Peoria Restaurants

You're Getting Closer

Most Recent Restaurants in Peoria

• Haddad's Downtown: Great new Downtown spot

by speck41 Updated Apr 22, 2011

The decor of the restaurant first caught my eye. As you walk in you see two fantastic murals.
    One of Lebanon and one of Downtown Peoria. The food was as spectacular as the decor. I had a tenderloin that was spectacular. I definetely will come back again.

Favorite Dish: I had a fantstic tenderloin. It was so good and it did not need anything on it.

• Ned Kelly's Steakhouse: Food From Down Under

by jnadler Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant has an Australian theme to it, but it's a little different from the Outback Steakhouse. It is decorated in an Outback theme, and there are several TVs, usually playing whatever sport is in season. The service you receive at Ned Kelly's is always amazing. Even the hosts are typically very friendly, and I haven't had a bad experience with a server there yet. Although it's a steakhouse, I have to admit, I never order the steak. My boyfriend loves it, it's one of his favorites, but I am too addicted to their chicken ceasar salad to even try anything else. Their skillet cookie makes an excellent dessert--a large, warm cookie, with an ice cream sundae on top.

Tip: Go to their website after visiting to fill out a comment card, and they will send you a coupon for a free skillet cookie!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Ceasar Salad--Ned Kelly's has the best ceasar salad I have ever had. Some nights it's better than others, but I'm never disappointed. This is a HUGE portion, I can never finish it all.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

The Spotted Cow: Wonderful Ice Cream in a Unique Setting

by shrimp56 Updated Mar 29, 2011

The Spotted Cow

The Spotted Cow started as an ice cream store, but now it also has a small food menu. Ice Cream is made right there and is sold by weight. My single scoop cup of Ginger Cinnamon ice cream cost about $1.13!

The owner is a long-time Lebanese resident of Peoria, full of energy and very personable. He also makes great stuff!

The restaurant is full of cow memorabilia as well as a White Sox shrine as the local minor league team is a Sox feeder.

Favorite Dish: Try the Ginger-Cinnamon ice cream. I wasn't going to have any, but I was intrigued. The flavors were subtle, but there. The ginger did not overwhelm the cinnamon, which was, in wine parlance the "top note."

Avanti's: A Local Favorite

by riorich55 Updated Jan 12, 2010

Front Entrance to Avanti's on Main

I first discovered Avanti's as a Freshman at Bradley University back in 1970. It was very convenient to campus (about 100 steps from my room) and made a great alternative when you got tired of the same old dorm food.

The 3rd picture actually shows the dorm where I lived for 3 of my 4 years at Bradley (Harper Hall) and the small building that you see in front of the dorm is where the original Avanti's was until they moved across the street to their current location.

Favorite Dish: The Gondola Sandwich has always been my favorite. See me enjoy a gondola here. I will always stop in at one of the Avanti's in Peoria when I get back into town. There are 3 restaurants in Peoria, 1 in East Peoria and 2 in the Bloomington-Normal area which are convenient if you are driving to or from St Louis off of Interstate 55.

The Gondola Sandwich was under $2 when I was in school although it is now in the $5 - $6 range now. The sandwich consists of their sweet bread (which makes the sandwich memorable), ham, american cheese, salami, lettuce, tomato and salad dressing (not mayo). It is a foot long although you can get a 6 inch version.

You can also order just a loaf of break with butter (we did that often as college students). They also have a variety of other Italian dishes.

The Burger Barge: Great Hamburgers in a Unique Setting

by riorich55 Written Mar 19, 2008

The Sign From The Road

I never actually knew this existed until I was in town on business a couple of years ago. I've been back a few times since for the best burgers in the Peoria area. The following from the East Peoria restaurant descriptions is an accurate description.

Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday
    Description: Family friendly, come as you are restaurant featuring "The Best Burger This Side of Paradise - You Can Bet On It." Offers 13 burgers to choose from, all made from fresh ground chuck. In addition, 14 barge sandwiches are available, served on fresh-made Peligan Bread ("How Sweet It Is"). Also available are appetizers, homemade potato chips, hot dogs, salads and a full bar, not to mention the views of the beautiful Illinois River and plenty of Jimmy Buffett music.

Favorite Dish: A burger with blue cheese. I love blue cheese.

• Beer Tasting

Castle's Patio Inn: The Cheesiest Place in Town

by riorich55 Written Mar 11, 2008

Exterior View Castle Patio Inn

A Neighborhood Bar which has been around at least since I was in college in the 1970's. I spent part of my 21st Birthday here years ago. Last Friday night I was back in town and met up with two old co-workers from the 70's. We had a great time remembering all those crazy days selling computers which constantly needed repair.

Favorite Dish: This is your typical bar which serves a small variety of comfort foods. Daily specials include catfish, burgers and a midwest favorite pork tenderloin sandwich. There are always plenty of free Ritz Crackers and Castle Inn's famous garlic cheese which is also for sale.

• Beer Tasting

Jimbo's Jumbo: It's the Sauce

by riorich55 Written Mar 10, 2008

Since 1976 Jimbo's Jumbo has served its locally famous steak sandwich. Although now the menu has expanded to a variety of other fast serve food including pizza's whenever I am back in down I head down to Pekin, about 20 minutes from Peoria for a steak sandwich which I first experienced when they opened in 1976.

Favorite Dish: The original steak sandwich with pickles, onions and mozzarella cheese.

• Avanti's: Best Bread in Peoria

by jnadler Written Aug 12, 2006

Avanti's has several locations, the closest to me being the one by Bradley University. This restaurant is especially great for students because it is great food at a great price. On Tuesdays they even have an all-you-can-eat spaghetti special for under $5. I especially recommend the bread (it comes with any pasta meal, and some other meals as well), the linguine alfredo, and their turkey gondola (sandwich) with the 'special turkey sauce'. Sometimes there is a line to eat, as the restaurant is not very big, but you typically are served very quickly. At most times, you can easily be in and out within half an hour, but they don't rush you if you want to sit and chat for awhile either.

Favorite Dish: Linguine Alfredo--Avanti's has my favorite alfredo sauce. It's creamy and supposedly made from gravy, but it is so good, it's addicting!

The bread is also great too. They bake it fresh each day, it's a little sweet.

• Jill's on Galena: Jill's on Galena "Culinary Disaster"

by Foodie1 Written Sep 2, 2005

If you are looking for a fine dining experience with great punctual service, knowledgable staff and excellent hot food, you do not want to try "Jill's on Galena".

Order your meat rare, it will be medium by the time you get it, as it was clearly paced under a heat lamp while she prepared other dishes.

To top it off, the atmosphere feel's like a nursing home dining room with elevator music wafting through the air.

Favorite Dish: Dessert - Creme Brulee was very good.

• sarahbeth11's Profile Photo

Avanti's: The best bread ANYWHERE!

by sarahbeth11 Written Mar 24, 2005

Avanti's is the reason I get homesick. In high school I went every single Friday, for pasta before a cross country or track meet. And now, it's the first place I go every time I come home! Their house salad dressing is amazing, a sweet creamy Italian. The bread is to DIE for - usually when I leave to go back to school, I buy a loaf carry-out - for less than a dollar! It's so affordable, you can get the pizza bread (which is excellent) for TWO DOLLARS, and most meals coming with salad and bread are less than $10. Service is quick, and you can dine in, carry out, or have it delivered. Quite possibly the best restaurant EVER - and you can only find it in Peoria!

Favorite Dish: Everyone seems to have something they order every time. For my little brother, it's the Italian Beef with Mozzerella. My signature meal is the small tortellini - their meat sauce is excellent, especially to dip the bread in when you're finished! They also have a bottomless spaghetti special one weeknight every week...can't remember which. But it too is awesome!

• londonlover's Profile Photo

One World Cafe: A little pricey but one-of-a-kind!

by londonlover Written Mar 13, 2005

There's something about an independent coffee shop/cafe in a college town that has its own aura, and One World is like that. While I was at school, I would go here regularly for chai tea, coffee, and the occasional meal. The meals themselves were a little pricey for a college student, and usually served VERY slowly, but they were unusual creations, and they always had plenty of veggie options, including soup.

My main complaint about One World was that, even though there was technically a non-smoking section, the one big dining room negated the effect of this technicality. So my coat would always smell like smoke after I left. They need to work on that if it hasn't changed already. :)

The servers here are very...bohemian. :) But always friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. The music is a little loud, but it's part of the atmosphere, as is the frequent live music by local bands.

Favorite Dish: Chai tea, and their blueberry Mountain Dew! That's right, they mix blueberry syrup into Mountain Dew, and it's an unbelievable combination that always makes me nostalgic about my college years whenever I think about it. :)

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Avanti's Italian Restaurant: My old hangout!

by londonlover Written Mar 13, 2005

Just across the street from Bradley University is Avanti's, the standard staple diet of every BU student! (Especially those subject to dorm food...) :) When I was there, they dished up a mean pizza bread that was my vegetarian stand-by many an evening.

Take-out is available at one entrance, and a full sit-down area with basically the same menu is through the other door. Decor is pleasant but minimal, and service was usually good. The menu is standard Italian fare, but always good portions, good quality, and reasonable prices!

by Ike_2005 Written Mar 6, 2005

The inside is like any sit down restaraunt I guess. Nothing really special that I can remember. I always get carry out when I go.

Favorite Dish: This restaraunt is awesome. I eat there several times whenever I come home on leave. I recommend the pizza burgers or the gondolas. A pizza burger is basically a meatball sandwich, but it's the best meatball sandwich I have ever eaten. A gondola is a submarine sandwich made up of mostly italian meats like salami and pastrami and it has some veggies on it as well. The bread is the big secret to both sandwichs I think. If you're ever in Peoria you should check this place out.

Instant Answers: Peoria

Comments

Peoria Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Peoria restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Peoria sightseeing.