Springfield Restaurants

Mickey perusing The Feed Store Menu
  • Bowl of Wisconsin Cheese; Cup of Cream of Spinach
    Bowl of Wisconsin Cheese; Cup of Cream...
    The Feed Store in Springfield, Illinois

Most Recent Restaurants in Springfield

• Los Rancheros: If you want to get CHEATED...Eat here!

by Pea_b Written Mar 4, 2012

Shameful! Over charged for an Iced Tea ($6.95)!

Wow...a bunch of crooks! Tried to charge me $6.95 for an iced tea...had them 'fix' my check and came back with change of $5 (I paid with a $20). I asked them how much did my bill end up and he said they "recalculated" - pointing to his head- and bill is for $15?!!! WHAT?? I asked how much was the iced tea then, they said "$1.99"...interesting

Original bill:
    I had the lunch special #1: $5.95; iced tea: $6.96 and sopaipilla: $2.25 + tax = $16.37

New "'recalculated" (magic calculator in the server's head) bill:
    lunch special #1 $5.95; iced tea: $1.99 and and sopaipilla: $2.25 + tax = $15.00

A bunch of MORONs here!! Please avoid this place and pay close attention to your bill.

I don't want anyone else to be subjected to their magic calculators!

• Incredible Pizza: Awesome Family Fun !!!

by al3798 Written Nov 12, 2011

After a fun day at the Lincoln Museum we were looking for an evening activity for our family and we found it at Incredible Pizza. The food was great and the games were awesome !!! My kids loved it and so did my wife and I. We especially enjoyed the lazer tag and the race cars. Incredible Pizza was a perfect end to a perfect day !!! We will definitely return soon.

Favorite Dish: Pepperoni and spinach pizza. It's a pizza buffet, but they will make to order also. Love it !!!

• School Holidays
    • Museum Visits

• deecat's Profile Photo

Trout Lilly Cafe and Coffee Shop: Where the Locals "Hang Out"

by deecat Updated Apr 4, 2011

White Chilli and House Salad

In this university city [SIU Medical School], the Trout Lilly Cafe is a great place to drink coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, or cold drinks as you use your computer. It's also a great place for tourist to eat lunch. It's close to all the tourist attractions and is unique in appearance with a multitude of food and drink choices.

We decided to give it a try even though we knew nothing about it. A good choice, indeed.
    The menu is extensive with lots of coffees, bagels, salads, soups, yogurts, Quiches, fresh breads, daily specials, cookies, muffins, cinnamon rolls, scones, and other baked goodies.

The baked goodie that appealed to me the most is called Black God Cookies made with toasted walnuts and lots of chocolate! I was too full after lunch to order one.

They often have live music in the afternoons, and there are lots of local artists work hanging on the wall for sale.

The cafe is open:
    Monday through Friday 7a.m.-7:30
    Saturday 9 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

Favorite Dish: I love white chilli that is made with chicken breast and white navy beans. Therefore, I ordered it along with a house salad. [See Photo #1]. It was really quite delicious; I ate all of it.

Mickey ordered a cup of soup and a piece of Quiche. She finished all of hers also. [See Photo #2]

The ambience of this place is really something. From the outside, it reminded me of something from the 1960's. Inside was similar.

I was impressed with the friendly workers, the "funky decor", and the delicious food.

Saputo's [Twin Corners]: Owned by same Family for 48 Years

by deecat Updated Apr 4, 2011

Baked Mostaccioli with Meat Sauce

People either love or hate this "old school" Italian Restaurant here in Springfield, Illinois. It is a family-owned restaurant in a town filled with franchises. For me, it was a welcome and a truly authentic place to eat Southern Italian food. It's not fancy, but it's real.
    I read some reviews that were either hateful or gushing with love.

Both Mickey and I loved it; we thought it was the best meal we had during the four days in Springfield. Our waitress was so sweet and very efficient. The Photo #4 is the one that she took of Mickey and I at our table. It's a crowded place with tables close together; it reminds me so much of a favorite spot of mine in Waukegan, Illinois, that is also family owned, crowded, not fancy, but warm and inviting.

I hear that Sabuto's is jam-packed when the legislature is in session and that many of the congressmen eat here. I can see why. They have lots of pasta, many homemade; pizza, and steaks.

I do not know why it is called "Twin Corners", but I saw an old photo on their web of this spot, and it was called "Twin Corners".

Mickey and I would gladly go back and eat at Saputo's if we were ever in Springfield again.

Favorite Dish: Mickey and I sat at the small bar in the front of the restaurant and ordered wine as we waited to be seated. The female bar tender was very knowledgable and quite fun.
    We were seated at a small table for two toward the back of the restaurant and immediately waited on by a very pretty and efficient young lady.

Mickey ordered Homemade Ravioli with Meatballs that came with a house salad. She raved about the Ravioli.

As pictured in Photo #1, I ordered Baked Mostaccioli with Meat Sauce that also came with the house salad. The House dressing was delicious. Infact, I went back the next day and purchased a bottle the that dressing! My baked Mostaccioli was perfection. It was too large for me to finish; however, I wish I could have taken it with me [not a good idea when staying in a hotel].

We were both too full to order desserts so I cannot make a comment about their desserts.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Cozy Dog drice in: ROUTE 66 : Tip 16 - Home of the Cozy Dog

by sourbugger Updated Apr 4, 2011

Inside the Cozy Dog drive inn

"Let me guess, this is the home of another heart attack inducing food substance that you would normally avoid like the plague if you had any brain at all"

"Got it in one"

"So let me guess, the cozy dog...would that be some kind of hotdog ?"

"That's right, covered in batter"

"I'd better ring the ambulance now, and check the travel insurance"

"If you like, but it won't stop me trying one. When in Rome, as they say"

"OK, OK, you win, I'm just glad we are in the mid-west and not Korea. Remember, a dog is not just for Christmas, with good preparation you can make it last to new year in soups and stews"

Next>>>

Favorite Dish: Cozy dogs, obviously

The Globe Tavern: Convenient Location

by deecat Updated Apr 23, 2009

Mickey Beef Sandwich and Fries

One afternoon after a long day of siteseeing, Mickey and I decided to try The Globe Tavern located in the lobby of the Abraham Lincoln Hotel which just happened to be right across the street from our hotel. This hotel has a connection to the real Abraham Lincoln in that it is named after the orginal Globe Tavern where Mary Todd and Abraham Lincoln lived here in Springfield before they had children.

This is a casual pub atmosphere, and the Tavern specializes in sandwiches and salads. We both had a difficult time ordering from the limited menu. Mickey ended up ordering a hot beef sandwich that came with fries. [see Photo #1]. Her comment was not too positive. She did not like the bun that it came on [dry], and there was too much bun and not enough beef. She did like the fries, however.

I ordered the Greek Salad, which was huge[See photo #2, and far too large for me to eat. I could not take it home because we were staying in a hotel room. The salad was good enough with lettuce, tomato, way too many cucumbers [which I'm not too fond of to begin with], black olives, onions, and feta cheese. The vegetables were fresh and crisp, but the salad dressing was overpowering.

The atmosphere in the bar and pub was good. For a weekday afternoon, it was quite busy, especially at the bar [see Photo #3]!

I don't know if I would go back or not. The food was not horrid, but, on the other hand, it was nothing to rave about.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

The Feed Store: Unique Homemade Soups, Sandwiches, Salads

by deecat Updated Apr 21, 2009

Mickey perusing The Feed Store Menu

THE FEED STORE is a lunch restaurant located downtown Springfield on the Old Capitol Plaza. It offers homemade Soups, Sandwiches, Salads, & Desserts. In addition to being a fine restaurant, all the menu items are available for Carry-Out. This restaurant has been open since 1977, but in 1989, they moved to their present location in a circa 1865 building just 5 doors west of the original site. This rehabbed Lincoln-era building is listed on the National Historic Register (See Photo #3).

