Robinson Restaurants

1950's Drive-In
    Red Apple Restaurant

Best Rated Restaurants in Robinson

• deecat's Profile Photo

Dog N Suds Drive In: Still Here After All These Years!

by deecat Written May 22, 2008

Famed Dog N Suds Logo Sign

When I was in high school, I worked for three years as a Car Hop at this very same drive-in restaurant.

The third photograph is me in the required "car Hop" uniform....white leather cowboy boots, short [and I mean short] red pleated skirt, white blouse, and red/gold vest!

At that time, it was about the only "fast food" restaurant in Robinson. The Dog N Suds is famous for its Root Beer, French fries, hot dogs, Scrambled hamburger meet made with onions/mustard, and other various kinds of sandwiches.

My greatest fear was people "stealing" the very coveted "baby mugs" that we placed our Root Beer
    in for children. People loved them so much, they would take them. Unfortunately, the car hops had to pay for the missing mugs.

Favorite Dish: It's great to go to a restaurant that is so "retro". Not having to get out of your car is really great. The food is fresh and very good. I'm not a big fan of fast food, but I did like the scrambled hamburger [mustard and onions]. There's not another restaurant that serves them. The root beer is outstanding. It sure brings back wonderful memories for me.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Red Apple Restaurant: Breakfast Served All Day Long!

by deecat Updated May 22, 2008

Red Apple Restaurant

Ask most locals in Robinson, Illinois, and they will tell you that their favorite meal at the Red Apple Restaurant is their super Breakfast. This popular restaurant is busy all day, but it is especially busy for breakfast.

The inside is open and light and comfortable. The service is friendly, dependable, and efficient.

The menu includes Oriental Stir Fry, Steaks and Chops, Italian Specialties such as Mostaccioli, Spaghetti, Ravioli, Fettucini Alfredo and much more. They have appetizers such as Chicken Wings, Cheese Sticks, Potato Skins, Nachos, Onion Rings, Jalapeno Poppers [to name a few]. A popular item on the menu is their Gourmet Burgers. Their Fish dishes include Shrimp, Walleye, Catfish, Cod, and Salmon.

They also offer Club sandwiches, all kinds of salads, and a separate children's menu.

But, as I said, I want to concentrate on the Breakfast. Yum.b

Favorite Dish: The breakfast is served all day long, They have huge omelettes made with three eggs; steak and eggs, skillet dishes [Meat Lovers, Irish, Vegetable, and the Hobo Feast], and all kinds of pancakes and French Toast.

My personal favorite for breakfast is the Pecan Pancakes!.

So, when you find yourself in Robinson, Illinois, make sure that you drop in at the Red Apple Restaurant. After all, you can order breakfast all day long.

Pizza & More [Oblong, Illinois]: Best Little Restaurant in Crawford County

Pizza and More Restaurant in Oblong, Illinois

On a Sunday afternoon in May, My sister and brother-in-law, and I ate in Oblong, Illinois [a town about 8 miles west of Robison. On their suggestion, we went to Pizza & More. It's a small place located on a side street in this village. The restaurant is in a residential neighborhood and looks like a home. It's a delightful place with a "down home" sort of environment.

The place serves all kinds of food besides Pizza. One of Larry's[brother-in-law] favorites is pork chops served with mashed potatoes & gravy and green beans. The portions are large and the menu is extensive, especially for such a small place. An added bonus is that the prices are very reasonable.

Only one waitress was working, and she was ever so friendly and quite efficient. For instance, when I order my cola, I always ask for two slices of lemon. They did not have lemon slices; instead they had lemon juice which she suggested I use. She said, I myself always use lemon juice in my cola too!". Coincidentally, that is what I use at home, also [even the same brand.]

Favorite Dish: On this Sunday, we were headed for the Oil Museum just outside of Oblong and didn't want a huge meal. Thus, we all three decided to order individual pizzas. What an excellent decision that turned out to be.

I ordered one with olives and Pepperoni [on the top so that the Pepperoni is crispy]. It was so perfect. The individual is about four slices, and I devoured it. The crust was delicious as was the sauce.

My sister had the Vegetarian with onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives, and extra tomatoes. It sure looked "yummy", and she, too, devoured hers.

Larry had the Meat lovers which he certainly enjoyed.

As a pizza place, it is outstanding, and from the comments of friends who sat at the next table, they thought their large Sunday dinner was "perfection"!

Subway: For a Quick Healthy Meal

Subway Restaurant in Robinson, Illinois

Although I'm not usually a "fast food" kind of eater, I do enjoy the franchise restaurant known as Subway.

The Subway in Robinson, Illinois is especially nice. It is quite clean; the people behind the counter are very pleasant, and, best of all, they work as a team to make the process faster and more efficient.

This is a very busy place so efficiency is of the utmost importance. While visiting my sister in May, 2008, I had driven for 5 1/2 hours and was really hungry. Since my sister and brother-in-law were both still working, I knew I needed a meal to tide me over. When I saw the Subway sign, I turned my car in without hesitation.

Favorite Dish: The Subway franchise goes out of its way to offer healthy choices. They have about five different kinds of homemade bread, offer apples, yogurt, and plenty of vegetables.

I always order the Veggie Delight, which has the fewest number of calories. I choose Wheat or Oat bread, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, banana peppers [mild], pepperjack cheese, oil and vinegar plus spices. As my side, I get the yogurt, and a diet cola.

They were having a special on the foot long sandwiches for $5.00%c, and I noticed that many people ordered them. I came again one day with my sister, and she had a foot long roast beef sandwich [she took home half of it for another meal].

I'm glad their are healthy alternatives for fast food here at Subway.

Robinson American Legion Post 69: Friday Night Tradition

American Legion

On Friday nights in Robinson, Illinois, my sister and brother-in-law usually go to the American Legion. I've been with them on several occasions, and on this visit to my sister's house, we decided to keep the tradition ongoing.

One reason we love going there is because all we have to do is walk about five blocks. and we are there. Secondly, we enjoy the low-keyed atmosphere; the fact that many people we know eat there on Fridays; and, most importantly, we like the food.

Favorite Dish: I am quite fond of the fish that they serve at the American Legion. My very favorite is the fried catfish. This time, I tried the fillet of catfish. In addition, there is a pretty good salad bar that has puddings, jello, all kinds of salads [the bean salad, I feel, it is the very best.

My sister also chose the fried fillet of catfish; however, my brother-in-law loves something that most people avoid...chicken livers. He was served a huge plate full that was smothered in gravy...oh, my, "a heart attack waiting to happen"! He cleaned his plate. Now, you must realize that he is very thin even though he eats huge amounts and often.

I don't know the exact cost because they would not let me pay anything but a tip; I think the three of us ate for under $30.00.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Robinson

Comments

Robinson Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Robinson restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Robinson sightseeing.