Northbrook Travel Guide

Northbrook Hotels

Northbrook Restaurants

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Updated Jul 25, 2009

For 28 years, Francesco's Hole in the Wall has been a staple for the Northshore and in particular the Northbrook area. Since 1981 this small 17 table establishment has served the freshest food not only because that is the way to do it, but because it is so small there is very little if any storage area. I first discovered this restaurant back in 1982 when I started a job just down the street. A couple of times every month my co-workers and I would race out of our office and try to be there when it first opened at 11:30 a.m. Sometimes missing that window of opportunity time wise meant that we either had to wait 45 minutes before the tables would finally clear or else we would have to come back another day if we were in a hurry. Unfortunately I left the job in 1997 and hadn't been back since.

In July, 2009 however I was passing through the area on my way to a meeting close by and decided to see if the place was still there. It was and looked and felt the same way. And the food. Well, nothing had changed. Usually not a big eater I indulged myself with a small Hole in the Wall Salad with Roasted Red Peppers, almost all of the loaf of hot Italian bread and the special of the day the Country Style Tortoloni which was loaded with cheese. Now, I've got to get back sometime with my wife for dinner as she has never been there.

The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays.

Favorite Dish: I've always eaten one of three things here: #1 The Hole in the Wall Salad which is loaded with Italian meats, cheeses, olives, red onions, lettuce and a great vinagerette salad dressing. For an extra treat try it with artichoke hearts or my favorite roasted red peppers. Both will cost you $2 extra but are worth it. A full salad can feed 2 and costs $8.95 a half salad is $6.95. #2 is the Italian Sausage with Roasted Red Peppers. Ever since I had my first one many years ago I've fallen in love with roasted red peppers. #3 is the Daily Luncheon Special for $4.95. A reduced portion size, but just right for lunch.

It Looks Like a Hole in the Wall Entrance Way Inside of the Hole in the Wall

Instant Answers: Northbrook

Comments

Northbrook Travel Guide
Map of Northbrook