Wilmette Travel Guide

Wilmette Things to Do

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Baha'i House of Worship 1 more image

by Dabs Updated Oct 8, 2006

The Baha'i House of Worship is free to visit and open to the public when services are not taking place. It's best to check ahead but currently services are at 9:15 am and 12:30 pm on Saturdays.

It's best to visit in the warmer months when the flower filled paths are in bloom.

There is a visitor's center inside on the lower level that gives background information on the Temple and the Baha'i faith as well as information on other houses of worship around the world.

One of my favorite drives in Chicagoland is along Sheridan Road which can be picked up in Chicago by getting on Lake Shore Drive and following the signs for 41. This route will take you right past the Baha'i House of Worship. If you continue north on it, you will go by beautiful lakefront mansions all the way up to Highland Park.

Wilmette Restaurants

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apple pancake

by Dabs Written Mar 16, 2008

Walker Brothers has been around since 1960, the original location is the one in Wilmette, there are now five other locations in the north suburbs of Chicago. I can remember coming here when I was a kid, there was a line on the weekends then, there is a line on the weekends now. I timed my arrival perfectly, my friends were right at the front of the line, there was a line of at least 20 people when I arrived and when we left there were even more.

We dallied a little over breakfast on a Sunday morning, shame on us, you know they want to keep turning those tables when there's a line. Finally they came over a gave us a cue that even we couldn't miss as they asked us if we needed anything else and then proceeded to clear off our water glasses and coffee cups. If you want a more relaxed meal, come at an off hour or perhaps the weekdays are better.

Favorite Dish: I can only tell you about their delicious apple pancake ($8.95), it's the only thing I've ever ordered and until they build one closer to where I live, the only thing I'll ever order! It's a thick dinner plate size baked pancake served very hot topped with fresh apples in a cinnamon and sugar glaze, you can get it topped with French vanilla ice cream but I declined, I am on a diet after all ha ha I don't know that I've ever finished one, I cut mine in half and brought it home for the hubby, OK maybe I had a little more than half but it was really hard to stop eating it!

The rest of the menu is breakfast food, my friends had Sante Fe omelets that looked really good and there is an extensive list of pancakes, waffles, omelets, eggs. They do have a small selection as salads and sandwiches but as their specialty is breakfast food it seems kinda silly to order anything but breakfast food.

Wilmette Off The Beaten Path

• rmdw's Profile Photo
    Bahai Temple - Evanston, IL

by rmdw Written Oct 3, 2003

North of Chicago, in Evanston is the magnificent Bahai Temple. Take the time to stop and visit the temple. It really is beautiful inside as well. And while there you'll learn something about the Bahai religion which is a worldwide organization representing peace and tranquility amongst all of mankind.

• Religious Travel
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Wilmette

Comments

Wilmette Travel Guide
Map of Wilmette