You stand in line along the right side of the interior, and a friendly employee will take your order...and the only problem is making up your mind from the 6 or 7 varieties of soup per day...they change continuously. Everthing is made with FRESH ingredients. They make Broth, Cream, Seafood, or [during the summer months] chilled fruit & vegetable soups.

Sandwiches are served on one of 8 different choices of breads: Wheat, Sourdough, Bagel, Light Rye, Pumpernickel, Croissant, Baguette, or Herb Focaccia. Cheese may be added to any sandwich [60 cents extra] from Natural Swiss, Colby, Cheddar, Smoked Gouda, or Cream Cheese. It's interesting to note that they offer a wide range of VEGETARIAN SANDWICHES, my favorite being Nuts to Olive You that has lots of Pecans, olives, pimentos, and cream cheese spread thickly on pumpernickel and topped with sprouts and tomato!

In addition, they are offer 5 different SALADS such as the Chicken or Tuna Salad Plate, Macaroni Salad, Fresh Garden Salad, The Plaza [Boston leaf lettuce, shredded Parmesan, dried cherries, sliced red onion and croutons], or The Heartland as a Vegetarian or with either Ham and/or Turkey.

Although we did not partake of DESSERT, we checked them out! All desserts are baked "from scratch" on the premises:
    Carrot Cake, Apple Cake, Black & White Cake [dark chocolate cake topped with a superb Grand Marnier butter icing], Betsy's Vanilla Cheesecake, Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake, or the Cheesecake of the Month.

Favorite Dish: Photo #2 shows the soups that Mickey and I ate. What we both wanted was Tomato Bisque; however, they had sold out for the day! Thus, Mickey chose the Cream Spinach Soup with Mushrooms, and I, luckily chose one of their most popular soups called Wisconsin Cheese Soup (DON'T EVEN ASK THE # OF CALORIES WITH THE REAL CREAM, CHEESE, AND BUTTER!) It was worth every calorie.

The atmosphere is wonderful with light pouring into the ancient building through the lovely large front windows; with the delicious smells wafting the air; and with the laughter and smiles apparant on the faces of contented customers.

• Charlie Parkers: Waste of time

by mstenacious Written Mar 26, 2009

We stopped there because we had seen it on Diners Driveins and Dives. Dive seems to sum it up, the food was horrible- the cheese sauce on the horseshoe tasted like chalk. I only ate a few bites and didn't take a doggie bag. Good thing because I got sick from the little bit I ate and spent the rest of the day in and out of bathrooms.

Favorite Dish: nothing

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Cozy Dog Drive In: Historic drive in on Route 66

by Dabs Written Mar 15, 2009

Anyone who's been to a carnival or state fair in the US will know what a corn dog is, a hot dog deep fried in batter on a stick. The original owners of Cozy Dog claim to be the 1st place to serve up the corn dog and that they invented it while stationed in Amarillo Texas during WWII. Even if they didn't invent it, they have been serving up the "cozy dog" along historic Route 66 since 1946. And happily they changed the name of it from the crusty cur to a cozy dog.

I was expecting from the name that it would be a drive in, a place where you would drive your car and stay in it and have someone come out and deliver your food. But from the old photos on their website, it was not and is not currently set up like that, you go inside to order your food and sit down after ordering. The interior is filled with memorabilia of the restaurant and historic route 66.

