Fox River Trail
This is one of the best trails that you can use for biking, hiking or cross-country skiing during winter months. The trail is 32 miles long and you will experience very scenic trails of the Fox River. You will pass several points of interest: Carpenters Dam, Fox River Shores, Tyler Creek, Voyageur Landing, Shoemaker Nature Center, Fabyan Forest Preserve, Villa Museum, Japanese Garden, Fabyan Windmill, Les Arends and Glenwood Park.
There are also good spots for fishing, so get a fishing rod and spend few hours by the river :)
- Adventure Travel
The White Marble Temple
This temple is in Bartlett (on Rt 59- check out their web site for directions) and it is called "Shikharbaddha Mandir", but everybody at my work place calls it "the white marble temple" since we can really not pronounce its full name. It is an Indian Hindu temple made out of white marble and limestone and it is stunning! I passed by the site the temple is built on every day, twice a day, on my way to work and back and saw this building being raised. I am just sorry that I never thought of bringing the camera with me and take some pictures while it was being raised.
The temple can be visited by everybody. The best time to go for a visit is during the week, but since not too many of us have this option, prepare for a crowded place during the weekends. It is also a good idea to go for a visit during the "Murti Darshan" hours (check out the web site for up to date information), when all the deities are taken out and a certain ritual is performed. Don't worry if you do not understand the language. There are people there that explain to you the whole ritual.
If you decide to go for a visit to the temple, make sure that you follow the rules below, out of respect to the Hindu people who are so kind and allow all of us to experience their rituals and traditions:
1. No shorts or skirts shorter than knee length. No sleeveless tops. You also need to remove your shoes when you enter the temple or the near by Cultural Center Complex. There are shoe racks and you can put your shoes there while you visit inside.
2. You need to check in your bag and your camera before entering the temple and the Cultural Center Complex. No photos and videotaping is allowed inside. You need to turn off your cell phone before entering the buildings and if you have a camera phone you need to leave it in your car.
3. You can not touch anything inside the temple. Also, no food, no drinks, no chewing gum allowed inside. Smoking is not allowed on the grounds (outside or inside) and you need to leave your cigarettes in the car.
- Arts and Culture
This is another stunning Hindu Indian temple that is located in Aurora, IL. It is worth a visit especially during one of the special celebrations. You will learn a lot about the traditions and the people.
Check out their web site for hours and special events: http://www.balaji.org/web/home.aspx
- Arts and Culture
- Historical Travel
If you are into physics...
If you like physics and if you want to learn more about it, plan a visit at Fermilab, the place where you can find the world's most powerful particle accelerator. Fermilab is located in Batavia, IL.
Fermilab is open to public every day of the week from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from mid-October to mid-April and from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. You are allowed to visit just 2 buildings on your own: the first and ground floor of Wilson Hall and the Lederman Science Center, which is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
If you want to visit all the buildings you have 2 options: book a private tour through their web site or join a public tour on the first Sunday of every month, and on Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m.
For more information, you can check out their web site: http://www.fnal.gov/
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices