Now my family has had a cupcake taste off before and we personally werent as excitied by the chocolate flavors the others were wonderful. They have also started selling cupcake sundae's for the really daring!

Favorite Dish: It is a tie between the red velvet and cookies and cream cupcakes. The flavors were very rich, and their frosting to me is heavenly. I liked the smores but the chocolate flavor was to intense for me. The cupcakes are always moist and sweet beyond belief.

• ChartIt's Profile Photo

Tangerine Cafe: A Breakfast for sure!

by ChartIt Updated Nov 30, 2010

This is a smallish Cafe and they do some major business in the morning and brunch times especially on the weekends. The restaurant was warm and painted full of a variety of shades of orange. It was nice and fit well with the name. When we went the cafe was extremely crowded, and loud; but hey we were there during Saturday Brunch. I was glad to see that the place was busy! The breakfast dishes looked amazing as we saw them go bye. The staff was working like crazy to serve and seat everyone. Though once we sat down we ended up having to be moved, and our waiter disappeared however when we started having difficulties with the food. The bus boys however were very helpful in getting us someone to talk to. My partner had the worst burger either of us has ever had, and the waiter insisted that the patty had been handmade but it defiantly was not. I was rather upset that despite our complaints the cafe didn't offer to take off the horrific burger from our tab; seriously two bites were taken from it. The first he tried, and the second to was my confirming the burgers horrific rubbery taste. Between my wonderful breakfast and that horrible burger i would say the cafe came out about even. The breakfast foods are a specialty here, but avoid the burgers. It is a bit average price wise, but the juices are defiantly expensive. I would probably give this place another shot if we were just doing breakfast.

Favorite Dish: I was so excited by the fact the restaurant serves Gluten Free Pancakes we decided to go! Unfortunately they were out. I decided to suffer later and give the French Toast Supreme a shot, and they were delicious. The Cinnamon Banana Bun French Toast looked even better.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Various: Chicago restaurants in the suburbs

by Dabs Written Oct 24, 2009

A lot of the major restaurants in town have opened suburban branches of their restaurants in Naperville, more I think than any other suburb except perhaps Schaumburg. I prefer to think of these as multiple location restaurants and not as chain restaurants which foodies seem to avoid like the plague. I assume that the quality is about the same as the downtown branch but you can check Yelp.com to see if the suburban outpost ranks as high with diners.

Some that you might want to check out if you are in the area:

Catch 35
    Heaven on Seven
    Hugo's Frog Bar
    Joy Yee's
    Lou Malnati's
    Morton's
    Portillo's (OK this one can probably be called a chain!)
    Sullivan's Steakhouse

• descant1's Profile Photo

Biaggi's: Try the Bruschetta Classico

by descant1 Written Oct 1, 2009

Well, I'm not really a fan of Italian cuisine but this place is 8 minutes away from my home and they have Kids menu. The restaurant is nice and clean, also the light dims occasionally that changes my mood. We started with calamari fritti and BRUSCHETTA CLASSICO. The calamari is fine but the bruschetta is really good. I ordered VEAL PARMESAN as my entree which was not so bad but I tried the same dish before somewhere which I thought was better. We tried their Tiramisu for dessert which I really don't like, it was soaked with thin coffee syrup which made the texture of the pastry like a cookie dipped in a cup of coffee. Although the Cannoli was great.
    The waitress was nice, she explained to my son how to use the olive oil and cheese to a bread. And hey, we got a nice table and spot. But.. what ? room temperature coffee ? no way, she replaced it with freshly brewed and apologized. Was it a satisfying dinner ? Not really.
    I think we will go somewhere else next time.

Favorite Dish: Bruschetta Classico

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Meson Sabika: Spanish tapas

by Dabs Written Jun 23, 2009

Queso de Cabra

This was our 2nd visit to Meson Sabika, a lovely Spanish restaurant, in Naperville. We both recalled the last time we visited that it was in a more rural section of the city so I think they may have built up the area since our last visit or maybe it was just the route we took.

The restaurant has a lovely patio with lots of seating so you can eat al fresco should the weather cooperate, it was a beautiful evening and we enjoyed eating outside. There was even a wedding going on nearby on the grounds, we saw the banquet hall set up for them for later in the evening.

The restaurant appeared to be quite busy indoors as well as out, later in the evening on the weekends I imagine reservations are essential. You can reserve for free on Open Table. Our service was very quick and there were plenty of staff on hand to refill water glasses and clear off plates.

Favorite Dish: I wouldn't say this is my favorite Spanish restaurant foodwise although it does have the nicest atmosphere. The prices are suprisingly a bit higher than the ones we frequent in Chicago and the portions sizes smaller. Still we ordered 4 tapas between the two of us and it was enough food.

The dishes we tried were two that we get frequently, queso de cabra ($7.50), goat cheese with tomato basil sauce and garlic bread, and patatas con Alioli ($5.75), a garlic potato salad. We also tried a couple of new ones, pipirrana de buey ($7.95) grilled skirt steak with potatoes and onions and bleu cheese sauce, and buñuelos de cangrejo ($7.50), crabmeat fritters with sauteed leeks and vegetable alioli. I especially like the pipirrana de buey, I probably wouldn't order the crabmeat fritters again as they weren't anything special and had very little crabmeat. The other two were fine.

Instant Answers: Naperville

Comments

Naperville Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Naperville restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naperville sightseeing.