Favorite Dish: You have to order a cozy dog if you go to Cozy Dog, don't you? We ordered the Cozy basket with 4 cozy dogs and large fries ($8.95), more than enough food for the 2 of us. Truth be told, a corn dog is a corn dog is a corn dog but if you need a quick meal, this is a perfectly fine place to stop.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Sgt. Pepper's Cafe: Beatles-themed diner

by yooperprof Written Jun 23, 2008

Sgt. Pepper's is a traditional "open-all day" diner/restaurant that distinguished itself with its Beatles' themed decorations, and the 1960s pop tunes that play on its sound system. Relatively inexpensive, popular with families, and serving breakfast all day, Sgt. Peppers seemed to be a very popular place when I was passing through.

One feature of the menu is "the Horseshoe," a Central Illinois favorite. It's a burger patty on a piece of toast, covered with fries and cheese sauce. Wow. I took a pass, however, and had a much more convention chicken sandwich.

A second location is in the college town of Edwardsville, just outside of St. Louis.

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Maldaner's: Great food and lovely decor!!!

by butterflykizzez04 Updated Mar 21, 2007

Maldaner's Restaurant on 6th street

Beautiful Restaurant since 1884..beautiful dark paneling on the walls..lovely tables with white linen clothes..and napkins..sparkling water in lovely glasses..and great food..NO KIDS MENUS...but they do have burgers and grilled cheese..no chicken fingers...lol

Favorite Dish: we ate there for lunch. I had a club sandwich with their homemade potato chips..(didn't like them)..my daughter had fries with cheese sauce..it was good. the fries were good. The club sandwich was on french roll and it was very good. I loved their iced tea as well..I must have drank 5 glasses..a long wait on the food.

• Amber Jack Alehouse: Great place off the beaten path

by amberjack Written Nov 25, 2006

We had a great experience here. The food was great, and the servers made it fun. The Steaks are better that any local chains, yet their prices are cheaper. Nice ambience, but not stuffy. Go there expecting a nice outing.

Favorite Dish: Black Angus Steaks, Catfish, Horseshoes (a local favorite), Hamburgers

• Elane77's Profile Photo

Charlie Parker's: Best Breakfast in Town!

by Elane77 Written Jun 12, 2006

Great breakfast food in a local joint. The building is a quanset hut. A little tip, don't try to eat the stack of 4 giant pancakes. Each pancake is about the size of a large pizza. Yummy!

Favorite Dish: Pancakes, sausage patties and biscuits & gravy.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Charlie Parker's: Excellent 50's Diner

by Sunshine64 Updated Jan 11, 2006

One review described the structure as metal Quonset hut from the outside, but inside it's brightly decorated in the style of a 50's diner. Did I mention that it's bright in there? And a bit loud. And kind of crowded... all the tables were full, but there wasn't a line. This was on New Year's Day, by the way.

Anyway, the breakfast is just what the hangover doctor ordered - your typical American breakfast fare - eggs, bacon, etc. including a pancake the size of a pizza. And the coffee's pretty good. And, this being located in Springfield, IL, they have a couple breakfast "horseshoe" options.

They've won Best Breakfast and Best Diner awards, too.

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

Many: Eat a Horseshoe

by Sunshine64 Written Dec 1, 2003

If you haven't spent much time with a 30 mile radius of Springfield, you have probably never heard of a Horseshoe Sandwich. Although I have seen them as far away as St. Louis, the original Horseshoe Sandwich was invented in downtown Springfield, Illinois. A local tavern, Norb Andy's claims to be the inventor, but it was really created in the restauraunt of the hotel that used to be across the street. I would venture to guess, though, that Norb Andy's has the original recipie.

Favorite Dish: What is a Horseshoe?

It's an open-faced sandwich with toast on the bottom, topped with your choice of meat. Turkey or ham are the best, in my opinion, but you can also get hamburger and pork tenderloin in some places. Depending on the restaurant, bacon and tomato may also be included. All of this is smothered with delicious cheese sauce, and the cheese is then covered with french fries. Talk about a heart attack waiting to happen!

No trip to Springfield is complete without trying a horseshoe.

Instant Answers: Springfield

Comments

Springfield Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Springfield restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Springfield sightseeing.